We all know it shouldn't be done! We all know that it is wrong!

@ersmommy1 (12597)
But can it be avoided? Do you think you are guilty? Favoritism, do you show it with your children? As I have a newborn and a 5 1/2 year old, as yet this isn't a problem. Does this happen often? Does it happen more with step children?
Favoritism is a hot topic. People don't like it. Some people have lingering simmering resentments about childhood perceptions of favoritism. It is only natural, sometimes, that one child is favored over another. The bright, cheerful, outgoing child will naturally captivate the hearts of some parents. On the other hand, some parents are the dysfunctional need to be needed kind and they will be drawn to the child who is the most dramatic mess possible. I think one needs to be aware of the feelings of your children and pay attention to perceptions of favoritism.
If you have many children, you naturally don't feel the same toward each of them. It doesn't mean you love any of them less; it is just human and natural to feel differently toward each of them. :) Cheers and happy Mylotting
@subha12 (18452)
yes it should not be done. many parents want not to do so. still they end up being partial. in many families in occur.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
Hi dear i dont think there should be any favourtism for kids or its there u i know ar core of heart, all kids are same u feel same happiness on their success and feel pain in heart if they are in trouble not sure about step kids as have no experience take care
@lilybug (21145)
I don't favor one child over the other, but my daughter needs more care and attention than my son since she is a lot younger. I know that it happens though. I know growing up my dad had a favorite. He will freely admit it too.
@katsmeow1213 (28926)
I have a different favorite child each day, it depends on who's behaving and who isn't. 9 times out of 10 it's one of the little ones, because even when they do misbehave, they don't know any better, so it's easy to forgive and understand. The older kids know better, so when they act up it's harder to handle and frustrates me easily. I'd have to say over all my toddler is my favorite, I think he always has been, I just had more of a bond with him at birth than any of the others. But I don't show it to the other kids. They all get equal amounts of attention, except when the older 3 are in school, and it's just me and the 2 little ones.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
I don't have children but I do on occasion show favoritism toward my little sister because I helped raise her. I was there everyday in the beginning taking care of her daily so I feel closer to her then the other kids in the family. I also feel closer to a nephew then I do the other kids in his family because I also helped raise him and had him everyday till he was 4. So Yeah I feel closer to these two. I do feel guilty at times. It's not that I don't love the others it is just that I am not as close. I am a step child so I know how that can be also. And no matter how good you are it won't change things. because some people have their mind set on stubborn and just won't let the others close.
@Pleiades (846)
I'm guilty of it. My 13 year old daughter and I do everything together. After awhile, I realized that my 12 year old son and I had virtually nothing in common. So, I decided to let him buy some video games and we played that. You know what, that worked. It wasn't that I favoured one child over the other, I didn't have anything in common with him, that's all. *Pleiades
@stephcjh (32327)
I only have one child so I do not have to show any kind of favoritism. I think it may be like that if I had more than one child though because one may mind better than the other one.
@riyasam (16571)
i dONOT SHOW ANY FAVORITISM BUT I TEND TO GIVE MORE CARE TO MY 2YEAR OLD ,THEN MY 6YR OLD DAUGHTER GETS JEALOUS.HOPE,IT IS JUST A PHASE AND THAT SHE OUTGROWS IT.
Let's just hope he understands the underlying reasons. Maybe the younger one needs more your attention...and if not this can be hurtful, psychologist said parents who show favoritism can have repercussion on the self esteem and the scars can be carry into adulthood. And its damaging. If the need for love, caring and support is not met buy a parent during childhood this can cause anger and disappointment which has negative effects later in life...
i have to say i favor my daughter more than i do my step children but i think that is just cause she is mine and they arent. i love them but i do notice i pay my daughter more attention i play with her more and my patience with her is a lot better than it iw with them. this is somethign i am working on. i think beign a step parent is a lot harder though