Can men and women be just friends?

India
February 20, 2009 1:10am CST
I think men and women can be just "friends". I have three girl friends who come instantly to my mind who are great friends of mine for over five years and we have never had any awkward moments in our life. Perhaps there may have been a time where a couple of those girls may have considered the possibility of asking me out, but i think they would have worked out i wasn't interested and instead we have built a lasting friendship where the subject has never come up. What you guys think about it?
4 people like this
10 responses
• Philippines
20 Feb 09
Yes, of course. I have friends, men and women. You're right there are times that there are awkward moments because some of them fall for each other but they just stop what they feel because they want to lose the friendship. It happened to me many times.
• Philippines
23 Feb 09
This is so true! Before me and my boyfriend became lovers, he was my close friend. At first, it was very awkward because he said he liked me but he does not want to ruin our friendship, when I asked him what his plans are, he said he wanted us to be more than just friends.. and that's how it all started.
@JenInTN (27514)
• United States
28 Feb 09
I do think that men and women can be close friends. Some of my best friends have been men. The problem lies when we get boyfrinds and girlfrinds that don't approve. Can make it a little tough then.
• United States
26 Feb 09
yeah i believe its possible.. i have more male friends usually than female friends because for some reason i get along better with them.. since i have been married like 10 years all my male friends i have had in that period of time never became anything else and before i was married very few did turn into anything just because it always ended and ruined the friendship. i think its sad when people dont think you can.. just shows how lowly they think of their own emotions that they think they wouldnt be able to control themselves etc
@Porcospino (31366)
• Denmark
22 Feb 09
I think that men and women can be just friends. I am a woman and one of my friends is a man. We have been friends for 11 years, and there has never been anything but friendship between us. He is a great friend, but I have never been in love with him or attracted to him. If we were supposed to become a couple, I think it would have happened many years ago. I can't imagine falling in love with him, so he will always remain a friend to me.
• India
22 Feb 09
ofcourse men n women can just be friends if they dont have other feelings inside.
• India
22 Feb 09
yes really and why not,it depends on the mentality of a men or women,men and women can also remain only friends throughout there life if they hardly decide to remain so.also it depends on the time duration they are spendind with eachother and also on there mental behaviour.
@lilaclady (28207)
• Australia
20 Feb 09
I believe only if there is no interest or attraction what so ever between them, as we do have animal instints and I believe no one can fully ignore them 100%, it is what is keeping our species going I guess...once upon a time I would have said yes they could be but i found out the hard way, we humans can have weak moments.
@wildcat48 (779)
• United States
20 Feb 09
I have lots of male friends,more then womens, it always been that way. i was a tomboy when growing up .like to work on car and play baseball,football and hunt,fish so i got along with the guys better.i still have lot of male friend,i still can call them any time
• Malaysia
20 Feb 09
Of course we can as long as we know our limits and remember don't take your friends for granted.
@syankee525 (6261)
• United States
20 Feb 09
i think they can, i have a few female friends and we are just friends. i look at them as sisters so it would weird. but yeah i see nothing wrong with it at all.