Your Religion is Nothing!

Philippines
October 7, 2010 11:29pm CST
Two years ago as I was sitting down in my beloved chair just outside my house, somebody, a good looking man came and talked to me about the Bible. When I told him that I have a religion, he smiled and told me with a soft voice, "Sir, your religion is nothing!" I was stunned. For over twenty years, I had been in that religion and it's the first time that I encountered such. He started to tell me about the Love of God and how He died to pay for the penalty of my sin. He told me it's not about religion that he came for, but for me to know how God loved me. The conversation continued until I understood what he meant. I trusted Christ in my heart to be my Saviour. My religion is really nothing when we talk about salvation. What's your opinion on this?
2 people like this
14 responses
@marcmm (1804)
• Malaysia
13 Oct 10
Religion is something that written when we filling in the form. But do we practice it? It is not about what religion you are but what you are practicing. I make a challege here. How many Christians are there in our place and how many do go to church and really practising the Christian teaching? How many that go to church really practice what the bible said? In my place I can answer like this. There are more than 3000 people that are Christians. But every Sunday there are something like 300-500 people that come to Chruch. It like 10%-20% only that go to Church. Out of 500 that goes to Church, less than half practice hristian teaching. There is an incident in our church which happen to our choir member. There was a couple joining a choir. And guess what, the girl getting pregnant at the age of 15. Another incident also involving the choir and youth member. Both of them are married but their spouse run away. And out of the blue, the girl getting pregnant. So why they can commit to adultery when they are actively involve in church work. But like you say. Our religion mean nothing if we don't practice it.
• Philippines
20 Oct 10
If we focus our attention on people and religion, we will also fall. That is the reason why the bible tells us to keep "looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith." It is easy for people to say they are Christians but God knows there are a lot who are just Christians in name but not in deed.
• Philippines
13 Oct 10
I believe in what he says. Religion is not important, it is the relationship to God that matters. Even if you are christian and you don't have a relationship with the Lord, it is nothing. Bless God always!
2 people like this
@suetsee (26)
• Malaysia
8 Oct 10
Yes, to trust and accept Jesus Christ as our Saviour is a relationship, not purely religion. No doubt God wants us to obey His word in the Bible, but He wants us to be sincerely loving Him to obey those commandements. If not, it just going through the motion of following a set of rules and law without any close relationship with God. I'm glad you have trusted Him. Hope you will grow closer to Him and you have a secure anchor and hope in times of trouble :)
• Philippines
8 Oct 10
Yeah, by God's grace, I will grow. Thank you for that encouragement. I am still learning a lot of things.
@Zaphan (710)
• Philippines
9 Oct 10
yeah I believe on it. Look at those people always going to church at sundays or even everyday, they just listen to the preach of father, take holy communion, pray little bit, go out and do sins again. It's a cycle right? what's the importance of religion if you don't have a good relationship with GOD? it's useless.
@yufut09 (23)
• Philippines
9 Oct 10
Im not an Aethiest or whatsoever ... Having a Religion is good, you get to share you thought about what you belief, but still don't forget that being spiritual is better than religious, also shallow visual of your belief is only fooling yourself and others. Remember that religion is only made by people and you're faith depends on you. You know there is something superior out there believe in HIM... not just because some preacher talk about doing this and that, not doing this and that... You have your own will and conscience, don't let all the preaching they tell you brainwash your mind, coz not all of them are really for your own good, although mostly they are for the good, just make a choice in which to follow, Live your Life the way you want it =)
1 person likes this
• Philippines
12 Oct 10
You are so blessed to have found salvation through Christ. He was right, no religion can save a man's soul. Accepting Jesus as our Lord and personal savior and having a deep spiritual relationship with Him is the only thing a sinner can do to be saved. Jesus said in John 14:6 " I am the way, the truth and the life, no one goes to the Father except by me ". The Lord is always faithful to His promises and that we can really rely on.
2 people like this
@gablez (19)
• Malaysia
5 Nov 10
my best friend/brother/mentor said this once and i would like to share it here. "Religion is like mirror, telling whatever dirt you have. Jesus on the other hand, see our dirt, take clothes and wipe it," - Paul Vijayan I personally feel convicted. :) God bless :)
1 person likes this
@Drumman (305)
• United States
8 Oct 10
I would not say your religion is nothing. If your religion teaches you what you learned from that man then it is something! I guess yours did not though. Religion can be good if it teaches about the love of God and the saving grace of Jesus Christ. That is not nothing. That is everything and I will stay with my religion as long as they continue to teach that. That was just a shocking phrase the guy used to get your attention. I'm sure he learned it from someone within his religious group. I'm glad it worked though!
1 person likes this
@madteaparty (2748)
• Japan
9 Oct 10
I think you need to start thinking by yourself. The problem about religious people is that they like too much others to think by themselves and do what they're commanded to do, what I find rather sad. Don't be offended, but that's just the message I'm getting from your post, and it would be sad if I was right about the impression I got from your words -maybe your explanation is just short, and there's more that you haven't said yet, but that's my first impression now-.
1 person likes this
@jamed28 (1903)
• Philippines
9 Oct 10
The common denominator for the Christian religion is Christ. So for me it is just the same. Religion teach you how to believe in God. So for me it is also important.
1 person likes this
@hushi22 (4928)
8 Oct 10
I believe there is a higher being existing who made all this but i dont really go deeper into religion. i am more of a spiritual person than a religion. so i guess he has a point. =)
1 person likes this
@sam8pro (376)
• India
8 Oct 10
Wow are you serious.... And i thought that the world could be peaceful only when everyone started respecting other people's personal beliefs.... Every religion is same ... they all point you towards one God ... thats what i thought all the great personalities told us ... i just can't believe this ...
1 person likes this
@foofermen (500)
8 Oct 10
Personally, I speculate that religion is a natural evolutionary response to our social and economic hierarchy. It is a very healthy and important framework for us to build our lives around, granting us stability in every sense of the word. For the working class, it is the promise of a better tomorrow and an incredible reward when we expire. For the upper class, it is a means to reassure themselves and grant them relief from the stress of maintaining a wealthy life style (bills, donations, etc. etc.) For the record, I mean no offense by this. I am, currently, an atheist. I was raised Catholic in a Catholic school. Every day I would struggle with the morality and reasoning behind some of the rules and traditions set forth by my god. I was raised too inquisitive for my own good. The more I knew, the more I had to ask. I began to explore psychology and science, and along with the knowledge I gained from my religion, I developed this theory. In the end, we will never KNOW. If you are on the market for the right religion for you, I suggest you look into other cultures,inside and outside of your country, and then ask yourself things like, "Are these people's lives enriched by this religion? Are their lives enriched MORE than my life is by my own religion? What core morals would I follow in absence of my religion?"
1 person likes this
• Indonesia
8 Oct 10
talking about religion is something very sensitive i would rather speak about others to make the point of your article i only believe in salvation which we make ourself a salvage of the others may you accept this response god bless you
1 person likes this
@jothan27 (19)
• Thailand
29 Oct 10
The religion cannot save you but it is your personal relationship with God, But we can follow religion that follow what is written in the Bible