Nancy Oliver

@Mickie30 (2626)
December 29, 2007 1:13pm CST
Hi I want to audition for the part of Nancy in Oliver and wondered if anyone has any advice about her character or about audition techniques and any advice about singing which I am not very good at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
1 response
@lauradl (12)
29 Dec 07
Hi - you don't say where you are from, but I would say accent plays a key role in the part of Nancy. If you're English then the East London accent should be too hard to master, but if you're not, you should try and study this accent in advance - watching the film would be a good start! You should make sure the accent also carries though to your songs, as it really does add to the character and helps to show that Nancy is a working-class girl who cannot escape her roots, even when singing. Good luck with the audition and let me know if you have any specific questions I can help you with.
@Mickie30 (2626)
29 Dec 07
Thanks so much this is really what I want so much I have buried the acting gift inside me for so long. I am now 31 and it is getting very late for me. They want Nancy to be aged 17 - 35 because she is young but looks old. I am older, but actually I look younger. I live in the UK and in my heart the desire to act is so strong. I am worried I won't get this part though due to the fact that I cannot sing well. How much does someone have to want something to get it? I fear it may always be a dream for me. I am married and have a 2 year old daughter and sometimes I feel my dream is selfish because I should be at home. I did get a Btec National Diploma in Acting but that was when I was in my early twenties and I haven't done acting for a while because it hurts too much knowing how much I want this. But, every year I see a musical and hurts a little bit more. I probably sound like a right drama queen and sorry if I do, but I suppose I would be in the right job.
30 Dec 07
Hi Mickie I think it's great that you're following your dream. I'm a bit like you - I did A-Level performing arts, and was always in my local youth theatre, but it seems to have been put to one side as I got older. A couple of my friends have made successes of theirselves, landing parts in West End musicals, and when I go see them I can't deny I feel the odd pang of jealousy!! I have never played Nancy in Oliver, but when I was in college I did a Musical Theatre exam and one of my songs was Oom pah pah. I had to perform it as if it was in the show - costume and all - and then answer questions on her and on the show. It was several years ago now, so I don't remember it in too much detail, but I do remember that it was the song I was able to have the most fun with. I hope the audition goes fantastically, but if you don't get the part, don't be too hard on yourself - there'll be others I promise! As an aside, when I gave up drama at university, I took up salsa dancing, which I still do now. It has totally filled the void and I love it! Maybe something like that would be a welcome escape for your performance side! Break a leg!
@Mickie30 (2626)
30 Dec 07
Hi thanks for replying it is good to hear you love acting also. I have decided to follow my dream maybe that can be a New Years resolution. I love the song Oom Pah Pah and was thinking of singing it for the audition and doing some dancing with it. Its good you found something like salsa dancing to fill the gap. I don't think anything like that would fill the gap for me though. I want to get a really juicy role where I can totally get inside the character. Acting is the only thing that has ever made my blood rush and the adrenaline flow. I know modelling is similar but, I am too old and too small for that.