Really really old discussions

@savak03 (6693)
Have you ever noticed the list of similar discussions off to the right of the page when you are commenting on another discussion? If you have noticed them have you ever clicked on one that looked interesting? I do that every now and then and sometimes get into some real good conversations that way. This morning however I clicked on one and found it was three years old. I scrolled through it to see if I recognized any of the participants but sadly I did not. Made me wonder if any of them were still around. Anyway it was a neat discussion and I will probably come back to it later when I have more time and try to revive it with a comment. It will be interesting to see how many of you do that as well.
@ElicBxn (61069)
I have seen those and if the person who started it is still active, I will respond, but most of the time they aren't. When a discussion is 3 yrs old and they only have like 100-1000 on their number, I'll just pass it by - sure, I might get it active again, but not really with the person who started it.
@savak03 (6693)
It hadn't occurred to me to relate the post number to how long they had been here. You are right though. If someone had been here for three years and had been active their number should look more like yours.
@ElicBxn (61069)
Yep, or even higher if they have more time, but even if they don't, they should still have a few more thousand than that!
@kiran8 (15323)
• Mangalore, India
Hi savak, I do that most of the time. I like to know what other discussions have been there on mylot about the same or similar topic. I have also takemn part in some of them.In fact I do it often, saves me the trouble of browsing through so many pages of new discussions.I have found most of these discussions interesting ...All the best and have a great weekend
@savak03 (6693)
I too find them interesting. Of course that may have something to do with the fact that I was interested in the topic to begin with.
@kiran8 (15323)
• Mangalore, India
Yes that is possible and is true.One automatically looks for those topics one is interested in to begin with, and so find it more interesting ..
@mysdianait (65079)
I respond to anything and everything if it catches my attention and I often respond to a discussion from that list. When they are old discussions the user is usually thrilled to see it moving again and once it becomes active again and gets visible in the list, it could receive many more responses. Some months back I responded on a very old one and this caused the user to return and become active again! p.s. this is tagged now and you have a list on the right too
@savak03 (6693)
I know, you and I have worked some of that magic for each other. I could have sworn I responded to your comment days ago but in checking today I see there is no comment posted. Maybe I dreamed that I had responded.
Diana madam this is my habit also if I catch any discussion no matter old or new respond on it. Mostly I check similar discussions list and I got 3 years and more years old discussion open and respond on it. I notice when I respond on old discussion or comment on my old discussion it is display on first page and get more responses. savak your profile photo is very nice like you are suffering from electric current.
If I see a discussion anywhere that I like, I do respond to it. It is just how I am. I have responded to some that say they are four years old. It was very interesting to me that this spring several people were hitting some of my older ones. I know how it started, with just one person, but once it came back up to the surface others kept it there. That was nice, and also strange for me, because I have changed a lot over the years. I remember posting a post about NOT accepting newbies, or always checking profiles, now I just accept people, and if they disappoint me, then I delete them. Things change. I think all of my "no reponses" got taken care of in an exchange early on with some other friends. As I have been here longer even my bad discussions get responses.Thanks to my friends. I also try never to leave a friend unresponded, as the discussion does not earn until it has its first response.
@savak03 (6693)
Yes, and I am sure that many, including myself are grateful for your rescue. I just hate it when a discussion sits with no comments. Mine or my friends. I will always comment on a friend's that has been neglected when I see it.
@hexeduser22 (6703)
I usually do that and oftentimes I ran into a three to four year old discussions. I put a response in that discussion and I do note the time when it was started in my response. I start my response like "Since this discussion was started four years ago.. so on and so forth". This is my way to encourage people to keep an interesting "old" discussion alive. One time I ran into an old discussion in the no responses tab...
@savak03 (6693)
I think we all have a discussion now and then that no one seems to be interested in so it ends up in the no response tab. We just have to move on though. I hope you dropped a comment on that one to get it out of limbo.
@suzzy3 (8352)
I have done that and have answered discussions which are two years old,I expect that person gets a real surprise getting a comment so long after the discussion has waited so long.
@savak03 (6693)
I'll bet they are surprised. Hopefully, when I have been here that long someone may run across and old discussion of mind and get it restarted.
@ronnyb (6117)
• Jamaica
Yes I do that many times in fact when I am strapped for discussion I normally go to a discussion and look for similar posts because it usually means that I should be able to answer such discussion as well.I dont think I have met a three year old discussion but I have met discussions that were two years old
@savak03 (6693)
That's a good idea. Sometimes we are scrambling for discussions to respond to and that would be a good source.
hi savak03 I do that too once in a while and have had several that were really so interesting but did wonder after three years if any of the users were still here. Then again I unfortunately commented on one where the user was very much here and had a caustic tongue, now sarcasm I can deal with as one of our dear users is great with it, but this was just plain meanness. I did something I seldom do, I hit the exclamation mark and reported this person's mean response. I have revived several with users now gone whom I hoped might one day return here, and one who was from Scotland and whom I really enjoyed so much.
@savak03 (6693)
I can't imagine why anyone would respond in a mean way to someone who found some worth in a discussion they had posted so long ago. That's just rude. I do enjoy meeting some of the people who have been around here a long time. Most of the time they are very interesting people. I would have said all of the time except for the experience you just related. You know of all the different countries that my friends here are from I don't think I know anyone from Scotland.
@sweet_pea (3323)
I also do that responding to similar discussions at the right side of the screen, even it they are 5 years old discussions. It doesn't matter how old it is as long as they interest me. At first I was hesitant because answering to old discussions seems to be walking to an empty room. Everyone had participated and there is no one there anymore. But based on feedback by the veterans here about responding to old discussions, I learned that no discussion would be too old to participate. And so I started participating to old discussions. What is nice is some of the discussion starters still comment back to their responses. To me that is so cool!