Do You Know The Reason For Rainbows

@gtargirl (5376)
United States
January 4, 2012 4:10pm CST
I love rainbows. Sometimes where I live, in the desert at the foothills of snowy mountains I catch the end of a rainbow. Honestly, no kidding. In any case, have you ever wondered why rainbows appear? And when do they appear. I know everyone knows the answer. After the rain stops, right? Or something like that. Keeping to my theme of going through the Bible in 2012--the reason (and the first appearance) for a rainbow is found in Genesis 9 after the flood of Noah's time ... 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.” Don't you just love rainbows? What was your explanation for them?
1 person likes this
5 responses
@celticeagle (159008)
• Boise, Idaho
4 Jan 12
My meaning for rainbows was always a new start after a storm and good luck. The story of Noah is nice as well. The end of a rainbow is supposed to have a bucket of gold. hehe
@gtargirl (5376)
• United States
5 Jan 12
You are so right . . . it is a new start after the storm. Love it. And I looked for the pot of gold. But somebody must have beat me to it.
1 person likes this
@celticeagle (159008)
• Boise, Idaho
7 Jan 12
They always beat us to it.
• India
5 Jan 12
we see Rainbows when sun is right behind us and falling rain is infront of us. when the sunlight strikes a falling drop of water,it is refracted,changed in direction,by the surfaces of water. the light continuous into the drop and is reflected from the back of the drop to the front.when the beam hits the front it is refacted again and emerges from the drop as color spectrum that we see as rainbow. the water drop acts like a prism to seperate the light into its different wavelength. if the beam is reflected twice inside of the water drop it will cause a secondary rainbow to appear when the light leaves the water drop.the colors of the secondary rainbow is now reversed in order with violet on the top and red at the bottom. hope you have understood what i said....
1 person likes this
@gtargirl (5376)
• United States
5 Jan 12
You're very poetic. Love the descriptive words. Thanks for the wonderful info.
@lilaclady (28207)
• Australia
4 Jan 12
I have always thought the rainbow was a kind of light show from the falling rain, I could be wrong but I have always taken it as a gift from nature.
@gtargirl (5376)
• United States
4 Jan 12
Absolutely, lilaclady, it is a gift from nature which God created. I just love the fact the reason behind it. It was a promise that our Earth would never again be completely flooded. "A light show from falling rain" so peaceful. Thanks for that.
@winterose (39887)
• Canada
5 Jan 12
yes i remember this from the bible, so poetic
1 person likes this
@gtargirl (5376)
• United States
5 Jan 12
I so agree, winterose, it really is poetic.
@dawnald (85135)
• Shingle Springs, California
5 Jan 12
I have no explanation, I just appreciate their beauty.
@gtargirl (5376)
• United States
5 Jan 12
Me too. And God knows we need beauty in our lives.