Eat first pay later is that allowed in the grocery store?

@apples99 (6556)
United States
April 14, 2011 8:35pm CST
I sometimes see people shopping in the grocery store and they open boxes of cereal and fruit then they eat it right in the isles before paying for it, is that allowed while shopping? I prefer to pay first before eating the grocers I thought that's generally what your supposed to do, but when I see people eating the food items before paying I think to myself is that allowed and if not how come the workers in the store don't say anything?
1 person likes this
5 responses
@ShepherdSpy (8544)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
15 Apr 11
I don't believe Grocery stores would have a policy of allowing people shopping to "Graze" the produce while they're going around with their cart or basket..Some Restaurants and other establishments,like Berbers and Hairdressers,take payment after the service is done,but in shops they do expect you to pay before eating-if it's on the shelf,it's still their property-it's not yours until you clear the checkout...
@apples99 (6556)
• United States
15 Apr 11
I wounder why I've seen so many grocery shoppers eating things first and paying later? and the store doesn't say anything or maybe the store just didn't notice.
@p3ks626 (6538)
• Philippines
22 Apr 11
I do that sometimes especially if I wanted to eat popsicles right away, I eat it there at the spot and just give the wrapper to the cashier when its already time to pay. There are stores that dont alloow that but sometimes they cant prevent it. Hopefully, customers are going to be honest.
@KrauseHome (36448)
• United States
18 Apr 11
I think sometimes it is because they seem to get too busy involved with other things in the store to not notice, and I know in some stores you will see empty cans or bottles of soda wondering how much loss the stores really do endure. No wonder the prices continue to go up. Have they ever thought that this is about the same as stealing if not paid for first?
@maximax8 (31053)
• United Kingdom
15 Apr 11
I don't think grocery stores have the policy of allowing people to eat food that haven't paid for in the isles. If the person or people are hungry they should rush to put all they wish in a shopping basket then go to the hand basket only till. Once they are out of the shop with the receipt they can eat the food. I wonder if the shopping assistants are scared to deal with a shopper that is grazing in the shop. I know that stealing a product then the police would be called round. It is not right to eat first and pay later in a grocery shop. Fruit might be weighted and if someone ate ten grapes they wouldn't pay the right amount at the cash desk.
@o0jopak0o (6394)
• Philippines
15 Apr 11
Well I have seen people do that and the guards or people working there didn't talk to them i guess its sort of allowed. But i guess its much better to just pay it first.