why do christians celebrate christmas?

Indonesia
September 30, 2009 11:33am CST
why do Christians celebrate Christmas? once this question come across my mind. i learn bible for years, i don't even find a word saying that Jesus was born on 25 December. i don't find that Jesus celebrated his birthday nor his followers...so why do you celebrate Christmas...which God's command that most Christians do obey to celebrate Christmas? please give me your reasons.....
2 responses
• India
1 Oct 09
I celebrate Christmas to reflect on the reason why Jesus was born. Like we celebrate our birthday which includes taking time to reflect on serious issues of life I think Christmas is what Christians do of Jesus birth. It's now clear, I guess, that 25th December is not the birthday of Jesus in actuality. In fact we may never know that. But I don't think there is anything wrong in celebrating Christmas on 25th. The main point is not about getting the right date; the more important thing is on reflecting the purpose behind the birth. No doubt if we get the right date, better. But not getting the right does not mean that the purpose of the birth is meaningless. There is nowhere in the Bible commanding in favour of Christmas. But there is nothing against it as well. It's like Good Friday or Easter etc. No command is given about such days either.
• United States
30 Sep 09
You are right. Nowhere in the Bible does it mention Christmas, December 25, or anything like that. We, as Christians, merely celebrate Christmas because it is the time of year that we have set aside to celebrate the coming of our Lord to earth. If you want to get super technical, December 25 was fairly close not to Jesus' birth, but his conception. The Bible gives several hints that can be used in approximating the time of Jesus' birth, outlined very well here: http://www.khouse.org/enews_article/2005/1008/ Hope this helps you! Please enjoy your upcoming holiday season this year, and remember, he is the reason for the season! Dive Deep!