Styles that you absolutely hate and are glad or will be glad when gone.

@writersedge (22577)
Short shirts, I have a really long torso and those short shirts, some of them didn't even adequately cover my breasts! The size said my size, but when I grabbed them and tried them on (thinking maybe they were some kind of weird spandex stretch to fit like my mini gloves), I had not much coverage to my body. At one point, no store at the mall had long shirts, all short ones. So I bought zero shirts new that year. I went to the second hand stores and bought all my shirts there for a while. Didn't even bother with shirts in stores because I knew until that fashion was over, there would be no shirts for me. The low risers came along. Hip huggers revisited with even less. I didn't think that would be a problem since jeans and pants also still came in regular sizes. I went to buy suits, for the job I had at the time. Who would have thought? Low-risers in suits. The entire suits were on hangers and when I took the jackets off, I put them back. I would never be able to take off my jacket. Some suits even had short shirts and low-riser pants. So what styles are you glad are gone or will you be glad are gone? What do you do when you can't seem to find any decent clothing? That's when I wish I could sew my own clothing.
@carmelanirel (20979)
I don't know if this it really a "style" but I hate low cut shirts. Because of my size, wearing something like that makes me look like I am showing off when I'd rather not. But these are really cute shirts, so what I do, (and you might be able to do with the short shirts) is to wear a long sleeveless t-shirt (light in material so you don't feel like you are wearing a ton of clothing) underneath. This not only covers my upper, but my lower body where I need it, and I can still wear the shirt I like..;)
@writersedge (22577)
If I can find a shirt that's long enough, I don't need another shirt. Works in winter, fall, and spring to layer, but not for summer when the dreaded too small shirts come in. But for 3 seasons of the year, your idea works, so it's a good idea for most of the time, thanks.
I found two very light shirts, (can't remember the material, but light enough it would work in the summer months,) They are sleeveless, and long, and covers my top part too. I found them at a thrift store, one in red and one in white, colors that go with about anything. What is good is these shirts don't have to fit perfectly since they go under my main shirt. They can be a size bigger or smaller because the only part that is seem is the bottom and top. So maybe look for a long shirt a size bigger, it may cover you better..:)
@writersedge (22577)
You like these shirts with another shirt on, but I don't like them at all. With arthritis, I need even coverage and unlike you, I don't care if they're cute.
@Maggiepie (7816)
No contest--those droopy drawers. Yuk! So slobby-looking! Even worse, droopy shorts that cut one off at the knees, & are so baggy they look like skirts, over which ugly, droopy tee-shirts hang. Unattractive, not stylish, un-sexy--why do guys think they look so darned cool in those things? What kind of girl finds that attractive?! And if you add the kind guys wear so that their tidy whities stick out over the top? Ugh!! I cannot wait until people come to their senses. It's as if these garments were designed to make one look as repulsive as possible! In the meantime, I get my revenge on these slobs by going up to them & gushing over them for being so accepting of their feminine side--brave enough to wear a skirt in public, yet be secure in their masculinity! I recommend this as a cure for stupid droopy shorts, especially! Maggiepie "It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn." ~ Robert Southey, poet (1774-1843)
@writersedge (22577)
There are places where that "style" is fined. Others where they won lawsuits for "freedom of expression." I worked in a prison and for a while, they were writing up people right and left for it. I agree, it's horrible! Makes no one look good. Be careful you don't run into a real "gang banger". Hopefully people will stop thinking that is cool and do something else. But it's gone on an awfully long time. Thanks and take care.
@Maggiepie (7816)
Yes. For far too long a "long time," by my lights! I know no "gang bangers," personally (thank God!), nor do I wish to know any, given the mindset that entails. (S h u d d e r!) Let's just pray something new (& better!) comes along & catches people's fancy, so that the baggy slob look will be forgotten! Maggiepie "It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn." ~ Robert Southey, poet (1774-1843)
@writersedge (22577)
Yes, let's hope that actually wearing clothes comes back into style. Then I don't have to tell my husband, "I like the __________, s/he's almost wearing."
@ElicBxn (61063)
Back in the mid-1960's a style dress came along where the "waist" was down around the hips (no doubt looked GREAT on you.) I, on the other hand, have a VERY short back (short shirts would cause me NO problem) and instead of hitting at my hips, they were down around my THIGHS! We are talking someone who is so short that even some petites are a bit long - except pants, I have long legs...
@writersedge (22577)
If it's one style of many to choose from, it's not bad. But if there's only one style available in the stores and it doesn't go with your body type, it's horrible! My Mom bought me a shirt dress. That wasn't bad until I grew and she didn't notice. I had a mini shirt dress! Must be nice to have long legs, I have short ones. I buy regular or long waisted shirts (depends on the measurements and how they run) and petite pants. So you and I are built the reverse of each other. I really think they need to have more than one style of each thing. We're NOT all built the same. It makes it so some years, you can't buy some things unless you go to second hand stores. Thanks and take care.
@ElicBxn (61063)
oh, there's been tons of things I've hated, but that one looked absolutely horrible on me, and most folks I thought, and I see it coming back - trust me, I don't buy dresses because they fit me so badly - well, I don't like dresses anyway... but...
@writersedge (22577)
Because of my middle aged belly that style won't look good on me this time out.
How about those little short jackets. The ones that just hit you under your boobs. I saw the prettier Kardashian sister wearing a fluff of furr and that was what it was. One of those short jackets. Like it is only half there. Ugh! Most things now days are just too short. And then the arms are way too long! What is up with that??!!
@writersedge (22577)
What's-a-matter Celtic Eagle, aren't you a flat-chest octopus! Just kidding. Those would have been perfict for me the year before I hit puberty. I tried on tons of clothing. Too much chest and not enough arms. But by the next year, I would have hated them. I grew a chest and my arms weren't too long. Yes, I've seen those. I really would like some of them if they were in a more "normal" style, not for someone whose frame grew a year before they "bloomed". It's why they should have more than one style for more than one body type out there. I see beautiful leather coats in only one style and limited sizes every year for spring and fall. It's usually whatever body type I'm not. Thanks and take care.
I think that may be the problem.If they did make more than one style for more than one body type out there then they wouldn't make big bunks. Now we can't have that can we?
@writersedge (22577)
Seems like they'd make more bucks if they had more styles for more people. I still like the flat-chested octopus visual. Maybe we should send them pictures of them wearing their jackets. Maybe they'd get the idea.
Understandable that some dislike the sorter shirts and low rise pants. I must admit I do, but not for the office and or professional environments by no means. Hum, I am a clothing fanatic and have an entire room like a walk in closet one of my charity gigs, I have done for years has given me perks for free clothing, shoes and accessories for years to come. I remember as a kid being dressed in polyester which at the time from the teasers was told was already outdated. So my friend once I was able to buy my own clothes as a teen out with the Polly's and in with the styles. When I can't seem to find something I like and or descent, search high and low, get frustrated until I do. I use to sew for my kids but must admit I have not for me.
@writersedge (22577)
Polyester is actually quite dangerous for some of us. I had some polyster pants that gave me yeast infections. Couldn't get rid of it until I threw those pants out that my Mom gave me. All I had was polys for a while, too. Short shirts and low rise pants only look good on a very few people. You're probably one of them, but for all the stores to have only one kind of shirt and when I couldn't find pants for suits, that was nuts. I would be happy with the same clothes all the time. 7 outfits for 7 days of the week would be fine with me. People see me wear the same clothes all the time and give me more clothes. Unless I gain or loose weight from the clothes I have, I really don't need more clothes. One load for the week would be great. That's what my husband does and it would greatly/grately (which?) reduce the laundry and electric bill. All these clothes I have now just get dusty from lack of wear, I'm in the process of washing them and giving them away. But much of that stuff is from temp services. Every job required different clothing. Never could make money because I had to keep buying new clothing for a week or two of clothes.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
greatly
Interesting about the Polyester and glad I was able to buy my own when I was 13. I had to lie about my age and tell Burger King I was older so that I could get hired. I will be on the look out for anyone close to me who perhaps does wear them and are not aware.
@JenInTN (27547)
This is one thing that really aggravates me when I am shopping for my girls! The style that really burns me a new one are the blue jean shorts that look like a pair of boy cut panties!!!! I was just at the mall yesturday and I thought I might pick up my girls a couple of things for summer and there was not one pair of shorts that weren't made like that! Do these places not realize that every little girl is not going to be allowed to go out in public and show her a$$? If I have to, I will just cut off some old jeans and jogging pants and ask my neighbor if I can pay her to hem them if I can't find the time. I just can't imagine my girls in public wearing blue jean panties!
@writersedge (22577)
I haven't seen these yet, but they sound abhorrid! Yes, a person can make their own cut-offs. Glad you're taking a stand. I think we need to send a message when it comes to children's clothing. I've seen some stuff that belongs on hookers and not on children on sale. I would be afraid to send a child to pick her own clothes now. People used to let their children pick, but now you have to sensor their choices of clothing, how horrible!
@JenInTN (27547)
This is really bad..I am pretty easy when it comes to style but the shorts..my goodness! Noway! No how! The probelem rests in the fact if I give them some money and told them to buy some summer clothes...they would have no choice unless they left empty handed. I looked all over that mall! Capris was the best I could come up with and those are springy...summery was boycut denim panties! Thanks for the best response...I think I might learn to sew at this point..lol.
@writersedge (22577)
Yes, I think if I had been a parent I would have had to learn to sew in self and child-defense. Thanks and you're welcome. Take care.
I never follow trends but go for that which suits me and makes me comfortable and in the process if that which I like is also trendy I do feel happy about it.
@writersedge (22577)
Yes, makes more sense to wear what suits you best. Sometimes there has been nothing for me to buy in regular stores.
Some times I create my own style and some trend setters think on the same lines that I do and my creation becomes the 'in' thing. I remember I had started wearing a scarf and there I saw it becoming a fashion!
@writersedge (22577)
I love scarves. Also any pieces of cloth to play with draping and making into different things.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
Never liked the low-risers either. I do like blazers but want them to hit me at the lower hip and I just can't find any that long right now. I didn't like the bell bottom pants/jeans way back in the 70's and don't like them now. Hopefully there are still regular cut jeans on the shelves. I prefer my shirts to be 3/4 or full length sleeved and wouldn't wear a sleeveless if they were the only thing on the market. Shoes...I like good shoes. I remember when I was in high school that the penny loafers and saddle oxfords were the most popular and I rotated wearing them. Had a pair of Bass Weejuns that I'd sell a husband for today. Can't find any of them anymore. I do like some of the 'tennis shoes' of today but they go by a different name; Keds, LLBean, Converse, etc. Styles do change and I think that is mostly due to the economic climate with designers wanting to increase their bottom line. So the people follow like sheep and are uncomfortable in what is called 'the style'. I just hang on to what I like and wait til the 'style' changes to what I want.
I absolutely loved the bell bottoms and the loafers too. They were so comfortable. Unlike the clothes today.
@writersedge (22577)
I wore the same clothes for 10 years, but then I gained weight. Not enough padding in the penny loafers, those sent me to a podiatrist, so I have to wear shoes with tons of padding. Commercials and people say you can add inserts and orthodics, they must have flat feet, I had high arches and a huge instep plus a wide foot, so there is no room. Wish I could make my own shoes, too. Saddle shoes, those seemed to be strong enough if I could get them wide enough. I had to mail order all my shoes as a teen and when I first became an adult. Bell bottoms, don't care either way. Not very handy getting in and out of trucks, riding bicycles, getting off tractors. That extra material tends to get caught in some things like machines. Definitely not farming attire. They're not really practical for some activities. That's the problem with most stylish clothes, they're not practical. Short shirts up here, you can wear them 1 month a year and get burned for your trouble. Other than July, even if I liked them, they're not really practical.
@keshia2007r (2884)
I'm not that much a fan of guys wearing skinny jeans. Well as long as its not too skinny. I'm also not a fan or older adults not dressing their ages (no disrespect). I'm also not a fan of jeans stucked into your socks (this was a fad, but this discovery is now changing). So these are the things that I dislike. Btw, interesting topic!
@writersedge (22577)
I have no problem dressing my age, I have a problem finding stuff for people my age. Everything in our malls is for people 10 to 25 years old and some suits that people in their 30s might be able to wear. Only one store is for older people and you have to be overwait to buy clothes there. Right now I am, but what if I loose weight?
@peavey (16911)
I hate the low risers. I am long waisted and the low risers are uncomfortable no matter what I do. I'm reduced to mail ordering "old women's jeans" with waists at the waist. Like you, I bought my shirts second hand, but I have done that for years. There are so many more styles and colors to choose from at thrift store that I can usually find what I really like, rather than what I dislike the least.
@writersedge (22577)
Yes, these all or nothing styles are crazy. Esp. when they decide on 3 colors every year and sometimes it's peptobismo pink, some kind of pea soup green, and pale yellow or even canary yellow. Our Salvation Army usually has some jeans or pants that aren't crazy, but sometimes none in my size. Thanks and take care.