Diet tips... Satisfy your appetite without forgoing some of the good stuff!

Dieting can be a joy - Just choosing what you eat, you can still lose weight without having to change your eating habits too much.
@ahgong (10064)
Singapore
February 26, 2009 9:22pm CST
When we try to go on a diet, the body will usually react in such a way that you end up feeling more hungry than usual. Cos the body is afraid that it may not have enough energy to sustain the activities of the day. SO it sends signals to the brain to tell it that it needs more energy by making you have cravings and hunger pangs. There is a way to beat this. Here is how. When we go on a diet, the first thing that the body senses is the drop in suger level in the blood. And this is where the panic signal starts. If you can maintain the blood sugar level at a steady pace, the body may be more willing to accept that you are on a diet. And to keep the blood sugar steady, food is what you MUST eat. Now, there are three kinds of sugar. The first one is sugar itself. As in the sweet white stuff you add to your coffee and food as a sweeterner. This is to be avoided as much as possible as it will make your blood sugar go into erractic highs and lows, causing you to crave for more. Not a good way to introduce sugar into your blood, especially if you are on a diet to lose weight! The second time is naturally occuring sugar, that may come in the form of glucose, in the food we eat. Like apples, oranges, melons, bananas, rice, cereals, flour... etc. These kind of food contains sugar that are already naturally produced within the food itself. Even starch is a kind of sugar as the body will convert it into digestable sugars in your body before it absorb them. Depending on the food you eat, if you can reduce this kind of sugar and glucose, it will also go a long way in helping you to lose weight. The third kind are protein "sugars". These kind of "Sugar" can be found in lean meats and are the best kind of "sugar" to have to keep your blood sugar level steady. Plus, lean protein allows you to maintain muscle mass while losing weight, which keeps your metabolism running at full speed. Cutting back on protein during weight loss, on the other hand, contributes to a loss of muscle mass and a slower metabolism. When it comes to protein, the best choices to have in when planning your meals are as follows: - lean cuts of beef (such as eye of round) - ground beef (sirloin, lean, and extra lean) - tenderloin - top loin - skinless turkey and chicken breast - pork loin and pork tenderloin, - fish - shellfish - tofu and soy-based meat alternatives Protein sources to avoid are those that are high in saturated fat. These include: - brisket - liver - rib steaks (like prime rib) - chicken - turkey pieces with the skin (as well as dark meat) - duck and goose Include that and a healthy dose of high fiber vegetables to add bulk to your diet, you will never feel hungry. A win win situation where you do not need to cut back on your meals, and still be able to consume lesser calories and be on your way to a healthier body!
1 person likes this
6 responses
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
lol =D I thought what are the sugars that i dunno of, and after i read the first 2 kind of sugars, i thought to myself, what is exactly the 3rd sugar.. lol =D Protein just say protein la, what protein sugar.. lol =D YEah, protein is one important thing that makes us full throughout the whole day and protein only does good to our body and never harm.. ON top of that, protein is good for muscle repairs and building up of muscles ^_^ One can eat veyr little carbohydrate in a day, as long as they have the necessary amount of protein to keep them going ^_^ Other than the food listed in them, skim milk is actually high in protein too, as well as calcium which is as good as a meal too ^_^ hehe
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
ha ha ha ha ha... protein, if you look at the chemical make up, is also considered a kind of sugar. So, there is nothing wrong in classifying it as a form of sugar. No?
1 person likes this
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
There's nothing wrong, but it just looks kinda weird to me, by classing them as sugars.. lol =D But one thing though, do u know that, vegetable oil, is actually MSG? hehe
1 person likes this
@mentalward (14691)
• United States
27 Feb 09
Sorry, I had to butt in here. I had a mental picture of me dunking a piece of meat into my cup of coffee to sweeten it. I don't think I'll try it, though.
2 people like this
@mentalward (14691)
• United States
27 Feb 09
Excellent advice, ahgong! I've lost 25 pounds over the past 6 months or so and never once felt as though I was "dieting". I simply changed my eating habits. I snacked on fruit instead of cookies or donuts and ate more vegetables. I backed off the higher-fat meats like beef and pork and ate more chicken, turkey and fish. One thing I know that helped me lose weight was that I've stopped eating when I am full. Even if there is only one more bite of food left on the plate, if I know I'm full, I'll leave that one bite instead of eating it just because it's on my plate. There is definitely something to be said for protein, I have to agree with you on that! If I don't eat enough protein, my body lets me know about it... VERY convincingly! I feel very weak and tired. I know there are ways to get protein into our bodies without eating meat, but I'd never make a good vegetarian! I love my meat! LOL
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
Yeah, I have always told people that it is possible to lose weight without making drastic changes to our diet. I am not avocating extronomical weight loss. But weight loss that is significant enough to be felt. And this loss can be a good change in your health! But I am always meeting with nay sayers saying that all diets must be checked by a dietitian before embarking on one. I feel that as long as we do replacements and substitutions for the kind of food we eat, we will lose quite a significant amount of weight already. And if after that, you still feel that you want to lose more, then it is a whole different story altogether. You are one of the first to actually support my idea. And a living example too! Thank you!
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
2 Mar 09
Thanks for the recommendation metalward. Splenda... that is something I have not heard of. The only artifical sweeterners I know of is Equal. Which leaves a horrible feeling in the mouth when you use it too cook.
@mentalward (14691)
• United States
27 Feb 09
You're quite welcome, ahgong! I would like to add one thing about sugars. I switched from real sugar to Splenda, which is made from sugar but contains no calories. When I want to add sugar to anything, like cereal, I now add Splenda. I know that I get enough sugars in the fruits and other things I eat so I don't want to add any more, but I do like my cereal sweet! Tea is another thing I like sweet, so adding Splenda works great. You can also bake cakes and cookies with it. I also eat about 6 smaller meals every day instead of 3 larger ones. This helps to keep my blood sugar on a more even keel, as I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia (my body burns sugar way too fast). The 6 smaller meals help to keep me from 'crashing'. Hope this helps, too!
1 person likes this
@mgmagana (3618)
• United States
27 Feb 09
thats great advice...i just started working out so all this will be really helpful.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
2 Mar 09
Good luck on your weight loss trip!
@naka75 (795)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
I think you're refering to the glycoproteins in meat, eggs etc. For protein intake, I would go for plant sources, such as soy protein, fish and tofu. I've reduced meat intake due to its fat, but still eat mutton, beef and duck meat in moderation. I've read that somehow, only pork when consumed in large quantities, could result in colon cancer, but not any other kind of meats. The reason behind is still unknown. But a consistently high fat diet means a high risk for cancer. I think the bottom line is not to gobble up tons of food or force ourselves not to eat. Seeking proper nutritional advice from the professionals is necessary for those intend to lose weight.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
2 Mar 09
That is some good information you got there. Thanks for sharing my friend. I never knew that eating pork in large quantities will cause colon cancer. Hmmm... Looks like I have to relook my preference for pork over other cuts of meats!
@Leykon (577)
• Canada
27 Feb 09
Thank you for all the good advice,this is the diet I try to follow as well, and it does really work.Mainly I stay away from bread and potatoes also .one little trick I do is substitute cauliflower for potatoes
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
2 Mar 09
Instead of cauliflower for potatoes, try Broccoli instead. Cos according to what I found out, the stomach takes more energy to digest the Broccoli than what the broccoli provides. As such, you are burning more energy than you consumed. Such foods are classified as negative calorie foods. And are very good substitutes for high carb staples.
@thungster (156)
• United States
27 Feb 09
Thank you so much for posting this! There is a lot of good advice here.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
Glad it is useful!