Poison Ivy

Just thinking of it makes me itchy, but as often as I accidentally touched it pulling weeds, I never got a rash. Well, perhaps one tiny blister, but even then I’m not certain it was from poison ivy. Our younger son just had a third of an acre cleared of dead ash trees, vines, and of course, loads of poison ivy. He is highly allergic to poison ivy, so I’m happy it’s gone. Doodles the cat even turns away from it when he hears the reminder, “No big bad poison ivy!” At least he can roam freely there until we return to Connecticut in a mere two weeks!!! I’m so excited! Are you allergic to anything? I’m allergic to any medication with CIPRO in it.
• Walnut Creek, California
Here in California, we have poison oak. I believe the toxin is the same as in poison ivy. I DO get a reaction to it--an itchy spot that lasts about two weeks. The real danger is if someone burns poison oak. If you breathe the smoke, you can wind up with the toxin in your lungs.
I’ve heard of poison oak. Breathing in the toxins must do a number on one’s lungs.
• Walnut Creek, California
@DianneN I think it can actually kill a person.
@TheHorse How awful! I hope not many people burn it!
I was allergic to something some years ago. I had a badly swollen cheek, then the bump moved over my upper lip to the other cheek. I looked like a monster. I was examined by a specialist, even spent two days in hospital, but the reason for the swelling wasn't found out. It never returned.
That’s so odd, but at least it’s gone and you no longer look like a monster.
@DianneN Or rather not more than usually, heehee. I had to go to a specialist for allergies in the nearby city. I went by train. Of course, there were other passengers, too. I tried to turn my face away from them in order not to be stared at and not to frighten them. But nobody seemed to be interested in me. I found this surprising and talked about this to a colleague. He wasn't surprised at all and said, "Well, you know., what with so many handicapped people out and about nowadays." I suppose that he thought this was a comforting remark. What an oaf!
@MALUSE I think that most people feel it’s impolite to stare, but they probably snuck in a few peeks.
@FayeHazel (28708)
Eeek. As they say "Leave of 3, leave it be". I'm allergic to cats , maple tree, elm trees, and certain of evergreen
That’s what I go by. Lol! Wow! Those allergies must be awful with the number of maple and elm trees around. And how do you kitty sit?
@FayeHazel (28708)
@DianneN Ah so true. My parents yard has all of those trees. Happily cat allergy isn't too bad, so I take some benadryl and lavender oil. :-)
@FayeHazel The trees are there to stay, but.......Good idea for the cat allergy!
I am allergic to some people and happy I can stay away from then easily. Talking about Ivy we have the other kind that invades the garden if we are not careful but see what it has done to this pot
LOL! I hear you! Do not touch that pot, although it does look pretty.
@DianneN The ivy you see on the pot is safe.
@Hate2Iron (12964)
Definitely poison ivy but i can remember my grandmother boiling some kind of tree branches in water and it took the itch right away. Just can't remember what kind of tree branches it was!!
Wow! I wish you remembered. I’ll have to look it up.
@DianneN Me too!
Thank you for this info!
@Shellyann36 (11607)
If I even look at poison ivy I get a rash! I am also allergic to penicillin.
I hope penicillin allergy is written on your medical charts and at the pharmacy. I know someone allergic to aspirin.
@arunima25 (20502)
• Bangalore, India
I am allergic to cats and I can only admire them from a distance. And I have a lot to suffer from dust allergy in a tropical country like India and so is my husband. Unfortunately we have passed it on to our children too.
Oh, my. I’m so sorry to hear that. Dust allergies can be so difficult to deal with. A friend’s sister in law suffers severely from dust allergies.
@arunima25 (20502)
• Bangalore, India
@DianneN Yes it is tough especially in our country where we have a lots of construction going on and with all pollution and traffic. I wear a mask when out but that is suffocating in a hot weather.
@arunima25 I’m sure it is awful. Are you up late or is it morning there?
@Fleura (9693)
No, thankfully, not actually allergic to anything, but I have found that I seem to be rather sensitive to adrenaline/epinephrine. If the dentist gives me an injection containing this my whole face, from my forehead right down my neck, stays numb for the entire day which is really not very nice!
Oh, that’s awful! I wonder if that can keep building upon itself and worsen each time. That happened with cipro for me.
Me too, it only takes a little for me.
I am not allergic to anything. My husband had a whopper case of poison ivy when he was in Florida pulling weeds from his mother's lawn. I have never had an issue with poison ivy.
Consider yourself lucky. Not so much for your poor hubby!
@DianneN He suffered from that poison ivy rash, or whatever it is, for a few weeks. He was rather miserable.
@Corbin5 I can only imagine. Our son needed to be seen by the pediatrician when he was covered in it. That poison ivy is awful! It was found on a mummy after thousands of years. Can you imagine?
@Nevena83 (27413)
• Serbia
I do not have allergies. My aunt's brother is allergic to many medications for lowering the temperature and while the kid was having a big problem.
Be thankful you don’t have any allergies. So many people do.
@Nevena83 (27413)
• Serbia
@DianneN Yes, thank God I have no allergy.
@nela13 (21115)
• Portugal
So far I think I don't have allergies but only time will say...
Thank your lucky stars!
@nela13 (21115)
• Portugal
@DianneN yes, there are so many people with allergies that I am lucky not having it.
I have never seen poison ivy, probably that's a good thing, but we do have a ton of desert plants that have all kinds of tiny thorns that'll wriggle their way under the skin which I find totally irritating .... not that I'm allergic but still..........
Although poison ivy is awful, those tiny thorns can be just as bad. I hear ya!
Nether are desirable @DianneN but at least with the desert plants you can usually see them before you touch them whereas, from what I've heard, it's not that easy to spot poison ivy, am I wrong?
@rebelann Yes, it’s easy to spot poison ivy if you see three leaves as in the photo. It is tough when it’s mixed in with other weeds.
I am allergic to poplar seeds, to hazelnut flowers, to peanuts and to aspirin.
I don’t want to shock you, Twin, but I’m only allergic to Cipro. Do you have an Epi pen in case of emergencies?
@DianneN I have an Epi pen Dianne and the day I was really bad because I hate peanuts (they were in bought cookies and not on the label ), I was so scared that I could not find it. my husband rushed me to the ER.
@LadyDuck Thank goodness your husband did that. My DIL had the same peanut allergy. She has to be very careful of what and where she eats.
I'm glad he's got it cleared so he won't need to worry about it. I'm only allergic to peanuts and chicken. I do have a low tolerance for aspirin.
There is more in the back woods, but he won’t go in there. He’s having what’s left sprayed. Peanut allergies are awful. I only knew about your chicken allergy. Yikes!
@DianneN The chicken is the worse of the two. Peanuts are totally annoying. I get a full mouth itch and want to chew off my lips. It's not worth it to me to get near peanuts.
@just4him Peanut allergies build up and get worse each time. I heard that reading package ingredients is a must for those with peanut allergies like my daughter in law.
@ShifaLk (13989)
Oh.. But they do look beautiful huh... Doodle is so smart wow... Well i am just allergic to dust.. Means just a little bit of dust gives me boils on face...or other skin rashes.. I need to leave India I think
Yikes! That is some dust allergy!
@ShifaLk (13989)
@DianneN yeah... I am born in India by mistake
@ShifaLk Home is where the heart is.
@DianneN Poison ivy does not excite me either. Yes, I am allergic to penicillin and cannot eat certain foods that do not agree with me and also there is a small plant that I might be allergic too but not sure.
Oh, penicillin allergies are awful I’ve heard. I heard that anyone can become allergic to anything at any time.
@DianneN I have a tag for that and also that I wear contact lenses. I got them many years ago in the States. I used to wear them around my neck and had something I carried around that said it in on a piece of paper.
@Hannihar Good for you! That’s wise to do. I have an alert on my medical files and at our pharmacy.
@aninditasen (2008)
• Raurkela, India
I am allergic to heat as I get rashes when it is too hot.
Yes, I get rashes, too, at times when I play sports in the hot sun.
• Raurkela, India
@DianneN Neem and sandle wood paste cures rashes.
@aninditasen Thank you. I wouldn’t know where to find those items here.
Luckily, I don't have allergy. I guess I was exposed to playing games outside that my immune system was strong against them. So, your doctor fully knows what you are allergic of and see to it that he gives you one with none of CIPRO.
You are lucky and I hope it stays that way for you. Yes, I developed an allergy to anything containing cipro. My first reaction almost sent me to the hospital.
@DianneN I guess i have a crocodile skin that is why.
@SIMPLYD I doubt that very much, but keep doing what you’ve been doing!
Oh wow, you get poison ivy in your yards? Thus far I have not been allergic to anything . . . except this one time a couple years ago. I ate a sample of this Korean snack from a fellow mom . . . it was similar to a Japanese one but it had these nuts and things on it - but I didn't think anything of it except that I've never eaten it with those toppings. That night I got these weird welts on my arms - and then onto my body (but not my face!). I was told this was a food allergy of some kind - but I've never gotten it again.
So glad it was a one time thing. You do not want a nut allergy. That happened to me once after having shrimp. I ran to the doctor, but by the time I got there, the welts disappeared, so they gave me an allergy test. No food allergies. I’ve been eating shrimp since and never had a problem. We both seem to have had fluke allergies thank goodness!
@DianneN Isn't that weird? Maybe it wasn't the shrimp - maybe it was something the shrimp was cooked with? And me, maybe it wasn't nuts but something else? My welts lasted a good few days - I looked like a map of continents .
@much2say I remember we took our younger son and his friend out for dinner after football practice. We ate outside, and I had a salad and shrimp and pasta. So weird. Oh well, life goes on.......
@LindaOHio (5000)
I had a bad reaction to a medication that I took for bronchitis. Other than that, no.
I hope you know what medication that was so it won’t happen again.
@LindaOHio (5000)
@DianneN Yup! Biaxin. It made me so sick.
@LindaOHio Make sure you never take it again or in any other form. Those meds build up in our bodies and our reactions to them are worse every time.