How about this for a nouvelle way of electing your president...

big brother - big brother programme logo
You know that crappy TV show called Big Brother, where they put loads of people in a house for a week where they think it's going to help them get famous but really it's so we can watch them crack?How about we do that with the Presidential candidates, and maybe their vice president candidates?No wait! I know it sounds rediculous but i can think of so many benefits... the public will be able to get to know them on a personal level and better decide whether they are fake, offensive, uncaring etc... they can really pitch their ideas... you can see them on their own without the support of aids etc... it will draw more younger people into politics cause even though they might be boring politicians the controvercy will get you hooked. With this kind of modern technology why don't we use it for the good, rather than fill our screens with idiots who talk absolute crap. Obviously itr would have to be produced by a completely unbiased compnay which might be difficult. So what do you think?
@nuffsed (1275)
I can see some merit in your novel idea. But I am reminded of a sketch in which Billy Connolly warned that just wanting to be a politician should be enough to bar you for life!. Sadly, he has a great point. Another sad truth, is that our screens are so full of crap because that's what we, in largest numbers, watch. The fact is, most people are not capable of reasonable judgement as to who would make a good politician.
@xfahctor (14126)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
The sad fact is, with the growing influence of hollywood in our political proccess, this could theoreticaly be an embraced idea. Many people now are sadly getting their political news from the likes of John Stweert, Bill Mahr and Rosie odonnel. Mtv is becomming the growing source of news for the youth of this nation. I dont expect to turn on fox news or c-span and see music videos, and i dont want to turn on mtv and see news or political debate. Alice cooper (who is a devout conservative by the way), said something like, "if your listening to a rock star to tell you how to vote, than you are as stupid as they are".
@soccermom (3200)
I'd watch it. I'd probably get so engrossed in it I'd want it to be it's own full blown channel! LOL This would be an awesome idea. And they could spice it up by having little challenges and the viewers at home could vote every week, and whoever got the most votes from each party could be the choice for their parties nomination!LOL Hey, this might work! More people vote for American Idol every week than they do for political elections. And every week they could have a special "guest" housemate..week ones guest? Definately Ann Coulter! I personally can't stand her, but having her in the house with all those Democrats would sure be interesting! LOL