Bi-centenial of the birth of Queen Victoria.

Queen Victoria
@garymarsh6 (17742)
United Kingdom
This month on May 24th will mark 200 years anniversary of the bith of Queen Victoria. She was until recently the United Kingdoms longest reigning monarch which was quite a feat for someone to live to in the 18'00's. This has now been taken over by Queen Elizabeth who is Queen Victorias great great grand daughter. Queen Victoria was born in Kensington Palace and christened Alexandrina Victoria almost immediately on the same day. She lived with her over bearing mother the Dowager Duchess of Kent. It was only by a fluke of nature that Queen Victoria became Queen because her uncles only ligitmate daughter died following childbirth. There were a lot of illigitimate children born at that time some died and some were not eligible for inheriting the throne. The King knew that the Duchess of Kent and Sir John Conroy would force their own beliefs on Victoria if he died before VIctoria reached the age of 18 and despite his ill health he held on to life to make sure that he saw her come of age. The Duchess of Kent and Sir John Conroy were very controlling and controlled everything Victoria did. Victoria even shared the same bedroom with the Duchess. She was not allowed to play with children other than those approved by the Duchess and had her own tutors who prevented her mixing with others. She had a dog called dash and she made her own dolls which she made their clothes and used to confide in them. She described her early life as melancholic. King William died at 02:12 on 20th of June. Victoria was woken by her mother at 06:00 and went to speak to the Archbishop of Canterbury and Lord Conyngham in her dressing room who informed her that she was now Queen. Following signing papers later that day she was to be known as Queen VIctoria and never used the name Alexandrina again! She never slept in the same room again as her mother and when they moved to Buckingham palace the Duchess was given rooms right at the other end of the palace. She would have to send a note to the Queen asking her to see her. Often Victoria would reply. Busy. Most people think of Queen VIctoria as the ugly old fat woman but infact when she was young she was indeed very pretty! I will write a few posts about Queen Victoria over the coming days! The photo is of Victoria in her Coronation Ceremonial robes. Do you not agree she looks quite pretty!
@Gillygirl (30233)
• Sutton, England
Apparently, she was pretty when she was young and not the glutton she became. There are some interesting TV programs on about her this week. She did feel guilty about exiling her mother to Frogmore House eventually. She found out her mother had recorded some of her childhood.
@Gillygirl (30233)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 Yes they were desperate to take the throne. Victoria and Albert were a progressive couple.
Very good info. I love the Royal Family. i hope i see your future posts on her
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Thank you I hope you will enjoy them. This year there will be special exhibitions about her life at Kensington Palace and Buckingham palace when they open up the state rooms to the public. I saw her little coronet during the Queens Diamond jubiliee. It is quite tiny.
@garymarsh6 are you near enough to Kensington Palace and Buckingham Palace to see any of this great stuff? i would love to see even just the Palaces anytime, no special year.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
@Marty1 Yes not too far. I will probably go to Buckingham Palace to see the exhibition but I always feel somewhat disappointed in KP. I prefer BP because at a minimum you are in there for at least 2 hours and never feels too crowded. I think I have probably been five times so far.
That’s one of the best photos I’ve seen of her, and it’s remarkable that she reigned that long. My hubs and I both love visiting England and reading about English history, Great post, Gary!
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Thank you DianneN. I will look forward to the exhibition at Buckingham palace in the summer!
@garymarsh6 Sounds awesome!
She was a fascinating character and she looks pretty in this photo. I did not know that her first name was Alexandrina.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Yes and the day she became Queen she declared that she should be known as Victoria.
@garymarsh6 It is an important name and a symbol for a country.
@JESSY3236 (9387)
She was pretty. I used to watch the PBS show about Queen Victoria.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
There is another series just finished about her. There will be quite afew programmes around about her over the next few weeks!
Plenty of movies and TV shows about her.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Absolutely Judy Dench played her marvellously!
@whiteream (5998)
She was a most interesting Queen. I look forward to reading your other posts on her.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Thank you. She was indeed quite fascinating.
She was a beauty. I've enjoyed watching the BBC series about her and I became curious and looked her up online which is where I saw several paintings of her in her youth.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
She did quite a few self portraits. So you see Selfies are not a new phenomena!
now how many would she have had with our digital cameras @garymarsh6
@garymarsh6 (17742)
@rebelann I will tell you about a funny things in my next article, well I think it is funny.
@dya80dya (15368)
She was pretty. I like Royal Family.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
I believe Romania had their own Royal family. I think they are in exile still?
@dya80dya (15368)
@garymarsh6 Yes, we had our own Royal family. I think they are not in exile now.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
@dya80dya Good hopefully it will bring smething special back to Romania.
Yes, she was pretty and what a gorgeous outfit.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Yes it was made for her wedding. She designed it herself and had the design destroyed. She changed the fashion for people to get married in white so she was a very early trend setter!
@garymarsh6 i was married in a pink and black dress.
I always did think she was beautiful. She had a bad start to life with her overbearing parents. I would have been 'busy' too.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Hahaha I like your response!
@garymarsh6 Thank you. There are some people I don't tolerate well. Overbearing people rate at or near the top.
Queen Victoria was responsible for giving poor Irish immigrants 50-acre land grants here in Canada, which 2 of my ancestors applied for and were granted. We still work that land today, which was received in 1834. The Queen's photo is in our family history book, out of respect for her kindness. Here, in Canada, we celebrate Victoria Day, which is next Monday. People have the day off from work, with pay, and it is the unofficial start of summer, people enjoy barbeques and fireworks.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Much of what was going on in Ireland with the famine was kept from her by politicians. When she found out about it she was furious and actually visited Ireland to try and make up for what the government at the time kept from her.
@garymarsh6 She also still lead Canada, and that was how she was able to offer those free land grants. Of course "free" meant relocating to an area that was not settled as of yet. There were no roads, no cities, nothing. My family cleared their land and ran a saw mill and farmed the land.
@GreatMartin (8807)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I wonder every year if Charles will ever get to sit on throne?!?!?
@Sojourn (5271)
In India I think we have a Victoria Memorial Hall under her name.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Yes there are many memorials to Queen Victoria in India. She was Empress of India back in the day!
@thelme55 (18067)
I find her pretty as a young girl. I have read a book that I have bought in Londons charity shop about Queen Victoria. That was the start of reading other historical books about the royalties of Great Britain. She was a very interesting monarch.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
She certainly is very interesting!
@simone10 (29594)
That is indeed a pretty painting of her, not like the ones I've seen when she was older.
@garymarsh6 (17742)
Very true. She was a very pretty young woman but most people think of her as the miserable old widow dipicted in black and white mourning clothes.
@simone10 (29594)
@garymarsh6 yes, I can see how they would see her that way.
She looks really pretty.
@Fleura (9691)
In her young days she looks almost exactly like a friend of mine from university, except her eyes look a little more hooded!