Length of time lived after diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes

@suspenseful (40314)
I was wondering how long does one live after a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes? Whether it is a certain number of years after they have been told or whether those who have diabetes will usually die in their 70s even if they take care of themselves? The reason I am asking this is that there is a certain television commercial to test diabetics who are from the age of 18 to 75 for a certain product or treatment and I was wondering whether it was because the maximum age for a type 2 diabetic lifespan is 75. I am not asking about Type 1 diabetes.
@carpenter5 (6786)
Finding out you have diabetes is scary. But don't panic. Type 2 diabetes is serious, but people with diabetes can live long, healthy, happy lives. This came from diabetes.org My mother in law has type 2 diabetes and she has been controlling hers with diet for almost 50 years!
@suspenseful (40314)
So how old is your mother-in-law? That would give me a good idea.
Let's see...she was born in April of 1941. So that would make her 68 on her birthday of this year. I know she's fought her sugar since before her kids were born. I've heard her talk about when she first started having trouble with it, she was newly married and everyone thought it was nerves, pregnancy etc...at first. They just didn't know much about it back then.
@suspenseful (40314)
Well I just turned 66 and I was diagnosed last year, but might have had it for longer only I did not have any severe symptoms, just very tired in the afternoons, and frequent trips to the washroom.
The following link should help you with the life spans. It depends how old you were when diagnosed. I had a fasting blood test done this morning so I should know on Friday if I have type 2. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/women/
@suspenseful (40314)
It does tell you when most get diabetes, but how many have it in the various states, but it does not tell you how long one lives in the various areas or how one lives after the diagnosis. It just gives the percentage of women and men who get diabetes and where the highest concentration is.
@suspenseful (40314)
I passed it.
@elemental69 (1562)
there is no determined life span for a diabetic. An aunt of mine is 92 and is type 2 diabetic.
@crazydaisy (3899)
I beleive as long as you look after your self you can live up to 80s or 90s or it all depends on how you live and look after your self!! Healthy life what counts it help allot. cd
@suspenseful (40314)
I always thought that with diabetes, you did not live past your 70s. And I guess many felt that way, like for instance my father-in-law, and that could be the reason that once someone gets a diagnosis, they tend to not eat as healthy and keep on eating the wrong food, because they say "what's the use?" and those scare warnings such as going blind, feet nerves getting damaged, do not help any.
@rocketj1 (6960)
What is the commercial? Are you sure it's not for coverage between those ages? For testing supplies and such?
@suspenseful (40314)
It is something to do with testing a certain new medicine, I think it was in American television and asked for volunteers between the ages of 18 and 75. I was a bit worried because it might have been they took the high end when diabetics live to be 76, and that there would not be that many - for instance, maybe ten that they could get volunteers, rather then maybe 60 where there are 1000 to choose from.
i think that if you eat right, take your meds like you are percribed, and exercise, you can live a long and healthy life even with having type 2 diabetes. my grandmother has it and she takes good care of herself. she doesn't have to take a lot of meds and she has no problems at all with it,
@KrauseHome (36748)
Well, my husband works in a Retirement Home and there are a lot of Diabetics there, and I am sure the majority of them are Type 2 that are in their 80s and older. I am sure that the reason for these Studies it going up to 75, is that might be about the oldest they feel safe in allowing someone to do that study without having people unable to monitor for them what is really going on. Since most of these studies make you stop all medications or a lot of the medications you are already taking it could be dangerous for a lot of people as well.
@mommaj (22872)
If you want a long life just take care of yourself. My family has it too and most of them were just on the pills not the insulin shots. If you manage your diabetes you can die from old age or cancer whichever gets you first. Don't worry about the diabetes. People don't die from the diabetes they die from not taking care of the diabetes or other complications. Since you just found out you have it, you may live longer than 90 with it. You probably aren't on shots either if you just found out. You should be fine.
@sukumar794 (5047)
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
Living with diabetes is easy if you exercise a regimen on eating habits and regular exercises.Diabetes in itself is not a disease, but it can be a cause for various other illnesses including kidney failure,neuropathy and retinopathy. A diabetic could very well prolong his life span with a strict adherence to the chosen schedule plus proper medications.
Type 2 Diabetes can pass age 75.. as long as you take care of your body and follow all medications.. but its gonna be hard because you can't eat all the foods you want to be healthy because of the diabetes but with self-control i know type 2 Diabetes patients can survive pass 75..
I do not think you can put that kind of an average on it. The study protocol is probably just deemed to be more accurate for that age range, because 18 is when you are old enough to consent, and after 75 other complications of age may affect treatment.
@Barbietre (1439)
I know people who got Type 2 in their 30's, went totatlly low carb and within a few years were completely off ANY medication, and lived long normal lives.
@dragon54u (31644)
From what I have heard, people with type 2 live good long lives as long as they take care of themselves and follow their doctors' advice. I hope that is the case with you!
@forslahiri (1042)
hi, even a type2 diabetic,will not die of Diabetes. They will die out of complications of Diabetes(e.g-Heart,kidney etc). 70% die out of Heart complications, around 20-30% other complications. Yes, in totality Life Expectancy for a diabetic is reduced compared to normal individual. =Lahiri,Kolkata,india.