How Do You Cook Your Turkey And Share Other Family Thanksgiving Traditions?

@gtargirl (5385)
Every Thanksgiving my turkey swims (I mean roasts) comfortably in a pan filled with one can of beer (or so), lots of butter, a few cubes of chicken bouillon, and green onions. I'm one who continually has to baste that bird. call it tradition or a fear of producing a dry turkey. I make two each year, one for our family, and one for church. The one for church will feed over 25 people. Others will bring more food. Our family tradition?? We watch a lot of football, eat way too much even before the Thanksgiving meal, and the kids will go bowling afterward. How do you cook your turkey? Have you ever deep-fried one?? And share some of your Thanksgiving memories with us.
Well, my husband and I are vegans, so we actually get a Tofurky. Haha. But since we are the only vegans in both of our families, Thanksgiving is a holiday we spend together, just the two of us, and a holiday we truly enjoy. I look forward to the Tofurky every year, but it's also an excuse to make a huge meal. We usually baste the Tofurky in a brown sugar and I believe Tamari sauce mix, and surround the Tofurky with veggies before it goes in the oven. We also make a ridiculously large bowl of extra-vegan-butter mashed potatoes, and I usually make a vegan pumpkin pie (although one year I made a vegan cheesecake). I also make a whole bunch of buttery brussel sprouts, and sometimes we make dinner rolls. Our tradition is really simple. We just eat the meal and cuddle together. Sometimes we'll drink hot chocolate or coffee, and sometimes we'll bring out board games. Usually while we eat we talk about things we're thankful for. Thanksgiving really gives you a reason to stop and think about it.
@cher913 (25865)
hi, we just had our thanksgiving celebrations here in canada and my sister in law usually does the turkey because we all converge on her house (we have a large family on hubbys side of the family) we just bring everything else. as for my own family, my mom came to our house on monday and we had roast beef. i would love to try deep fried turkey. not too many people do that up here.
@Lakota12 (42681)
No one in my family even liked turkey till I smoked one one year now thats what they want. But if things go the way I hope I will be in Tenn. this year for thanksgiving with my youngest son and his wife.
@gtargirl (5385)
Smoked turkey. Love it! Hope you get to spend Thanksgiving with your son and his family, Lakota.
@Lakota12 (42681)
mne too as plane tickets are going up every day. I might not get to go till spring so I just wait and see
@happy6162 (3009)
I go to my son house for Thanksgiving dinner so either he or his wife cook the turkey. I just bring a few things to go along with the dinner. He has a cooker oven and they use it to cook the turkey I do not know what all they put on it but it does taste good.
I've never cooked my own turkey for Thanksgiving. Instead, when I was a child our entire extended family went to the Holiday Inn's Thanksgiving buffet and then one or two of my aunts or uncles would get hotel rooms and then we would play in the pool and play area for the rest of the day. Since I've been with my husband, his mother does the Thanksgiving cooking, so we just converge upon her house. She makes everything from boxes and I'm not exactly fond of that, but I don't have to clean up my house and spend days on end cooking, so it really does make for a positive holiday.
@leahsmom (338)
My family loves fried turkey and I can't bake one to save my life. our family tradition is to go from house to house visiting, eating, and watching movies.
Hello my friend gtargirl Ji, Well, as an Idian we do not celebrate this. But II remember,while in US, in 2003, we enjoyed and prepared llot many Indian Vegetarien dishes as we prepare during our Festivals like Holi and Dewali time. Some of friend of our Son viisted our home and they were very mucheplaesed to share the taste of those delicious sweets. May god bless You and have a great time.
@stephcjh (32327)
I am the one who cooks our turkey every Thanksgiving also and I also do all of the side items too. I really enjoy it once a year. We usually eat early in the morning though since we work nights and my husband likes to deer hunt. I rub mine down with alot of butter also and bake it in the oven.
I am fairly new to Thanksgiving as I am from England, but moved to America five years ago (my husband is from Rhode Island) so I am reading everyone's traditions with interest, as I don't have any! Of course I have heard the sorts of things my husband grew up with here - like many people, turkey and football! He loves pecan pie, and I don't like pumpkin, so its pecan all the way for us, I have learned to make it myself. He is not a huge football fan, and I do not understand it at all despite having it explained...lol....(soccer I DO understand!).. so that tends to go by the wayside too!The first year I was here, someone from our church invited us over, so that was my first traditional thanksgiving, and as they were southerners, also my first experience of that whole sweet potato with marshmallow thing.....I tried it, and was polite, and all that, but privately thought, why would you do that to a sweet potato? WHY? (I think much the same about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!) The next year, I believe I cheated and bought a ready cooked turkey!But since then, I have bravely ventured into Cooking my Own Turkey and I think I am getting the hang of it now!
If I cook turkey, it is in a browning bag--no basting. My brother cooks several, for the church and home and community. He uses an electric roaster. We have certain things we have to bring. Like I have to make the whole cranberry sauce, like mom did. My niece has to bring broccoli rice and cheese casserole. We usually have about a dessert a piece. Cakes, pies, cookies, etc. We play family games. Sometimes have some squirrel based foolishness (don't ask, I might have to make a discussion.)
My husband and I prefer to spend Thanksgiving alone (both the Canadian one and the American one) and this year we chose to go out for dinner. We found a local restaurant that was making up a nice big turkey dinner with all the fixings, and we went there. We had dinner, drinks, pumpkin pie, it was great!