Sleep Apnea Is A Very Serious Concern

@neildc (17239)
Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
August 23, 2010 9:13pm CST
This is what most of my friends here believe. They are mostly common people who don't have medical background or education. But they have at least one family member that snores at sleep, so they understand the danger of apnea, what it could cause if the patient have not given proper attention. What makes us feel sad regarding Sleep Apnea is that, not everyone is aware of this kind of health condition. Some will even have a great laugh when they see one person snoring so loudly. The worst part of this is, even some medical professionals do not take this condition very serious. Yes, they know about apnea and even believe this will lead to some more serious health problems, like heart attack, hypertension, etc. But they don't move fast, so easy and calm to tell you, "don't be hysteric or be rattled." Won't you feel that way if you see your child suffering? One friend also said, "A lot of people are uneducated about the condition so it's up to you to explain to them and how it's dire that your child gets the help he needs." So I hope I can reach more people with this writing, and let them understand how serious Sleep Apnea is.
2 people like this
5 responses
@quita88 (3715)
• United States
24 Aug 10
My husband has sleep apnea. He's been a CPAP machine for years now. I understand the severity of the problem and you are doing a great job educating others on apnea. The snoring is only a part of the problem too. Restless legs are another problem with apnea. A corresponding ailment is narcolepsy. I had a step mother die of narcolepsy as she fell asleep at the wheel of her car. Everyone needs to pay closer attention to those who do snore. It's not funny. It's a bad sign and everyone needs to make sure their loved one get the attention they need. I truly hope your son is getting what he needs. I remember he can't get CPAP right? I will pray for you all. God bless, quita
@neildc (17239)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
24 Aug 10
yes quita, we are sure cpap will not work for our son since it's hypotrophy, the tissues (tonsils and adenoids) are enlarge and progressing, since birth. so even if he will use the machine, the problem will still be there when he will stop using it. so that's it, only a surgery will save him. i feel sorry for your step-mom for passing away. i know narcolepsy is just one effect of sleep apnea. but this is more likely to happen in adults, or more dangerous to happen to them since we mostly work alone or something. for kids being narcoleptic are safer as most of the time, they stay at home. just like what i have mentioned on my blog and on some of my posts here, one painful experience for parents having a child with sleep apnea is the time we spend at night monitoring his sleep. even a friend of mine from work have told me, "neil, do you also have apnea?" because she noticed my sleepiness at work. that's because we, the parents also could not get better sleep at night. not that our son snores loudly, but when we notice that he is already choking and gasping for air, we have to wake up and stay awake a little longer to look at him. it's really not a funny thing to look at a snoring person. maybe, before i learned about apnea, but not anymore. that's why i wanted to make this learned by more people and let them be educated with this very serious health problem.
1 person likes this
@GardenGerty (157839)
• United States
24 Aug 10
You are so right, the baby having sleep apnea affects all of you and your rest. You must get very tired.
@neildc (17239)
25 Aug 10
you are so right Gerty, we all are not getting good night sleeps, we have been getting so tired all the years. and it's good to know that we finally have the exact treatment for him though we are just waiting for the funds to be raised. hopefully, the surgery will be done not so long from now.
@paula27661 (15811)
• Australia
25 Aug 10
My husband has sleep pane; he was told he had after he did a sleep study for his excessive snoring. The doctor told him it is dangerous because he actually stops breathing for short moments. I think it is wise to educate others in regards to the dangers of this condition. I do believe that the majority of people out there have an awareness of the dangers of this condition nowadays.
@neildc (17239)
25 Aug 10
i could agree that majority have an awareness of the dangers of this condition. but we should not stop until we reach the minority and get everyone know this fact. my son did not undergo sleep study. the surgeon, the ent doctor was convinced that it's apnea at the first time he watched the video clip we took one time that he was sleeping. so the surgeon did not recommended the study as it will only cost us another extra money.
1 person likes this
@GardenGerty (157839)
• United States
24 Aug 10
Society in general is just beginning to realize how hard on people this is. We are recognizing that without proper sleep it is hard for anything else to go well.
@neildc (17239)
25 Aug 10
with the help of this technology and the media people, i hope this will be more popular to more people and more will be aware of this kind of disorder.
@Hatley (163781)
• Garden Grove, California
24 Aug 10
hi neildc yes its really very serious and I hope for your sake and your childs and all the others like that out there that people will wake up and you will get the help that you need.If he were my son I would feel the same way you do and would wish someone can help me to get the funds we need to care for my c hild. good luck and God Bless you all.
@neildc (17239)
25 Aug 10
thank you so much for your continued support, patsie.
• Philippines
24 Aug 10
This is an interesting post. My boyfriend used to have sleep apnea. Not only does he snore loudly, he stops breathing for 3-5 seconds sometimes. It happens a lot within a night's sleep. He wakes up tired and feels like he lacked sleep even if he slept a full 8 hours. I read that severe cases can cause heart ailments and things like that because your brain can't get enough oxygen. He's better now. He quit smoking and drinking, jogs every morning, and avoids stress whenever he can. I think he was depressed that time and it took its toll on his sleep, habits, and on his body. Thanks for posting this.
@neildc (17239)
24 Aug 10
i guess your boyfriend had a different condition or symptoms of the apnea. it varies a lot with other patients. there are those that affected with their lifestyles too. and it is more difficult to handle children. to let you know why i am so serious about this health condition, i have this 3 year old son who has sleep apnea. what made us seek medical attention for him is his snoring, initially. and after months of medication, one ear-nose-throat doctor recommended surgery. it was confirmed in the last check-up that he has large tonsils, adenoids and tongue. they cause his breathing to stop when he sleep. and we don't want to take chances anymore. once we raise enough money to pay the hospital and the professional fees, we will let the surgery scheduled.