Why Do Men Leave the Toilet Seat Up!

@lpetges (3036)
United States
January 27, 2007 5:37pm CST
i am so tired of that middle of the night, almost falling int he toilet! what is so hard about putting the seat back down????
1 person likes this
12 responses
@KrisNY (7590)
• United States
11 Feb 07
I got a chuckle out of some mens responses here- In my house there is me, my sig other, and my daughter-- So girls rule by 2 to 1. Do you think the toilet seat is down in the middle of them night? Nope-- But you know what-- I don't much care-- I always feel for it in the dark before I sit down.. and really I've decided to pick my battles. Once in a while I'll complain and then I notice the seat is up more often.. usually he puts it down.. But like I said when he doesn't I just grin- and put it down... I'd rather argue over the remote! lol
@Jupister (49)
• United States
11 Feb 07
Whats so hard about looking before you sit? Maybe if you don't rush in and look before you sit like i do, this wouldn't be a problem. It isn't that hard, really.
2 people like this
@lpetges (3036)
• United States
15 Feb 07
i guess that out of respect and cleanliness, that would just be the courtious thing to do??
• United States
27 Jan 07
Seriously, I think a lot of men just get a good laugh from doing it. Now, I'm not trying to jerk your chain, just telling you the truth. Please, do not tell my wife what I said.
• United States
11 Feb 07
I don't know the problem is with other men. They always leave it up. Unless the woman trains them to either put it down or sit down they leave it up. I'm a guy and my friend leaves it up after he uses the toilet. It bothers me and I'm a guy. It's not that hard guys just lift, then put down. Then wash hands.
2 people like this
@lpetges (3036)
• United States
15 Feb 07
i totally agree, great answer!!
10 Feb 07
I also want to know that. It's very frustrating... My boyfriend always let the seat up...
2 people like this
@verbose (87)
• United States
10 Feb 07
well I am not sure I have been broken of the habit except when I am very tired but as you say it is very easy. Why not check before you sit down.Luckily in my liveing sitution I have my own bath room so it works out good
2 people like this
@kabella50 (309)
• United States
12 Feb 07
What is the big deal???really,I am woman and I am 56 years old and never have I backed into the bathroom at anytime day or night.I have sat upon a seat without the seat being down,but I usually wasn't looking.I have never understood the argument about men putting down the seat top.I can understand the complaint of them wetting the seat when they use it ,but putting it up or down is a silly thing to take so serious,really.
1 person likes this
@lpetges (3036)
• United States
15 Feb 07
i don't really take this so seriously,.just wondering what makes a man think./ of course i could wait a lifetime and never know the answer to that one. But you must have felt compelled to be in on this discussion/ if only to say you don't care, so thanks for your opinion!
@MsTickle (25180)
• Australia
12 Feb 07
I live alone and have a separate loo. I don't even like to SEE the toilet...lol. But I forget to pull the door to when I leave. That's okay but then every time I walk past I see the loo with the lid up and I think..eewww...not nice. Now I don't know why I don't like my toilet, it's useful and I generally leave feeling much better than before I went in. It could be that I don't like it because it smells sometimes. Or perhaps it's because when it's the middle of the night and cold and I've put off throwing off the covers and then had a mad dash to use the pot and I'm letting go as I sit and I've put the cover down!!!! Sometimes you just can't win.
@MsTickle (25180)
• Australia
12 Feb 07
Sorry, didn't really adress your question. It's not just men. this toilet seat problem is shared by men AND women. Just be glad you don't live in some Asian countries where there is a long wide slot in the floor and women have to squat!!!
@glenry86 (211)
• Australia
10 Feb 07
At the same time what's so hard bout leaving the seat up? sorry love but i really dont understand why this toilet issue is so frustrating, its not that hard to put the seat down when its up
1 person likes this
@lpetges (3036)
• United States
10 Feb 07
ew-why should i have to put it down when i didn't put it up?
1 person likes this
• Canada
16 Feb 07
this never bothered me before, except the one night i went to use the bathroom after my boyfriend had left, and I fell in the toilet. what a shock to my system at 2am! I dn't teribly mind putting the seat down, after all everytime i flush i have to put the lid down, and the next person would hav eto put the lid up...of course it would suck if someone sat down on the lid and started peeing, LOL!!
• United States
30 Jul 10
Guys don't mean any harm:D.They just forget to lift or they might not like touching it cuz it's dirty. Check out this product! Using this, you can remind him to put it down for you by making it cleaner& easier to put it back down. http://www.qleanup.com
• United States
30 Jul 10
Guys don't mean any harm. They just forget to lift it because they are used to it, or they don't like touching the seat either cuz it's dirty. Check out this product! With this you can remind him to put it down for you and make it cleaner & easier to put it back down! http://www.qleanup.com