Is This Like The Weirdest Movie Ever?

@gtargirl (5385)
I have no idea what reminded me of this. It might have been someone's avatar here at MyLot . . . I can't remember. But I was thinking of off-the-wall movies and "Clockwork Orange" invaded my brain cells. Does anyone else remember this movie? I only saw it once but it pretty much disturbed me. If I remember correctly, they were trying to rehabilitate a criminal by making him watch movies. LOL. I'm assuming it was nice movies. Does anyone else remember "Clockwork Orange"?
@ShepherdSpy (8561)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I was too young to go and see it when it was released in cinemas,and then it became classified as one of the original "Video Nasties" and basically driven underground! I only saw it on TV for the first time quite recently,and in view of Your question,if not the weirdest movie I've ever seen,certainly would be on the shortlist! As I recall,the movies they were showing him was part of a form of aversion therapy,so they were quite disturbing too.. I hadn't realised til after seeing it that the singer Moloko took her name from the Film!
@gtargirl (5385)
Ah yes, those underground video nasties. This one certainly deserved that title. I'm guessing aversion therapy has not had much success. And who's Moloko?
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kl8mpAvTm_Y Enjoy!
@gtargirl (5385)
Oh, she's very sultry. I like the windy hair affect.
I never saw the movie. In college ( a conservative, Christian college, no less) I remember having to read it, and I did not like it. The reasoning was that we need to know what is going on in the world, I think. It was supposed to make us think. I made an A in the class, but that was not unusual.
@gtargirl (5385)
The movie was probably worse than the book. And now I'm a little disturbed that a Christian college would have you read it. LOL. Not really. But if you had to read anything to keep you in touch with what's going on in the world, there's plenty of good books that would do that for ya. Hey GG, thanks for dropping in, hope you're having an awesome weekend. I'm watching way too much football.
It has been well over thirty five years ago, so I do not remember her reasoning, but it seemed okay at that time. I did not like the book though. We also read CS Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet, and it was strange as well,and he is a Christian writer. I am wondering if we compared and contrasted the two, but I cannot remember.
@gtargirl (5385)
I just finished "Out of a Silent Planet." It was awesome, but then again I love Sci-fi/fantasy. And CS Lewis is one of my favorite authors. I think this generation is more prepared for that genre now. I would have loved to be in that class with you. Comparing those two books would have been a most interesting discussion.
@Margajoe (4718)
Nope, never hear of that one. Nice rehab though. Watching movies to rehabilitate, hahaha! Groetjes, Margajoe.
@gtargirl (5385)
Ah but the bad thing was, it didn't work.
@Margajoe (4718)
Oh , well that is bad. I remember I had a very hard time when I was around 30 years old. I only worked and watched cartoon network on tv. I was not happy and I was so tired of everything. It really helped me, to watch cartoons. I think it was because it took me out of reality and brought me back to my childhood.It took about 3 months and I was back to normal.hahaha! Groetjes, happy mylotting.
@EvrWonder (3577)
I can't say that I have ever seen Clockwork Orange but my curiosity is now peaked. One of the last movies that stands out in my brain lately is Skeleton Key. Directed by Iain Softley [2005]. With Kate Hudson, Gena Rowlands, John Hurt. "A young woman helping care for an invalid in New Orleans finds herself caught in the middle of morbid going-ons centered around a group of Hoodoo (Not Voodoo, it's of a different culture. Voodoo is Haitian while Hoodoo is an old African American magic that just like Voodoo only works if you believe in it.) practitioners". Read more on this movie from here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397101/plotsummary It was a pretty good movie. I loved the way it really came together in the end but You must carefully watch the very beginning to understand it. Around the same time I watched Dream catcher, where a friend of mine played as an extra in the scene where they are all in the hospital. She is in one hospital bed. Another one I seen at the same time was Wax House. Kind of low budget but none the less, that was a week end for scary type movies. Fun! I will look up Clockwork Orange next time I am selecting movies for the week end.
@gtargirl (5385)
I will have to check it out even though I probably shouldn't. And I probably would have like Wax House in my younger years. I scare too easily now.
@EvrWonder (3577)
Wax House has some very graphical gory scenes. The Skeleton Key is recommended if you are into watching a good movie.
@littleone3 (2065)
I have never seen the film 'Clockwork Orange'. But know that it was banned here in the UK when it first came out in the 70s. I was told it was very hard to get hold of. It has only become avaliable to buy in recent years.
@gtargirl (5385)
Now that's interesting. It actually got banned in the UK? Wow! We're so much more prudish in the States and it was shown here.
@thorgrym (677)
LOVE 'A Clockwork Orange'!!! I haven't seen it in years but I think my next trip to Blockbuster will find me renting it. Honestly, I can't say what it is about the movie that I like so much. It is certainly a twisted one though. While I wouldn't call myself a Stanley Kubrick fan, I have to admit that there were several of his movies that will be memorable for me...Dr. Strangelove and 2001: A Space Odyssey come to mind. The scene you are referring to, yes they are trying to rehabilitate Alex by forcing him to watch movies. However, the videos depict horrible things. Shown repeatedly and forcibly, the hope is that he will be so repulsed by what he has seen that he will be physically unable to commit the same acts of violence and crime.
@gtargirl (5385)
I usually like twisted, but this one was twisting my tummy a tad bit too much. I think I was disturbed even more when Alex could not be rehabilitated and was happy about it. That hooligan. BTW, I didn't know it was a Stanley Kubrick flick. I like A Space Odyssey.
@stephcjh (32327)
I think I have heard of it before but have never seen it. I will have to check it out through Netflix sometimes.
@gtargirl (5385)
Okay, but you've been warned.
@capirani (1841)
I never saw that movie. But I can say that the wierdest movie I ever saw was back in 1974 at a drive in theater down in Tampa, Florida. It was called Zardoz and starred Sean Connery of James Bond fame. I cannot even begin to explain it except that it made very little sense. There was this world and Sean Connery was the "hero" but didn't know it yet. The world was in trouble of some kind and he had to find the way to solve the problems. Accidently almost, in the end, he is standing in this library in the world and happens to see a book. The land I think is called Zardoz. Or maybe it is his name. Anyway, he sees these words on the end of the book, but part of the book is covered up. He pulls the book off the shelf and finds the full title of the book....can you guess what the title was? Well, it was The Wizard of Oz. The way the book was placed, or maybe it was damaged...it was a lot of years ago...left the title as only Zardoz and the people of this world....well, that's all I really can tell because it was confusing and made no sense at all. But once he found the true title of the book, he quickly solved their problems and became the hero. Of course the solution made no more sense than did the rest of the movie.
@thorgrym (677)
Oh, that was such a bad movie! When I was in high school growing up on Cape Cod, my friends and I generally had nothing better to do during the winter months than to head to the video store (no such thing as BlockBuster then) and rent movies. Zardoz was one of the movies that we rented. As you can imagine, our choices began to run a little thin, but we all liked sci-fi and Sean Connery so we gave it a shot. I can only imagine that Connery has that movie firmly in the "I can't believe I did that one" category.
@gtargirl (5385)
Well, who would have thought that Sean Connery would actually make a bad movie. I'll be sure to put Zardoz on my do-not-watch list. Thanks Capirani.
@capirani (1841)
WOW! Now you are the first person I have run into other than the ones I went to the movie with, who ever saw the movie...or at least who will admit to seeing it. Now it would be just something to see just to prove Sean Connery actually did a bad movie. Or not...it is really bad.
@Lakota12 (42681)
yup I tried to wqatch it didnt make any since to me one bit!