Up to you...

Up to you.... a comic strip - Ever got caught in such a situation before?
[i]In case you cannot view the image, go here -- http://www.shareapic.net/content.php?id=14961441&owner=ahgong[/i]
@ahgong (10064)
Singapore
February 27, 2009 2:56am CST
Read the little comic strip that is attached to this discussion first. In case you cannot view the image, go here -- http://www.shareapic.net/content.php?id=14961441&owner=ahgong Have you ever been in such a similar situation? Where you ask your partner where do they want to go for the activity at hand, and they go "Up to you". And then every suggestion you give is shot down faster than you can give them. AND when you finally exhausted all your options, you ask them for suggestions then and they go "Up to you" or "Anything"? Yeah, it is funny when you are not caught in that situation. But when you do, how do you usually resolve this knotty issue so that you will not be standing in the middle of no where with your partner trying to make a decision.
3 people like this
5 responses
@naka75 (795)
• Singapore
28 Feb 09
When we say "up to you" or "anything", actually we don't truly meant what we say don't we? Because we're expecting another party to say something that could fit our desires, so we give him/her the benefit of doubt. For example, if I ask my partner where would she like to go for dinner, I don't think I'd just stop at her ambiguous response since perhaps in her mind she meant if we could find a quite place or have some better food, that would be great. So the best way to resolve this "up to you" situation is to continue to ask/dialogue and find some common ground, but not to waste too much time by deliberating on the decision. I believe this would help partners to understand each other better, the preferences, the feelings, expectations etc. And this encourages proactive actions to benefit each other and build a stronger relationship.
1 person likes this
@naka75 (795)
• Singapore
7 Mar 09
Hahaha, that was a fast decision, and maybe after the bowls of instant noodles, you could head for a tasty supper!
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
ha ha ha ha ha... that should be the way. But there are days when you just want a simple answer and we will just go there and eat already! And most often then not, it will end up similar to what the comic strip shown. A conversation that leads no where. And there are days that both of us cannot decide on a common ground at all after exhausting all the options. And we ended up back at home eating instant noodles instead! Nothing beats a home cooked meal even if it is instant noodles!
@victorywp (3524)
• United States
28 Feb 09
usually that's my standard answer for anyone who asks me this question too. LOL! but unlike the case in the comic strip, i really can accept any suggestion without any comment.:) actually it's still not too bad for the case in the comic strip, at least she commented about all the suggestions before they go there. i still remember there was once i drove all the way to a certain restaurant, right before we enter, only my friends commented & we went to other restaurant. they commented again when we reached there! finally, at the third restaurant only they have no comments. for each trip to a different restaurant took me about 15 miles away! there was another case whereby my friend said he can eat anything when we are in a food centre & so i ordered one for me & one for him. when he saw what i have ordered, he said that he can't eat it (with so many reasons behind it). so i have to finish up both (of course pay for both), while he went away & bought something else! sometimes i really get fed up with people answering "up to you" or "anything". if you really have comments, please don't answer with those words! otherwise, just accept any suggestion without any comment! do you agree with me? LOL!
@naka75 (795)
• Singapore
7 Mar 09
If I were you, I'd have ordered my own food. I hate waiting and procastination, for people to take their own sweet time to make up their minds. If they still can't make up their mind after I finish my food, then I'd leave. It's meaningless isn't it?
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I can tolerate it when it is my wife. But when it comes to aquaintances, that is horrible. I was ever caught in the situation where no body wants to make the orders for the food on the menu. So I took the lead and did the ordering otherwise we would just be sitting there staring blankly at the menu. Ended up, half of the stuff ordered, they don't want to eat. And being in a buffet where there is a penalty for not finishing the food, I ended up having to finish most of the food served. I made sure that was the last time I went out on an outing with this gang of friends for meals!
@urbandekay (18278)
27 Feb 09
he he he he he he all the best urban
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
2 Mar 09
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
hehe ^_^ I'm always caught in such a situation, be it with my past gf or even with frenz.. lol =D I guess i'm always the one saying, UP to U, and i actually dun mind doing anything or going anywhere.. But when it comes to relationship, most gals wants opinions from guys.. And that their 'up to u', is actually referring to the places they wanna go, and it's more or less a 'test' for us to see, how much do we really know or understand them.. lol =D Sad to say, i often failed in that aspect and thus i've learnt.. lol =D Listen to their words carefully and one will actually get the hint for the day.. lol =D
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
The problem is this. Some times, when you list out all her favorite eating places, she still dunno where she want to go to have her meal. So ok, you bring her to her favorite place. And then comes the Up-to-you all over again when you ask her what to eat. It is a VICIOUS cycle!
1 person likes this
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
lol =D Well, as long as it makes her happy, and i'm fine with it.. For, all listed cafes or resturant are her favourites.. But i can only pray hard that during the journey there, nothing happens or it's smooth, if not, she will start to blame for us everything and even the choice of place we decide, even though she's the one to say ' UP TO U'.. lol =D They just have this kind of privilegde over us, and what else can we do, except for, hoping and praying hard.. haha =D
1 person likes this
@regal_aeros (2605)
• Singapore
27 Feb 09
oh man!!! that's like so close to home! it ALWAYS happens. what do you want? anything / up to you there is a reason why the drink "anything" & "whatever" came about ehz.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
Yeah... I had a feeling that was how it came about as well. And the crappy content they put inside is really something! No one can complain about it too! Ingenious!