"I can't" ... or is it "How can I?"

@ahgong (10064)
Singapore
May 25, 2009 1:24am CST
Usually, when we come across a challenge or a problem, what is usually the first thought that comes into your mind? Is it "I can't"? Or do you start asking "How can I... Solve the problem?" Many a time, when are faced with a problem, one can tell if you are a failure or not just by looking at your responses. If you just simply say "I can't" and give up, you never learn anything from your problems or your failures. But, if you take the time to analyze what went wrong to result in the outcome you faced, and then ask "How can I... do this better?" and then work upon it, then you are not a failure. You are a success waiting to happen. When we are just a kid, learning to walk, we will keep trying till we make it. Try observing the next time you see a child learning to walk. When they first try to stand up, they wobble and then they fall. Then with a puzzled face, they try again. And again... and again till they finally stand up and stay up. Then they try their first step. If they fall, the try standing up and try taking that first step again. And the kid will keep doing that till he/she is able to walk! A wobbly walk it may be, but they walk! They never give up trying! Nature has given each of us the choice to keep trying and trying till we succeed. And it is very apparent in children. Question then comes, why is it that when we become adults, with better thinking skills and decision making, some people become so easily discouraged by setbacks?
1 person likes this
3 responses
@lelin1123 (15595)
• Puerto Rico
25 May 09
I love a challenge and problem solving so I always say "how can I" or "lets get started". You also need a positive attitude in your life for you to feel you can conquer all things. So I always feel anything is possible in your life and you have to make it happen if you have the will, which I do.
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
26 May 09
Good question.. Because when we are kids, we have nothing to fear and that we know we can always get help from adults.. BUt once we become adults, we tend top let ego and pride get into our way, and we are more scared to be ridiculed rather than anything else.. Furthermore, most ple are content with what they have and wont wanna risk anything that's beyond of them.. lol =D There are alot of ple whom simply says 'i cant', because they just dun wanna try at all.. They feel that if they try and fail, they will lose face.. haha =D ISn't that stupid?? Just take many adults for example, try to learn cooking, and before they do it, firts thing comes to their mind, i'm not gifted and thus no point in learning.. lol =D
@applefreak (3130)
• Singapore
26 May 09
i've always believed that there is nothing much that i can't do. the issue is simply whether i want it enough to do it. of course there are things i can't do. things like flying since i've got no wings, stay underwater for three years since i've got no gills etc. however, i believe that i can achieve anything if i want it enough. it's just a matter of accepting that i have failed and what i should not have done. if one can accept failure, then one can stand up and try again. however, if one goes around blaming everyone but oneself then it is hard to overcome setbacks. cheers