Why majority of Filipinos using networking sites like Facebook?

Philippines
January 24, 2011 1:59am CST
Nowadays, I observed that majority of Filipinos were using Facebook as there networking sites. Also, today's generation of Filipinos are sitting down in every corner just to use this networking sites, and why? Because of their laziness to browse other subjects and learn something useful in the internet? Can anybody here explain to me why?
2 people like this
21 responses
@lady1993 (27225)
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
I think Filipinos like to join and browse social networking sites since they want to stay connected with their friends all the time, they want t always know what's "in". But sometimes it's just too much too. I agree, that they should also browse other useful information and not only play and socialize..
1 person likes this
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
That's right lady1993. Lots of available topics in the internet, and yet they prefer to lay video games, farmville, etc..thanks for your positive insights about using FB.
@mtrguanlao (5522)
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Hi there! Welcome here! I have no negative comments about facebook as it is my tool for communications with my relatives,friends and my husband. Through facebook,I was able to meet my good old friends that I haven't seen for so many years. Infact,last month we had a reunion and thanks to fb,we all made it possible. Now that I joined some writing site,I am able to share it with my friends and they helped me in viewing my writings. So Fb is surely useful to me. PS..are you Sir FX from triond?
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Hello Sir FX,I knew it! It's you! So that's the reason why you asked me if I'm a member of mylot,lol! Yes,I'm a good user of fb Sir FX. Before,I even play poker,lol! But when I started working online just last month,I never played it anymore,I feel it's already a waste of time,I've lots to do online,hehe! My kids are doing good! I don't have a new recipe yet but maybe I can find doing one tomorrow. I will sure add you Sir FX! Happy mylotting!
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
mtrguanlao...I visited there and got some info. I posted 1 for you. Your baby's so cute!
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
mtrguanlao, you're such a good user of FB because your intentions are clear and simple without any remorse whatsoever. How's your recipes my dear? and the children? I saw your name and I'm it's my second day here. How's Triond forum? After this stint, back again in forum. Thank you for your valuable answer. Add me okay?
@aerous (13434)
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
I don't know if Filipino's among the greater number in facebook? The reason maybe is that Filipinos always want new things and want to follow what is in...
@aerous (13434)
• Philippines
26 Jan 11
You right, friend. This is how Filipino's following the trend.
• Philippines
26 Jan 11
Friend, Filipinos likes to discover new things and anything that amuses them. Like the FB, they participate everyday in such a way that they're addicted into it. Thanks for sharing.
@EdnaReyes (2622)
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
This is the reason why we have damaged culture. Majority of these people come from low income family. They know that facebook is in with the rich and elite , they want to be counted, to have a taste of what the rich and elite are having. When the rich and elite learn that many ordinary Filipino are in the Facebook, what did they do? Of course they turned to Twitter and again be exclusive in that area. I'm wondering if the ordinary folks again turned Twitter into a mass conquest area, where are this Elite will turn? I am hearing another trend?
@angel107 (307)
• Germany
25 Jan 11
I dont think that FB is made FOR the elites if so then why can anyone with an internet connection access the site? People from all over the world have something in common... Why did they join facebook? Because they want to belong to the group. No man is an island. Most of the people does not want to be alone and maybe the site facebook gives them this feeling that they have friends and are not alone. I bet you two are also members of FB.
• Philippines
26 Jan 11
angel107...I am using FB eversince and I'm a good user of it. It's my observation that FB nowadays are for the masses, and right now, elite Filipino people were changing to Twitter for another reasons. Well, that's our observation and views, and no one can take that. And, I'm not one of the elite, I'm only an ordinary person. We (Edna)are referring to the usage of FB rather than Twitter by the elite, and not for comparison but a trending.
1 person likes this
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
Your observation is absolutely right. I think that's the way Filipino life meant to be. How about mylot? Is it for ordinary folks or elite Filipino people? Thank you and really liked your comments.
@rage35 (344)
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Social networking sites are for everyone's use. Whether you are a Filipino or not. Many people engage with this kind of social networking because with the help of this sites, we could easily keep in touch with our friends and family who are on other countries or had been gone to some other places in the country. You can learn useful things through networking, if you delve into finding the real meaning of social networking sites. You would, at least, gain some useful things about it.
@rage35 (344)
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Yes. Indeed. Good Day!
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
You've got it right friend! You're a positive user of FB and hoping that every Filipinos will do the same as yours. Thank you.
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
I believe this is not just within Filipinos rather it is all over the world. I use FB for entertainment, communication and business purposes. FB could be a learning site too if you try to choose which of its functionality you would want to use. It is also good for promoting your business, making new friends and sharing your passion with different people. A person may log on a learning site but doesn't mean that he/she would gain more knowledge rather it is how the way he/she utilize the functionality and importance of a site.
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
I agree with you that FB is not only for Filipinos. I'm glad that your concern in using FB is vital to you. Your maturity shows your attitude in using FB, while I think some Filipinos are not. Thanks for answering my question Milkypink26. Let's be friend okay?
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Hi Fx! Thank you for choosing this as best response though its a bit early and you might still get better responses. :) I've been on FB for quite some time now, I find it boring some times but it helps a lot whenever I'm tired of doing other stuffs such as work. LoL. Hope you have a great day! :)
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
Welcome my friend! You're reasons are precise and clear that's why I chose you as the best respondent. Thanks.
@verabear (796)
• Philippines
27 Jan 11
I guess we all have our motivations for frequenting particular web sites. Those who don't know what MyLot is would also ask why certain people hang out in MyLot a lot? Both, in a way, are social networking sites. Those of us who would like to get passive income from our web activities go to MyLot, those who have other goals that Facebook satisfies go there. I am on Facebook a lot and there are many reasons why I think I get hooked - it has allowed me to get in touch with real-life acquaintances in a way that real-life didn't give us a chance to. A childhood friend that I lost touch with in my teenage years is a friend in FB and I've exchanged more words with her there (now that she's US based) than all those years she was still here in our highschool and college years. The games are addictive too. Different sites offer different services. People go to whatever site satisfies their needs. :)
• Philippines
29 Jan 11
Your views are possible and accepted. That's the very essence of networking sites.
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
logos - of some known sites..except mylot isn't here
Hello Fx, Facebook is like friendster. for me, the purpose of face-book is merely to connect with people ihaven't seen for a long long time.but i got to know mylot first, I believe this is the only social networking site that really helps me express my feelings and earn at the same time. maybe for people who work, social networking can be a lazy thing, but it's just pass time. i never understand why face-book had to be a hit and not mylot since people get to know better in this site.. I hope you take more time in this site, not only you learn but also earn. what really wastes time in the internet is online games, because people go to internet shop with countless hours playing games spending and not earning a thing there, except points and some reputation. as for facebook, it's fine but i hope they get to know mylot too.
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
Yes, Letranknight, you've got right, for some people used the Facebook as a way of passing time. Also, playing games is another one. Thanks again.
@dhysanne (449)
• Philippines
26 Jan 11
Facebook is a Social Networking site. Since its free to join and easier to access, people are getting use to log on everyday just to get an update about their family, friends and online friends. You can also promote your online business there, share good ideas to the whole world. Just like Mylot, it is very useful to connect with other people even outside your own country.
• Philippines
26 Jan 11
That's true dhysanne, your insights are the same with other FB users. So, let's use the FB as our extension with our daily lives. Thank you.
@ANIME123 (2466)
• United States
25 Jan 11
Actually pretty much everybody uses facebook because it's a great way to communicate with other people and it's free so that make it's worth the while you know. So facebook is used for entertainment business or other things and everybody can go to facebook a lot if they want it's pretty much a choice that anybody is free to make.
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
You have good points in giving answer to this question. Hoping that Filipino can be of great use to them this FB thing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
@jamed28 (1903)
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
I think FX7 in here is asking why majority of the Filipinos and not why ONLY Filipinos. We are all well aware that Facebook is for everybody and not only for Filipinos. If its for the Filipinos only then Mark Zuckerberg would not invent it in the first place. Now why majority of the Filipinos are using Networking Sites like Facebook? Well Filipinos are social people. They are mostly interested of knowing other peoples life especially people they know. I hate to say this but social networking sites makes "gossiping" easy. And many Filipinos are into this kind of stuff. If you think I am wrong then I am wrong. This is just my opinion. But at least I read the question right in here. Good Day!
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
Yes that's right jamed28. I asked about the majority of Filipinos. Beside it's good to know that you are using FB in good faith. Besides, not all Filipinos are doing gossips in FB. I agreed some, but not all. I respect your opinion and thanks for answering this question.
@angel107 (307)
• Germany
25 Jan 11
Just like most of the response here. Facebook is created to connect people and since Filipinos love the CHISMIS they enjoy it. I on the other hand try to avoid checking facebook everyday because it consumes a lot of time. I just check it when I have a free time or a new message. I dont want to be addicted.
• Philippines
26 Jan 11
Well, everyone of us knows our limits in using FB and yours too. Our concerns are for people who uses FB in bad manner and wasting time that causes laziness. Thanks for participating in the discussion and I appreciate your concerns.
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
Facebook is a hit to everyone throughout the world . It is the most complete social networking site, IMO , around . What more application can let you exchange message, post status , play games, quizzzes in one platform ? Isn't it facebook only? It is a convenient tool to most of us . Personally, I use it to exchange messages with old friends through chat I haven't get in touched with personally throughout the years . Facebook lets us be updated on what's happening to them currently . Games rank in second to me . Their games are quite playable and a great way to take some time off .
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
You are a good user of FB and I thank you for that. It's very useful on our lives as what you answered. Thanks.
• India
25 Jan 11
Mylot is also full of filipinos
• Philippines
25 Jan 11
Hi mukhtar931, you're so cute! Yes, mylot is full of Filipinos. You know why, because this is the site that gives enjoyment and at the same time, earning money. Thank you.
1 person likes this
@xtedaxcvg (3189)
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Facebook is a phenomenon. It's both a social networking site and a site to play games. Also, while you're playing games, you are also socializing with other people. The reason why it is the most used site of Filipinos with regard to networking or socializing is because it has all the aspects that a Filipino want to socialize.
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Thank you for your opinion and I appreciate it. Yes, that's true friend.
@ybong007 (6643)
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
It's not limited to Filipinos alone. Facebook is just a phenomenon where almost everyone whose got access to the internet uses Facebook. Statistics show that there are over five hundred million subscribers. Currently the Philippines rank six or eight in terms of the numbers of users world wide which means that we have a long way to go before we catch up with the US and UK facebook users. But thise goes to show that Filipinos are fast catching up with the first world in utilizing the internet to socialize.
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
I salute you for your resourcefulness about statistics of FB. I'm happy to know that a Filipino like you could give an info like this. Thank you Bong.
@jennbart (1330)
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Its a cheap way to communicate with people we love abroad. I got in touch with my cousin who I have not seen for almost 30 years! so its really a wonderful thing that happened.
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
True, you put into good use in using FB. I thanked you for that. Great!
@ptower76 (1616)
• United States
24 Jan 11
Hi, welcome to mylot. Facebook has become popular all over the world. I use it as does most of my family members. Most of the people i know use it and there is even a new movie about it. The internet is a community just like any other. There are all kinds of people in the community. Some want to learn, some just want to play. Facebook provides for diversity and as a result has become quite famous. Who is to say they are not learning. My 68 year old aunt is now on facebook for about six months. Funny thing is that she never knew about computers and internet until she started going on facebook. Now she emails and is learning to send photos. She is very happy and we are all happy for her. If the filipinos are networking, more power to them I say.
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Your absolutely right ptower76, and I'm glad that you're a good user of FB and your family. There's always a good use of internet these days, and we have to educate some Filipinos who are not learning through it. I appreciate your contribution so much. regards to your family and thank you.
@visavis (5934)
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Not really like what you are thinking about our countrymen, they are using or we are using facebook for communicating with other friends, family and others. Some I agree that using facebook and other online sites for their lazyness but not all for sure. Because more and more are benefited for such kind of social networking for free just go online and do what you want. Some are using online sites for a business and more our countrymen are shown their talent from business to design internet, so you cannot judge them for one side only? see you around
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
I really appreciate your views and you're one of the positive user of FB. I am hoping that some lazy Filipinos would change their attitude toward using networking sites like FB. Thank you visavis for your time in answering my question.
@koikei (206)
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
greetings! i guess it's not just filipinos who are addicte to facebook. there are 500 million FB users last year and i'm sure it has increased this year. i love facebook and i even use my phone (whenever there's wifi) to access my newsfeed. i love getting realtime updates from friends :)
• Philippines
24 Jan 11
Your answer speaks that you are a good user of FB and that stay that way, so that your friends will follow you. Nowadays, we must use the networking sites as an extension of ourselves. Thanks for your answer friend.