Have you ever got an idea...

Have an idea? - The typical light bulb moment.
Is it time to say Eureka?
@ahgong (10064)
Singapore
October 12, 2008 8:02pm CST
Take for example, GPS. When it first came out more than 10 years ago, I was working with a company that handles, among its projects, a customized navigation in the sea project for a customer. I had this fantastic idea to make a navigation for the roads using the GPS and know that it would be very popular if we can get the software developed for 3D maps. But the idea stops there. As the development work is proprietary to the company, I cannot make use of them to write the software. And I know nuts about writing it from scratch as the software packages I was working on took years to developed prior to my entry to the company. Then there was the dry-fit shirts that I know would take off when Bossini introduced it to the market. Now, it is everywhere! And a few more other ideas after that. But all of them are... well, ideas. Something that is bugging me for many years! I keep trying to think of ways to make that next step towards turning my ideas into reality. BUT it never really takes off. Being a poor chap who has not much savings, it is difficult for me to get the funding required to bring my ideas to reality. And when I tried, I keep hitting the wall at the end of each obstacle. Have you ever have an idea and you know, at the back of your head, that it would be the next big thing? But that is all you have. An idea. Something that you are toying with in your mind. But you do not know how to take the next step towards making it a reality. So, tell me, have you ever have experience like me? Where you have an idea, but no clue as to how to take the next step, and the next and the next... towards making it a reality?
2 people like this
3 responses
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
14 Oct 08
U do have very fantastic idea inside your mind ^_^ ANd i guess alot of ple do have the same problem with u, when it comes to taking the next step.. It does not only involves u, as it's time u get help from other ple.. And sometimes money is not a problem, but rather the ple.. As long as u dunno who are the right ple to find, or u dun have the right ple for support, everyhting will not work out well, for they might just want to cheat u only.. SO far, all my dreams are out of the world dreams, and i believe i'm not the only one.. Let's see whichever great inventer is gonna read my mind and create that out.. lol
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
14 Oct 08
I guess you are not alone in that. I too have some dreams about stuff that may be possible. But research is required in order to make it viable. And not having the money to spearhead the research, I can only shelve it. About 7 years ago, during my final year in the varsity, I thought that an engine could be run by compressed air. Some fellow in France (I think) recently started rolling out compressed air engines for light duty vehicles in his town and is doing a great business selling hand made cars. So even if I had the opportunity to patent my idea, it could only be patented in the local country where I am. Not world wide. And not being in the engineering field, I could only think of it as an idea. No knowing how to go about taking the next step to make it a reality. Sigh...
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
22 Dec 08
I may just do that! I am having some fresh ideas around and am pondering what to do to make that next step. If it works, that would be great! Otherwise, it is back to the drawing board again. And then fresh ideas will come again!
1 person likes this
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
14 Oct 08
yup, cars running by compressed air is selling well now.. And now, there's also ideas of cars running on water!! MAybe u can think of something, sell it to the government instead.. mAybe that will be your channel towards your next step.. Because in singapore, whatever u wanan do, government will always want a share in it, it does really work.. Thus, it's better to bring up to your MPs for help if possible ^_^
1 person likes this
@brian_s (570)
• United States
30 Dec 08
The weird thing is though, that there are great ideas out there that go nowhere. For example, take the Segway scooter, or whatever that thing is. It is a great idea. A person can stand on this two wheeled thing and move around, without any effort. I've seen them before, but let's face it, it didn't change the world like it was supposed to. Then, on the other hand, think about the idea of splitting the atom. Nuclear fission has produce more good and bad than most ideas put together. It enabled people to build huge bombs and to power whole regions more cheaply. So there are ideas that may be good that don't take off, and there are other ones that do. There are even bad ideas that become insanely popular (just look at some of the past clothing styles, and that is undeniable).
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
30 Dec 08
Ha ha ha ha ha... the segway is now being used in Europe as a form of tour. If you are game for it, you can sign up to use the segway and a guide will bring you around on a day tour. You raised some really good points there though. Not all ideas will take off. It is when you have that idea and someone else beat you to it and it takes off, that is where you will be slapping yourself for not doing more to take that next step towards making your idea a reality!
@34momma (13882)
• United States
13 Oct 08
i think we have all had that happen before. i think the first thing you need to do when you come up with something like this is have it pattened! this way it belongs to you and only you. then i would focus on the out come. see your idea in the world being used every day. as you keep that picture in your mind the next steps for making that happen will start to come to you. take all negative thinking out of it and know and see in your mind that this will happen.
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
14 Oct 08
Hmm... patenting an idea? I wonder how many people actually do that. So, what happens if you patent the idea. And then could not get the idea translated into reality yourself. What happens then? You can use the patent to claim royalties for the product that is launched eventhough you did not make the end product? How then do you patent an idea such that it is all encompassing to variants of it when a product similar to what you have thought out of is launched?
1 person likes this