Giving away free money?

United States
March 30, 2007 12:06pm CST
I received the same email twice saying that I would be receiving some money via postal mail right today. I should give a certain percentage of the same money to some guy whose name and address are provided at the end of the mail. I was a little surprised because I do not work for any company nor did I borrow or give money for or to anybody. Also I do not know the person mentioned in the mail. The sender is also unknown to me. So, I completely ignored and deleted the mails. Today, a man called up and demanded the money. How he got my name and phone number, I do not know but his voice seemed threatening. I don't know what to do. I am a little scared. Please suggest. Thanks in advance.
1 person likes this
2 responses
@maria_k (925)
• United States
30 Mar 07
Did you sign up for some job online? doing something like a courrier where you would receive am money order, you then cash it and keep your commissionthen send the money to somebody. This one is a scam that get a lot of people loose their money. What ever it is just tell the man that you receive nothing and stop calling you you have reported to the police. If he has any complaint then call the police office.
@RobinJ (2501)
• Canada
30 Mar 07
This is fraud and needs to be reported to the police immediately. Your name and phone number are public unless you have an unlisted phone, and then if you have given that phone number to one person it is no longer considered private. I have received several similar emails from china about lost millions left in vaults and no one to claim them, and I can claim them if I lie and say I am a family member, of course all information will be given to me, and I get to keep about 40 million just for my help in this little scheme, Where do they think I fell out of the tree at. I suppose they are looking for some one as greedy and crooked as themselves. and I suppose that in that case turn about is fair play. They all are all scams and should be deleted. If the fellow calls again ask him if he will take an out of town third party cheque and it is stale dated, but that is the best you can do.