Kenyan government gives us a public holiday for Obama

@kwenge (2487)
Kenya
November 5, 2008 3:49am CST
After Obama was declared president of united states our president declared 6th november as a public holiday for Kenyan citizens to celebrate Obama's victory. I did not find it appropriate but am happy I can rest tommorow. Whats your opinion regarding this?
1 person likes this
6 responses
• India
5 Nov 08
Hi Kwenge, My first thoughts were like WHAT???!!!!!!!!!!!! But then OK, I get it, he’s Kenyan from his father’s side and so that makes him a son of soil for Kenya too! And your Govt wanted to celebrate a stunning victory of an illustrious son. Is this for keeps? I mean, will you get this holiday every year?
1 person likes this
@kwenge (2487)
• Kenya
5 Nov 08
Hey sudipta, long time i heard from you. How have you been dear? Yes he is a son of Kenyan soil and we celebrate him. People here did not sleep, there were live coverage from usa to kenyan television chanels and people we watching. I heard people shout from houses when he was declared a winner. I hope we get this holiday every year heheheheheeee
• India
6 Nov 08
Hi Kwenge, yes its been a long time I have been here regularly. Obama is an exceptional man to say the least. I think he has it in his genes...his parents were exceptional to begin with. Just think, a Kenyan Muslim man...a white American Christian woman (that also way back at least 45 years ago) and then they separate and she brings him up as a single mom and then that Grandma of his...all the way an exceptional family I must say and no priviliged background too! He is an inspiration to the underdogs and every Kenyan should rightly be proud of him
@ParaTed2k (22940)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5 Nov 08
Just celebrating the victory of their favorite son.
@kwenge (2487)
• Kenya
5 Nov 08
heheheheeeeeeee! U got me laughing. Their best son in America.
@urbandekay (18278)
21 Nov 08
It is funny, many Luo I know are claiming he is their closest cousin or that their dad and his dad were the best of friends. You know that man must have a lot of best friends! all the best urban
@williamjisir (22819)
• China
5 Nov 08
Hello kwenge. It is good that you can have one day off to celebrate Obama's final success in the 2008 American Presidential Election. I am very happy that Obama is to be the 44th American president. I read the news that Obama's father used to be a foreign student, or to be exact, a student from Kenya who studied in America. So I guess that it is out of this reason that Kenyan president declared the 6th of November as a public holiday. It is very exciting and encouraging that America has had its first African-American president in its history. America is a country for people to realize their dreams. Cheers for Obama and America!
@donna22 (1116)
5 Nov 08
What do you mean by appropriate? I think it shows respect for Americas choice of President.
@kwenge (2487)
• Kenya
5 Nov 08
Yes it shows respect for America's choice but I thought that day would have been next year when he is being sworn in. Am happy about it, just wanted to hear other people from other country's opinion. By the way he originates from Kenya and we are very proud. Thanks for responding.
@ANTIQUELADY (36440)
• United States
5 Nov 08
i think that's fine. i was always ready for a holiday when i worked .