Habits... and the 30 day trial period...

@ahgong (10064)
Singapore
February 26, 2009 1:33am CST
I am sure we all have heard of a 30 day trial period for items we bought online or from the store. And I am sure you have heard of the return to store policy in the event you do not like what you buy. Have you ever thought about applying that kind of trial period to your daily life? We have all said that we want to break a habit or make a good habit. But we eventually fail in our efforts. And the reason is simple. We keep thinking that this is gonna be forever and we are resistant to make that change. Much as our conscious mind wants to do it, the subconscious will resist it. And it is this resistance that makes us fail in most of the attempts we try to change a habit or embark on new things. Let's for a moment sit down and think about this. Just like buying an item from the store. If you know full well that you can return the product in the event you are not satisfied with it to get your money back, you will be more susceptible to putting down money to give the product a try. But if there is no return or trial period for you to test the product first, you will be more unwilling to open your wallet or purse to purchase the item in the first place. Same theory can be applied to life. Let's say, we want to embark on a diet. If we know that in the event we do not like it, we can always go back to our old ways of eating. Our mind would be more susceptable to give it a go. And if it enjoys the diet, it will just get used to it after 30 days. And by that time, your body and mind would have been conditioned to accept that changes without forcing it to. But in the event it didn't, you can always give up that diet and try some thing else. Or say you want to break the habit of sleeping in late and getting up later. We can always try setting the alarm clock a good half hour earlier for a period of 30 days to see if we can get used to the idea of waking up early. If after 30 days, it is too much of a hassel, then sleep in late again. What have you got to lose right? So it got me thinking. This may be something that is worth a try if we want to break a bad habit or make a good habit. Cos as long as you say you are gonna be giving it a trial period or your "money" back, your subconscious will be more open to giving the idea a go to see how it goes. And when that happens, you are actually "training" and conditioning your body to accept that changes. I am gonna be giving this a try to see if it really works. I will see if I can sit down every day and work out a certain number of posts or articles such as this to share with everyone. And then post my progress in my blog for all to see. In the event I cannot and do not like it, then I will try something else. I have already started on this idea of mine for about a week. How about you? Will you consider giving yourself a grace period to trial anything you want to do with your life? What is it you would love to change or do and are willing to try this method I am outline here? Do share with me your thoughts on this.
1 person likes this
1 response
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
26 Feb 09
lol =D INteresting comparison ^_^ I have never like to give myself trial period for more than once.. If i can do it, i will do it.. And if i set my mind on doing it, i must make sure i complete it.. ANd i dun like to give myself too long a period for i might get bored.. Thus, no matter what i do, i always set a challenge for myself and only allow myself one chance ^_^ IN a way, it's good because i'm determined enough to do so ^_^ haha =D