Gas that costs more than 81 Billion dollars

@ahgong (10064)
Singapore
March 3, 2009 3:10am CST
[i]"... a man from Richland, Washington had a shock of his life when he filled up the gas tank of his '94 Chevy Camaro, which had registered a total fee of USD26. Unfortunately for him, in a freak computer hiccup, the PayPal debit card he used to make the transaction recorded the fee as USD81,400,836,908 (more than 81 billion dollars) instead of the supposed USD26. ..."[/i] source -- http://www.gadget3.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1809&Itemid=99 I cannot imagine if this happened to me. 81 billion dollars worth of petrol? Heck, even if I wanted to fill a swimming pool, I do not need that much gas! I am sure even a Boeing does not pump that much fuel in one fill-up! The best part is, paypal refused to believe him at first when he claims that he did not pump 81 billion dollars worth of fuel!
2 people like this
4 responses
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
4 Mar 09
lol =D THat's way too unbelievable and to think that paypal actually believes in that?? hehe ^_^ If ever gas were to cost so much, i think most of us will be taking whatever we have now, for granted.. haha =D Gas that costs more than 81 billion dollars is way too high and it's simply out of the world.. haha =D I dunno which is more funnier, whether if it's the hicup by system, or paypal not believing in his claims.. lol =D
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
Well, if you are the person being charged for that kinda amount, I am sure you are not gonna be able to laugh about it during the time the issue is being resolved! Like I said, the fella in paypal who took on this case ought to have his head checked! To disbelief his claims that he did not pump that amount of fuel is just not logical. Even assuming I do not believe him, it would set some alarm bells ringing, no? With all these terrorism threats all over the place, that would be something I would have suspected if I chose not to believe his claims of not pumping $81 billion dollars of gas. Then again, I may be wrong.
1 person likes this
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
lol =D If i'm the one be charged that amount, i will not pay for sure.. Let paypal take me to court, and let the court mock at them instead.. lol =D Even 81 billion dollar of gas, i dun think the judge will believe it either.. lol =D
1 person likes this
@mentalward (14691)
• United States
3 Mar 09
That's a hoot! They wouldn't believe that he didn't pump $81 billion into his car? What in the world did they think he was driving? An oil carrier, maybe? I've heard of computer 'glitches' like this before, like a person whose telephone bill came to over $400,000.00 for one month. I don't think any one telephone bill could come close to that amount, even if the owner talked non-stop to someone around the world for that month! What I read about that incident was similar because the telephone company didn't initially believe that person hadn't run up a bill that high. Wow! If gas prices ever get CLOSE to being that high, I'm buying a horse!
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
Precisely! I mean, how could a person, even using the old fashion dial-up modem to surf the net use so much data to incur so much call charges? Not to mentioned that this fella is pumping gas into his car. Even if say you do not know what kind of car he is driving, $81 billion worth of gas is more than enough fuel to send a rocket to the moon and back. And maybe even enough to orbit around the moon before coming back to earth! If they at least take the effort to investigate it, it is still not so bad. The worst part of it is, they refused to believe him when he says he did not pump billions of dollars of fuel! What a joke! Getting a horse eh?
@mentalward (14691)
• United States
5 Mar 09
That employee of PayPal is the joke! If that were me, I'd never be able to show my face to anyone, ever again! I'd be so terribly embarrassed for not believing that man right off the bat! Even $81 hundred is questionable for one month's worth of gasoline. How could that employee NOT see that $81 billion was a huge error? What an idiot! No, I'd have to quit my job and become a hermit, living in a cave somewhere.
1 person likes this
• United States
9 Mar 09
that would happen to me! i hope he got it straightened out before he got slammed with overcharges
1 person likes this
• United States
3 Mar 09
even at $4 a gallon, that would be 20 billion gallons. a Boeing 747 holds 63,500 gallons. which means you could fill 314,960 Boeing 747s.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
Precisely! And anyone who looks at that kind of figure will sure to suspect some thing is wrong. PLUS, the bill came from a petrol station, not an oil rig! Where in the world does a petrol station find that kinda storage capacity to store so many liters of gas?!? That is kinda silly to even assume it is possible, ain't it?