Do you have an Outdoor Fireplace?

Outdoor fireplace - This is our outdoor fireplace
@jennybianca (12913)
Australia
We have always loved having a fire outdoors. I think it stems from the outback bush fire idea, which of course is banned in cities now. So we purchased this metal type triangular fire place. It is quite large. The door is at the front which can be opened to put in wood, coals or even pine cones. It is quite easy to use and set up and can produce a large fire. We love to sit around in winter. Sometimes we roast potatoes in it, or have roasted marshmellows. Do you have any kind of outdoor fire? Doi you cook food in it, or just sit aroiund and enjoy the warmth?
@gtargirl (5385)
Oh, I've always wanted an outdoor fireplace!! Maybe next summer we'll finally get one. So take a few pictures of it while you're roasting marshmallows. Do Aussies enjoy 'Smores?????
@jennybianca (12913)
What are smores???
@jennybianca (12913)
That sounds soooo yummy... but fattening!
@cerebellum (3870)
I have always loved any kind of fireplace. I don't have one right now, but a friend of mine has one of the outdoor type and her family loves it. It reminds me of being in the Girl Scouts (an orginataion in the US for young girls among the things they do is go on camping trips) I remember sitting around the campfire roasting marshmellows, telling stories and singing songs. I love to just look at the flames and bask in the warmth of the fire.
@jennybianca (12913)
Yes thats a good comparison. In my child hood days various clubs would often have an outdoor fire. Mostly the completely open fiores are banned now, but fires in an enclosure like I have are allowed.
Some areas here an outdoor fire is banned and then 2 miles down the road it's allowed. That doesn't make sense to me. I know they don't want the smoke in the air, but it can travel into the next county where it's not allowed. They do the same things with car inspections, some counties you need to get the exhaust tested and in the next county you don't need it.
@free_man (7335)
Hi Jenny. We have been talking about building an out door fire place so we can do a lot of cooking outside. We have a grill now but we want to build one out of rocks. We collect rocks for our drive way and the paths through our yard. So we have been collecting rocks to build our fire place out side.
@jennybianca (12913)
A rock fireplace would be fantastic; very authentic. There are some great meals one can cook on outdoor fireplaces.
@free_man (7335)
We cook out all through the year. Don't matter if it is summer or winter. Just seems to taste better to be cooked on an open flame.
@SHAMRACK (8521)
Dear friend, We do not have any place specifically for outdoor fireplace. But we do have gathering at outdoor fireplace near to our home that is near to beaches. Also when I be to my fathers village we do have fire gathering it is something really nice to enjoy that fire with those woods and leafs we usually make fire with.
@jennybianca (12913)
Fire gastherings are a great way for people to mix and relax. Beaches are great for outdoor fires.
@cream97 (29164)
Hi, jennybianca. No, I don't have an outdoor fireplace. I did not know that an fireplace could go on the outside. I used to live with my in-laws a few years back and they had a wooden heater stove that they used to heat up with wood. My father-in-law would go out the door and cut the wood all up then. I used to get so tired of this. I think that having an outdoor fireplace for the winter is fun for camping purposes. I have Central Heating and Air in my apartment.
@jennybianca (12913)
Yes,some Australians are now finding outdoor fireplaces very popular. Some are basic, others are very advanced. Yes, outdoor fires for campng are great fun, although moist places here ban them now due to the fire risk.
@ronnyb (6117)
• Jamaica
I dont have one now but my grandmother did and used it to prepare many wonderfull and tasty meats.I guess with stoves now many persons dont bother to have outside fireplaces anymore
@jennybianca (12913)
That is very true. Those of us who still have outdoor fireplaces just use it for relaxation and warmth.
i also like the feeling of sit around the fireplace and talk and eating with the family and friends. in my parent's house they still can have the fireplace in winter but here is in large city and no fireplace can be had since we even can't buy the woods or coals easily.
@jennybianca (12913)
Yes, we can buy wood and coals, but it is expensive. I try to pick up free bits lying around.
@thea09 (18316)
• Greece
Hi jenny, I haven't but the very old houses used to have outside bread ovens, nothing at all like the modern looking one you have. I suppose they originated as it would have been too hot indoors to have one lit in the summer. Quite often you can see the old style ones built into the walls around the houses leading off from the kitchens.
@jennybianca (12913)
I was sure I had responded to this the other day....disappearing discussions again. My grandmother, when she was alive, had the traditional wood oven in her house. As she was born in 1899, that was quite old.
We built a bricked fire pit last June. We have lots of wood we need to burn from taking down some small trees. We have not cooked anything in it so far, but we love to have time to sit and look at the fire and swing on the yard swing.
@jennybianca (12913)
WoW! A bricked fire pit would be fantastic; very solid and durable.
@squaretile (3833)
hi! I don't have an outdoor fireplace, or any fireplace. that's cos we live in tropical clime, and temperatures never drop below a balmy 25 degrees. It sounds real nice, the fireplace you've got. Sometimes we have a campfire or barbeque, but that's just a small fire....
@jennybianca (12913)
I can imagine that a tropical location would have no need for a fireplace of any kind. Our summers are extremely hot, but our winters can be cold, hence a fireplace is great.
@stephcjh (32327)
We do not have an outdooor fireplace. We do have one indoors though. We do not burn wood in it, but we have an electric insert in it that looks very real and it does put out heat too.
@jennybianca (12913)
Ive seen those. Do they cost a lot to buy? Are they economical to run?
hi jennybianca no we always talked about getting an outdoors fireplace but finally we had to sell our house and ended up living in apartments. the last apartment did have an indoor 'fireplace but we were evicted and now I am here in this retirement home and my son is in gov.sponsored housing while he' still hunts for a job. but I love fire places indoors or out. so much fun outside.
@jennybianca (12913)
An indoor fireplace has always appealed to me too, but they are quite expensive,