Colored Ribbons, Colored Bracelets, Where Are We Going To Put Them All? Part 1

United States
December 27, 2006 3:57pm CST
As a breast cancer survivor I must admit that the sight of a "pink ribbon" touches my heart; but as a nation we have become totally "Ribbon Obsessed". Can you imagine if instead of purchasing all of the ribbons I am about to list, we all made that $1.00 or more donation to the "cause" we are supporting, how much actual research could be done in the name of our causes. I am going to do this in installments because the list is VERY LONG. BLACK RIBBONS Accident Amish Support Anti-Terrorism Gang Prevention Gun Control Melanoma (alternate color - orange) Mourning Narcolepsy POW/MIA (alternate - yellow) Primary Bilary Cirrhosis Sleep Apnea Sleep Disorders Students for Gun Control Trauma BLACK AND BLUE Loss of Brother Mourning a Brother Loss of a Male Child Mourning a Son BLACK AND GOLD Platelet Donor BLACK AND PINK Loss of a Daughter Mourning of a Daughter Loss of a Sister Mourning a Sister BLACK AND RED Murdered Victim Murdered Children BLACK AND WHITE Anti-Racism Carcinoid Cancer Diversity Transitions Vaccine Awareness BLUE Alopecia Ankylosing Spondylitis ARDS Arthritis Brachial Plexus Injuries Child Abuse Prevention Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Colitis (alt color - purple) Colon Cancer (alt color -brown) Colorectal Cancer (alt color - brown) Crime Victim's Rights Chron's Disease (alt color -purple) Drowning Awareness Dysautonomia Dystonia Education Epstein-Barr Virus Erb's Palsy Familial Polyposis (alt color - brown) Free Speech Guillain Barre Syndrome Huntington's Disease Hurricane Hystiocytosis Ichthyosis Interstitial Cystitis Langerhans Cell Hystiocytosis Leukodystrophies ME/CFIDS Myositis Police Lost In Duty Rectal Cancer Restless Legs Syndrome Reye's Syndrome Save the Music Short Bowel Syndrome Steven Johnson Syndrome Teens Against Smoking Transverse Myelitis Victim's Rights Water Accidents Water Quality Water Safety LIGHT BLUE Addison's Disease Behcet's Disease Chronic Illness Cushing Syndrome DiGeorge Sequence Grave's Disease Hyperaldosteronism Kleinfelter's Syndrome Lymphedema Men's Health Pro Choice Prostate Cancer Scleroderma Shprintzen Syndrome Spay or Neuter Pets Thyroid Disease Trisomy 18 Velo-Cardio Facial Syndrome BLUE AND SILVER Coping With Cancer BLUE AND WHITE Teen Cancer BLUE AND YELLOW Designated Driver Down Syndrome
1 person likes this
3 responses
@reinydawn (11643)
• United States
28 Dec 06
I see them on cars all the time for everything. I have no clue what half of them are for any more.
2 people like this
• United States
27 Dec 06
I only purchase the pink ribbon. I have purchased pink ones several times. For some reason the magnetic ones come up missing from my car. People take them.
• United States
28 Dec 06
You are absolutely right,that much more money could be dona- ted to the cause. But I am also guilty of the above, when I purchase or accept one, I feel that in a small way I am supporting whatever the cause is, and I like that visual connection that's made when you encounter another person who is supportive of whatever the cause is. For instance, I have a yellow bracelet that I never take off, I have had it for almost 3 years. It says 'LIVESTRONG'[Lance Armstrong] and it not only indicates my support for his cause, put I find him and the message inspirational.
1 person likes this