Are you a quitter? Help me become one too!

@LouRhi (1502)
Australia
March 8, 2008 12:46am CST
I am thinking about quitting smoking, I was just wondering if any dear myLotter friends had also undertaken this plight and whether they had any words of wisdom to offer. Please spare me lectures on how disgusting or bad for my health smoking is, helpful advice is what is needed here. Thanks for your time, effort and assistance
5 people like this
8 responses
@gxnfly (1147)
• China
9 Mar 08
I am a girl and I don't smoke.But there is something smilar plight we can share. At one time ,I felt very sad,then I ate a lots of fast food.Everyday for me was just eating and sleeping.That was really hard times for me.I cound't help myself,the more Ifell upset the more I ate,the more I ate the more I feel upset.I was On a terrible loop,I was a glutton.I know I was in mental sickness.I didn't go to the doctor,I was too scared to see the doctor.I was too shamed too tell anyone about my plight. One day I thought about myself,I knew I would destroy myself if my engorgement didn't stop.I would let my families and myself down.Everyone would dislike me.So I made my commitment ,I told myself :I believ I can do it!I am a good girl !I have every confidence in me! Can you believ it ,I made it! So every time I feel weak I tell myself :You can make it!There nothing you can't do! I believe in you ,You can make your choice too, you can do it! All you need is believing in yourself!
1 person likes this
@LouRhi (1502)
• Australia
10 Mar 08
Thank you so very much for sharing your story with me (and everyone else) I found it very inspiring. I admire your honesty and openness about the subject and I assure you that you have assisted me in my plight. ~may in every way this be a special day~
1 person likes this
@gxnfly (1147)
• China
10 Mar 08
You are welcome,I am glad I could help.Best wishes!
@rsa101 (37932)
• Philippines
8 Mar 08
Yeah actually for those who are thinking of quitting they should not be lectured but rather be encouraged to quit. Well actually you don't need any advice at all. What you need is your determination and commitment to yourself why you need to quit. If you know what the value of quitting is to you then I can see that you are indeed ready to quit. It will still be up to you if you really want to quit or not.
1 person likes this
@LouRhi (1502)
• Australia
8 Mar 08
thanks for your comments rsa. you have really got me thinking. by using the word need rather than want it puts a different light on it for me. Thanks for your comments
2 people like this
@catjane (1036)
• United States
8 Mar 08
Quitting smoking can be one of the hardest things you'll ever do. I quit almost 8 years ago but it wasn't easy. If it wasn't for my husband, who doesn't smoke, I probably wouldn't have been able to do it. You really need to distance yourself from smokers as the desire to smoke is stronger than any willpower you might have. Stop slowly by cutting down to one a day then just stop. Don't go to smokey places as the second hand smoke will keep you craving, try not to hang around other smokers, exercise and drink juice. Good luck!
@LouRhi (1502)
• Australia
10 Mar 08
Yes, I am certainly preparing myself for a challenge. Thanks for your comments
1 person likes this
@mrsjbelle (1640)
• United States
11 Mar 08
Im there with you! Its definetly not easy. I just started taking Wellbutrin for depression but it also helps with weight loss & to stop smoking. Its also marketed under the name Zyban. Just a thought:)
@LouRhi (1502)
• Australia
11 Mar 08
Yes I have heard of Zyban before, however I am strongly against medication in any form. Thank you for your comment and I hope it all works out for you
1 person likes this
@LouRhi (1502)
• Australia
12 Mar 08
Thats ok lb, glad I could help
1 person likes this
• New Zealand
11 Mar 08
Hey thanks for your help much appreciated well tell the ones that are trying to also quit about it thanks once again for that.
• New Zealand
9 Mar 08
Hey I also am thinking about quitting have tryed most ways as have some people I know also would love to know how there is some tablets that you can get from your doctors Netrips ansiitey tablet but help you quit smoking some how I also know how hard it is and want to quit for help reasons being around some family children also just family and also if I get a job out of a course I am doing so if any one you know happens to have any tips or ideas on how also no others that would like ideas for children and maybe even health reasons
@LouRhi (1502)
• Australia
10 Mar 08
Good on you for thinking about it as well! Maybe we could start a club, there is all ready another myLotter ready to take the plunge. We have earmarked 17 March as quitday so we will have the luck of the Irish on our side. I have heard about the tablets, in Australia I think they are called Zantac or something similar. I don't even take paracetamol for a head ache to these don't really appeal to me. From what I gather you have to want to do it for yourself, but you are certainly more than welcome to jump on the wagon, strength in numbers!
1 person likes this
• United States
9 Mar 08
I quit when I got pregnant. It was easy cause I didnt know I was pregnant and everytime I smoked I just felt sick. Til I finally quit and realized why I couldnt take it. For you I dont know how you can quit. But my advice is once you do finally quit, DONT start back up again. As much as I want to sometimes I fight myself and know its the better thing to do. My sister also quit when she got preg. She quit for about 2 years and then started again. And now she smokes for no reason at all when she had already quitted.
@LouRhi (1502)
• Australia
10 Mar 08
Yes I quit for both my pregnancies and lasted for a while after the birth but then I missed it too much! I am stronger now Well done you for staying strong! :0)
1 person likes this
• Philippines
8 Mar 08
I used to smoke a lot when I was in my teens. I didn't know exactly how I stopped but I guess It's because I have kids who I know will inhale the smoke i will have from smoking. I made myself busy also to avoid it. I guess you could find something to chew on for a while I heard others do it. Like a bubblegum or candy when you feel the urge of smoking and I guess do something that would keep your mind of smoking..make yourself busy. And if you have kids..just think of their health.
@roniroxas (10560)
• Philippines
8 Mar 08
i used to smoke i can smoke two packs a day before, that was 7 years ago. i started on making myself busy, and stay away from people who smoke. its hard for me because i am a singer and when i sing on clubs and bars i always see people smoking. i do a quick run or jumping jacks when i feel like smoking. or sometimes i brush my teeth to forget smoking. i focus myself on eating fruits. it is not easy, but you have to start now before it is too late. stayed focus and find also people who will help you control smoking. i have four chidren and they are the one who helped me out. again this is not easy but i am proud of you because you want to quit. goodluck.
@LouRhi (1502)
• Australia
8 Mar 08
Well done you for quitting! Thank you for your kind words and support, I like the jumping jack idea!
1 person likes this