May 22, 2019 10:52am CST
Just thinking of it makes me itchy, but as often as I accidentally touched it pulling weeds, I never got a rash. Well, perhaps one tiny blister, but even then I’m not certain it was from poison ivy. Our younger son just had a third of an acre cleared of dead ash trees, vines, and of course, loads of poison ivy. He is highly allergic to poison ivy, so I’m happy it’s gone. Doodles the cat even turns away from it when he hears the reminder, “No big bad poison ivy!” At least he can roam freely there until we return to Connecticut in a mere two weeks!!! I’m so excited! Are you allergic to anything? I’m allergic to any medication with CIPRO in it.
44 people like this
• Walnut Creek, California
Here in California, we have poison oak. I believe the toxin is the same as in poison ivy. I DO get a reaction to it--an itchy spot that lasts about two weeks. The real danger is if someone burns poison oak. If you breathe the smoke, you can wind up with the toxin in your lungs.
6 people like this
I was allergic to something some years ago. I had a badly swollen cheek, then the bump moved over my upper lip to the other cheek. I looked like a monster. I was examined by a specialist, even spent two days in hospital, but the reason for the swelling wasn't found out. It never returned.
5 people like this
@DianneN Or rather not more than usually, heehee. I had to go to a specialist for allergies in the nearby city. I went by train. Of course, there were other passengers, too. I tried to turn my face away from them in order not to be stared at and not to frighten them. But nobody seemed to be interested in me. I found this surprising and talked about this to a colleague. He wasn't surprised at all and said, "Well, you know., what with so many handicapped people out and about nowadays." I suppose that he thought this was a comforting remark. What an oaf!
• United Kingdom
No, thankfully, not actually allergic to anything, but I have found that I seem to be rather sensitive to adrenaline/epinephrine. If the dentist gives me an injection containing this my whole face, from my forehead right down my neck, stays numb for the entire day which is really not very nice!
• El Paso, Texas
I have never seen poison ivy, probably that's a good thing, but we do have a ton of desert plants that have all kinds of tiny thorns that'll wriggle their way under the skin which I find totally irritating .... not that I'm allergic but still..........
Luckily, I don't have allergy. I guess I was exposed to playing games outside that my immune system was strong against them. So, your doctor fully knows what you are allergic of and see to it that he gives you one with none of CIPRO.
• United States
Oh wow, you get poison ivy in your yards? Thus far I have not been allergic to anything . . . except this one time a couple years ago. I ate a sample of this Korean snack from a fellow mom . . . it was similar to a Japanese one but it had these nuts and things on it - but I didn't think anything of it except that I've never eaten it with those toppings. That night I got these weird welts on my arms - and then onto my body (but not my face!). I was told this was a food allergy of some kind - but I've never gotten it again.
• United States
So glad it was a one time thing. You do not want a nut allergy. That happened to me once after having shrimp. I ran to the doctor, but by the time I got there, the welts disappeared, so they gave me an allergy test. No food allergies. I’ve been eating shrimp since and never had a problem. We both seem to have had fluke allergies thank goodness!
• United States
@DianneN Isn't that weird? Maybe it wasn't the shrimp - maybe it was something the shrimp was cooked with? And me, maybe it wasn't nuts but something else? My welts lasted a good few days - I looked like a map of continents .