How to save extra money

Philippines
July 25, 2012 10:14pm CST
Instead of finding new job which gives us higher pay, let's focus instead on tips on how to save money. What I do is that I bring my own cooked food at work so that I would not have to buy packed food which costs more money. We conduct carpool so instead of us only paying for gas it is divided among us and my husband's officemate. Since our ref does not contain lots of food, I unplug it around 11 pm and re plug it around 6 am. That way we can save electricity. Every payroll, I save 1k in another bank account and do not spend it. How about you guys, how do you save money to help your budget?
6 responses
@magnel (2263)
• India
26 Jul 12
I use to drive my vehicle to office, but have now started using public transport with monthly pass due to hike in gas prices. This has allowed to travel in ease and also save me a good deal every month. Now I don't drive my vehicle and also no parking problem :)
• Philippines
27 Jul 12
Parking space is free at my husband's office. What we do for us to save for gas is that we ask my husband's office mates to have carpool with us. We share the expenses for gasoline.
@magnel (2263)
• India
27 Jul 12
Yes, its free for me too at my office. But apart from office, it becomes a problem when we travel to places in a crowded city like ours. During this course, I have started realizing that using public transport will also reduce my vehicle from the streets and I am not contributing to pollution.
@Suzieqmom (2755)
• United States
26 Jul 12
This is a very good idea. Some things we do to save money are to make sure all of the lights are off when we leave a room, unplug all non-essential appliances when not in use, make sure no water is running in sinks or toilets, take shorter showers, turn off the water when brushing teeth and reusing things such as containers as often as possible. We also try to plan our errands wisely so that we are driving the shortest distance possible on any given trip. Finally, we use coupons! they really do save you some money, although they can be a pain to keep track of. Every little bit helps!
• Philippines
27 Jul 12
Another thing is that I have a budget that I stick to every month. So when I go to a supermarket to buy cleaning stuff, I choose the less known brand but same quality to cut on costs.
@camalich (1117)
• Spain
26 Jul 12
You are so right! Many people don't ever think about paying less or look for ways to save money like switching off the TV instead of turning it off using the remote control; specially overnight. Don't use the car and take a walk! I see many people taking the car to drive for one minute!! What is that? 5 minute walk seems to be too much for them :( There are really some simple things we can do that will save you money every day but many just don't care but to earn more instead... It's not richer the one who has more but the one who needs less...
• Philippines
27 Jul 12
I have another one, if you use aircon at home, set the time so that you will not have to use the aircon for a long time.
@Porcospino (31366)
• Denmark
26 Jul 12
When I am visit the shops in my town I walk instead of driving and I am able to save some money on gas that way. I love buy coffee in a coffeeshop, but I have cut back on the money that I spend there. I make my own coffee instead. I have also cut back on the money that I spend on other things like icecream or candy, and I am able to save quite a lot of money that way. My husband and I usually eat a home and we cook our food. We shop in the discount shops instead of the expensive supermarkets. We can't get everything there, but we can get most of the groceries that we need. When we buy food for our pets we buy huge bags instead of many small bags, and the huge bags are much cheaper.
@airkulet (2700)
• Philippines
26 Jul 12
I have a question for ref that you unplug and replug, I have this belief that if its like that its lifespan may weaken or it will easily breakout, or is it just a myth
• Philippines
26 Jul 12
I don't know. I have'nt heard of that story yet. Probably best to ask someone who is expert in this.
@ARIES1973 (11426)
• Legaspi, Philippines
26 Jul 12
Yes aileen, I agree with this idea. We have to think about saving even in little ways. I am also a very thrifty person, but with my present assignment at work, I am really always running out of budget. We can also have additional source of income in order to get additional earnings. Online work can help us on this area.