Anonymous Internet Harassment Federal Crime

@Swtrose (3385)
Canada
June 6, 2007 12:02am CST
Are you aware that it is a federal crime to harass someone on the internet and not reveal your true identity? "In 2006, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity." Under federal law when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. It states "Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both." Some argue that the law prevents freedom of speech. I don't think it does and obviously the law doesn't either. Someone should not be able to use the internet to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass, someone anonymously and according to the law they cannot.
8 people like this
9 responses
• United States
6 Jun 07
Hi Swtrose, Hey that is really cool information.I never knew, but I think everyone should be aware of...the internet shouldn't be used as a senseless tool for any harassment.Thanks for the info...it's good!:)
4 people like this
@Swtrose (3385)
• Canada
6 Jun 07
My pleasure! This is really good for me to know now that is why I thought I would share it.
5 people like this
@AmbiePam (85492)
• United States
6 Jun 07
I hope you don't have to use the law though. : )
3 people like this
@Swtrose (3385)
• Canada
7 Jun 07
It be nice if I did not have to get them involved and this person would just get a life.
2 people like this
@RobinJ (2501)
• Canada
6 Jun 07
Hi SWTROSE. My only question is how in the world did president Bush think he was going to police this, as the web is world wide, and billions of emails and discussions go back and forth daily. Sorry Girl it sounds like a feel good policy to me. as it is not workable. The only thing that will work is to disconnect your INTERNET and not have an email address. I have no use for Mr Bush for this exact reason he does silly things that may appear like it is a good thing, but impossible to maintain and do.
@RobinJ (2501)
• Canada
6 Jun 07
SWTROSE, I completely agree that harassment is terrible and should not ever be allowed to do that, as well there has to be a way that you can fight back and have the people that do the harassment be charged and have their ability to harass limited or removed, there has to be in place a cut and dried policy that will work, It appears this is not the case in this law, it is a tag end in a law that is buried in a vague and non workable area
2 people like this
@Swtrose (3385)
• Canada
6 Jun 07
Robin hun, those being harassed online should not have to do that. My husband makes his income from the net. It is what pays our bills, feeds our family etc. We should not be subject to harassment, being followed to sites we join and an entire blog that is dedicated to how evil we are. The person harassing us has no life at all. They eat, live, breath and poop us. lol
4 people like this
@Swtrose (3385)
• Canada
6 Jun 07
You should really visit my husband's site. The internet warning section was removed a few months ago. :)
3 people like this
@AmbiePam (85492)
• United States
6 Jun 07
More people should be aware of this. Perhaps it would stop online harrassment. Because sometimes online harrassment turns into much worse.
• United States
6 Jun 07
I am afraid to ask.
2 people like this
@tinamwhite (3252)
• United States
6 Jun 07
Police Officer and Patrol Car - This is a photo of a police officer and his patrol car....when a person breaks the law they should beware of this site outside their house...LOL
Rose, my friend...wonder why you would be research things like this.....LOL It could not be because of all of the compliments that you have received as of late.....or was it the other comments that made your mind wonder in this direction??? I think that is a good law to have in place...never know when it might be necessary........
@Swtrose (3385)
• Canada
6 Jun 07
For a year and a half I have been harassed online. My harassers has joined mylot and is posting under an anonymous identity. Funny thing is they are not so anonymous.
2 people like this
• United States
7 Jun 07
for those in other countries not usa the law does not apply to them. so if someone from canada or mexico feel harassed they can not claim thi law as it only pertains to us citizens protection.
2 people like this
@Swtrose (3385)
• Canada
8 Jun 07
The person harassing me is in the US. I'm in Canada. The person in the US can not anonymously harass me here in Canada, because it is a crime.
1 person likes this
@butterfly39 (3904)
• Philippines
7 Jun 07
wow!...thanks for beign resourceful. Now I know, but nothing to worry I am not doing it
2 people like this
• United States
6 Jun 07
Hhhmmm then I guess you and a few others would be guilty of this. Sorry I am not trying to be rude or anything like that but I have seen the way you have treated some people on this board and it does border on harassment. *not that you have done so to me
• United States
7 Jun 07
And being sarcastic is not the same as verbally attacking people.
• United States
7 Jun 07
I think it is self defense.
@Swtrose (3385)
• Canada
6 Jun 07
Being sarcastic online is not the same as harassment. You want the low down? I'll give it to you. Can you imagine someone creating a website or blog centered all on you, which says how much they hate you? An entire website or blog dedicated to just you? They are also very manipulating in their tactics. If they don't get their way they will attempt to befriend anyone who they think they can convince to take their side, in an attempt to make you the victim. Harassers know very well that they can create conflict by getting at least one person out of a group to second guess your character. Once they have that they will in return use that to further flame you. They even will use your isp provider or web domain host’s terms of service rules against you, they provoke an angry response to their abusive email to you and then they send the abusive email to your internet provider or hosting company.
1 person likes this
• United States
7 Jun 07
I agree. There are actually cyber stalkers out there. They need to be stopped! Perhaps if everyone that experiences this harassment reported it, we could stop those people who abuse the internet and make it a little safer and more enjoyable for all.
@tredale (1309)
• Australia
7 Jun 07
Its about time President Bush passed a law that actually looks after people, but no I didnt know about this law but it makes perfect sence to me. I have kids that use the computer and its good to see that they may be pretected by a law. With this instant messaging you just dont know who you are talking to and this is a little scarey.