Respectful vs Ethical

Indonesia
November 20, 2009 9:01pm CST
Living in the community nowadays often blurs the distinction of being respectful and ethical. While you are queuing and you just happen to notice an elderly woman inching her way to the front of the line, hoping to be least-obvious, can serve as an analogy. Are you in a dilemma whether to allow her cutting the line before you considering her physical condition, or to show her the end of the line where she can queue like others considering all those people who have been there before?
1 person likes this
7 responses
@spalladino (17891)
• United States
21 Nov 09
In a situation like this I would take the less risky option of pretending that I don't notice the elderly woman. Of course she shouldn't be using her status as a senior citizen to take advantage of the others who are already waiting but I wouldn't want to risk the wrath of anyone who felt that she should be given special treatment due to her age and physical condition.
• Indonesia
21 Nov 09
I guess that's a one way out of it. ;-p However, what if you are in no condition to not notice her? What if she wants to be in the line right in front of you? Trust me, I've tried your way as often as possible. Unfortunately, I cannot pretend not to notice all the time..(unless I pretend to be blind, deaf or plain dumb...) Then my friend, what would you do? ;-)
@spalladino (17891)
• United States
21 Nov 09
If it's the same person each time I guess I would have to say something to her after she cut in front of me the first time. I would politely remind her that I let her do it before but that she really needs to wait for her turn. If it's a different person each time...I'd shop somewhere else.
@igorot (5)
• Philippines
20 Sep 10
i think generally speaking its a matter of individual discipline and it depends to the situation of the subject matter of queuing. It was just happen that I am earlier than her. Its very unfair to others if I will allow her to cut the line before me without the permission of the others and may be like her are also taking queue. In such situation there are times even there are lanes for senior citizens but it has a long queue, they switch to other asking for a favor in that way. But still I believed that its more on discipline, follow the essence of queuing.
18 Sep 10
if you have been on the line for one and a half hour or longer, and your temper is short, maybe you won't let her passes you on that line. but if your the kind of person that understands that she's old enough to be on the line, maybe you would let her. our instructor says once, that don't let anybody passed you on the line, since you've been their first and you join the line for quite so long. it's not a mtter of age for me maybe. but if thats the case, i would let her. considering that im young rather than her and i can stand and wait longer than that of her. i don't care of the people behind me. if there will be a chance i will offer her to take my spot.
• Philippines
20 Sep 10
If I am in that situation, I would allow her cutting the line not only because of her physical condition but also respect for elders. I don't see any problem letting the elderly woman cut the line and it is more better if she had a senior citizen ID. This is already practiced here in my country as sign of giving respect. And for me, respect is very important and hard-earned..but if ever that elderly woman is abusing, I won't let her cut the line anymore and just show her the end of the line.
@chinne (22)
• Philippines
18 Sep 10
I already experienced this kind of situation many times, and it is not only an old man or woman whom I let go first in the line. Sometimes, even those persons who are older than me. Yes, we need to respect our senior citizens and our elders, but we also need to consider those persons who are falling in line after us. They also need some respect because we are all human and we all have the same right. I learned from one of our instructors that if its okay to you to let other people go first because they are in a hurry or they are senior citizens, then you also have to ask those people queuing after you for a long period of time if its okay to them, and thats the time you may decide on what to do. By that, you are being respectful to all the people concern, and at the same time you are being ethical.
20 Sep 10
I have experienced this scenario and i just let the old woman pass before me. Ethical is always doing the right thing, but it's not limited only up to this definition. There are instances that we should consider other factors in order to make a good decision, whether to do or not to. We should always know that for every rule, there is an exemption. This enters now that situation. We should take into consideration the condition of every thing before making any judgment, whether it's for the betterment or not. Think of the result, many times.
• Philippines
17 Sep 10
In Filipino culture,we usually allow these elderly ones to inch their way to the front line line. This is actually a sign of respect. Now, put yourself into the shoes of the elderly. You would feel a lil bit of ease whenever you will be allowed to do so especially that you easily get tired on waiting in a queue due to your age. Just do something good and something and something better will be given to you. Although the response to this situation may vary from one culture to another and one person to another.