What's the perfect age to get married?

@creed22 (112)
United States
February 26, 2007 1:07am CST
Do you have the perfect age you would want to, or already have gotten married? Do you beleive in abstinence until marriage? I believe my perfect age would of been about 21, when im still young and full of energy, but not young enough to make as many wrong decisions. At 21, you should have a basic foundation in place and some stability to keep a family together. I have friends that have gotten married as early as 16, and much much older than 21. So do you have a perfect age for marriage? If so, what are your reasons for choosing this age?
9 people like this
54 responses
• Canada
26 Feb 07
There is no perfect age. People need to get ready when it is right for them. My sister and brother-in-law were married when she was 19 and he was 21, and they've been married for almost 10 years. They have a wonderful marriage.
2 people like this
@creed22 (112)
• United States
26 Feb 07
I agree you can fall in love at any age. If you were living in a perfect world, what age would be the most ideal to you? Current statistics show in the USA that over 50% of marriages fail (this is based of of 2000 statistics) and they are growing worse each year. What do you think would help reverse this startling statistic and bring it back to a much lower and more manageable level?
1 person likes this
@nairjula (453)
• India
26 Feb 07
For a girl it could be anything between 20 and 26. By crossing 26 you are a little bit old. Less than 20 is too you. Before 20 you are not mature enough to take decision in the life.
@creed22 (112)
• United States
26 Feb 07
I can see why you would choose sometime between those two ages. As a teenager you may strive to be fully mature and want to take on several responsibilities, but you still may not be ready to take the plunge. If you wait too long you may not have the energy to give the children your 100% best. I appreciate your reply.
@chel621 (98)
• Philippines
26 Feb 07
I think there is no such age in getting married. As long as you both are mature enough to know the consequences that you will enter, the happy and sad life of being married. And also you and your partner should be financially and emotionally ready to enter the marriage life.
1 person likes this
@creed22 (112)
• United States
26 Feb 07
Thanks for adding to the discussion chel. You make very valid points. I agree that if you both are in love, there is no set age and it can be as early as in your teens, or you both can be retired and looking for some new excitement. If you had an ideal age, that if your life was planned out to perfection, what would that age be? Would your perfect date be in your early 20's, teen's?
• United States
27 Feb 07
I think personally 25 and older is the best age. Why? At 21 I was NO where near marriage age. I think after 25 is good. Its the best age. I'm 27 and not married yet. But those who marry before 21 I dont think thats good cause its a chance they wont stay married. Just food for though I guess. I'd say I wanted to be married BEFORE 25. But looking back I know I wasnt near ready till at least 24 or 25!
1 person likes this
@Toushiro (28)
• United States
27 Feb 07
There is no right age in getting married. You should just know the consequences that you are getting in to, thru happiness and problems you should work both work it out.
1 person likes this
• Singapore
27 Feb 07
We should get married when we are ready. Personally, I need to qualify that statement - physically, emotional and financially. I asked myself in the past - why do I want to get married? For me, I want to have a lifetime companion to share my happy moments and give me support when I need them. It will be quite lonely to live our life just by ourselves. To me, emotionally and financially ready are more important requisites for marriage. Both individuals must be responsible adults as marriage is a lifetime commitment. It is easier to establish ourselves financially while we are single. Once married, we have to spend time with our spouse and subsequently our children. Do spend sufficient time to get to know our life partner well. Make our own decision and be responsible for it. There is really no perfect guideline as to any numerical benchmark. For me, I would rather go with my heart and ask myself deeply whether I am ready for anything. In fact, most of the time we know the answer. We just want to be doubly sure when we check with others for their opinion. Our journey through life is a learning process. It is important to have a lifetime learning mindset. So we will continue to grow and grow by learning.
• Philippines
27 Feb 07
I got married at the age of 25 and for me,it was the right age to enter marriage..for me to be strong enough to face some struggles and obstacles in marriage life..
1 person likes this
@prismcat (26)
• United States
27 Feb 07
There is no perfect age for marriage, but as a general guideline I would say folks should wait until they are done with their educational goals, whether that is graduating tech school or college. It's hard to finish school when you have to work to support yourself and/or other people. As for abstinece, I'm old-fashioned and think people should wait for the committment of marriage, but I'm probably in the minority. There's just too much baggage a person carries with them if they have "been around the block" before they meet that special someone (guilt, shame, s.t.d.s, illigitimate kids, etc...) I feel that arriage was designed by God to be between one man and one woman and the "act of marriage" should be reserved for that union.
1 person likes this
@shila07 (514)
• Bhutan
26 Feb 07
The perfect age to get mariied is from age 24 to 28, i thing, between this years will be best for the women's life, for men, i think from age 20- 70 is the perfect age.
@creed22 (112)
• United States
26 Feb 07
Shila your ideal age is not too different than mine, just a few years later. I agree by this point in life you should have fully matured and be ready to handle the responsibilities of raising a family. Depending on your own personal situation, your perfect age could be quite different than the next persons. Thanks Shila.
• Philippines
7 Mar 07
There is no such right age. A slong as you are emotionally, inetllectually and financially stable, then you are capable of having your own family. I got married when I was 26 turning 27. yet at first I am afraid because I think I am not yet ready about it ( especially em0tionally and for other reason such as having a new responsibility) but as days goes by, I am starting to learn new things, more exciting things about getting married and starting a new life ahead. Though it may be hard at first, but once you think about the pro's and cons of getting married, well, you may understand eventually. Honestly speaking, it depends upon your perspective and belief about getting married, I know for some people, they got married young , not prepared for the responsibilities and yet they are now enjoying their married life and still strong with the relationship. Actually, either you are young or old to get married, as long aas you know what does marriage means to your life and to your spouse, then definitely age is not a big deal after all. as I have said earlier, as long as you are emotionally and financially stable, ther's no problem at all. Anyway, There are best things in life that God has to offer us as you live together with the person you trully love.
@mmiller26 (1930)
• Canada
26 Feb 07
I don't think there is a "perfect age". I think whenever you're emotionally ready is the best time to do it. I got married when I was 19, and I had no idea what it meant to be married. I thought it was playing house and living happily ever after, and never knew how much work it takes to make a marriage thrive. I made a lot of mistakes and it took me a while to grow up and be mature enough to handle it. All of my friends who married around the same age tell me the same thing. They weren't ready for it, didn't know how to make the marriage work, and the first few years were extremely hard because they fought all the time. I would say 25-28 is probably more ideal, simply because you've had time to mature, you have a better idea of what you want for yourself and have defined goals that you want to reach, are more emotionally stable and have learned enough about the world to know that anything worth having is going to take some effort.
@creed22 (112)
• United States
26 Feb 07
Thank you both for adding to this discussion. Your story adds a great arguement, as long as your emotionally ready then you're ready to take on the responsibility. Im glad you noted that a lot of your friends who got married early have regretted jumping into it so soon.
• Pakistan
26 Feb 07
I agree with mmiller26. I am single male of 29, I think for females ideal age is 22-30, and for males it is 24-30.
• United States
27 Feb 07
I'd say your late 20's to early 30's, gives you time to mature and sew all your wild oats.
• India
7 Mar 07
when u get your perfect pratner which is according to you is perfect to marriage.
• India
27 Feb 07
Of course the minimum age according to law should be 21 years. Beyond that its totally upto the individual, though I guess he/she should take the decision before he/she is 36 years old. Thats because you dont want your kids playing baseball/cricket, and you only end up being a spectator, rather than playing with your kids. The other part of course being the generation gap widening. But before that the individual can be expected to be financially stable. The most important aspect of course is that you have been in more than one affair to realise what kind of person do you want to spend your whole life with.
• United States
27 Feb 07
yeah i think the perfect age to get married is between 27 and 30 because by that time you should have gotten all of your partying out and should be ready to settle down and you should hopefully be set in your career
1 person likes this
• United States
7 Mar 07
As you have probably seen in the posts that perfect age is definitely different for everyone. Not only do you have to find the right person, you have to be mature enough yourself to handle the extra responsibilities that come along with marriage which for some might be as young as 17 or old as 35. If you want just in general I would say in my opinion that 23 to 24 is about right. You have had time to go to college, party, meet people, party and drink legally, and decide what kind of person you want to be with the rest of your life.
• Philippines
27 Feb 07
Well for me theirs no ideal age or perfect age to get married.When the man is ready to face the responsibility and stable in life, that is perfect time to get married.
• United States
27 Feb 07
Not before you are 25 if you ask me, i dont think that you are the person you will be for the rest of your life until around that age.
@vijvss (4)
• India
27 Feb 07
i think its above 25 to 32 the males,and above 20 to28 the female this is best to control the population
@gurl976 (48)
• United States
27 Feb 07
I think its not an age, but more so a life style. You need to be financially and emotionally ready for such a life changing commitmnet
• Pakistan
27 Feb 07
Perfect age for marriage is when you think you are mature enough to take your own decision and you realized that now most of the decision taken by you are going into rite direction. This would be signal for doing so many things right afterward like: -to choose right person -to start a right starting point -to manage family -to take responsibilitie -to tackle conflicts And i personally think one should get marriage in an age of 25-30.