We're taking a kangaroo to Austria

Bunbury, Australia
We will be in Ireland another four nights before flying to Austria to catch up with a friend who stayed with us in Australia. Yesterday we had a lovely day with our daughter-in-law’s family. There were eighteen of us and it was a rowdy but fun day. It is some years since we’ve seen most of the children and of course they have all grown up a lot in that time. Our Austrian friend now has a little girl of five and we are her adopted grand-parents which is a really nice for us as we have no grandchildren of our own. Needless to say, we are taking a few small gifts with us including this little wooden kangaroo. It is one of those toys that trundle down a sloping surface. There is a pin through the top of the hind leg. When you put the kangaroo of a slope it ‘hops’ along.
wow, don't reckon i'd been countin' the days 's soon yer gonna be headed home. so many 'dventures though! great ya got to spend that 'rowdy' time with 'em. i'm certain to be shocked if'n the daughter makes't here this summer with my eldest grands. aint seen 'em'n 3 yrs now 'n hear the grandson'd now be my height 'n he's 'nly 13, lol. reckon he got the tall genes :) that's so sweet yer austrian friend's a wee'un y'all get to call yer own. that kangaroo's too cute! hmm, i'd love to've one myself. i could play with such whilst blowin' my bubbles out back. save travels ~
Thanks. I'm sorry you don't get to see your grandkids too often. I guess they live a long way away?
@JudyEv the eldest 2 lives 'bout 850 miles from here. the 2 youngest 'nly live 'bout 115. with me not bein' able to successfully drive, both might's well be 'cross the moon. 't'd be awful to start'n then need to call someone to fetch me'n my auto. will be seein' the younger 2 next month fer 'is birthday. the daughter 'twas to come (still tryin' to figure when) 'n july 's well, but i fear lots 'f docs 'ppointments might prevent 'em from makin' the trip. her hubs aint well....
@crazyhorseladycx I'm sorry to hear that. Even when people live close, it doesn't help if you can't drive.
• Agra, India
Aww...this is so cute
I've kept this for ages but I'm happy for our little friend to have it.
• Agra, India
@JudyEv wow...this is so good
This is so cute, I remember those toys that "walked" if put on a slope.
We sometimes got such toys in packets of breakfast cereal.
@JudyEv I remember that I had a little robot that walked down on a slope.
@LadyDuck I had a little plastic elephant and he used to trundle down too. Very cute.
@sissy15 (6681)
I'm jealous I'd love to go to Ireland. It's neat that you have adopted grandchildren. My stepfather in law has always considered our son his grandchild even though he didn't even meet my husband until my husband was already an adult. I remember when my sisters went to Australia and brought me back a boomerang which I still have somewhere I think. I personally haven't done any traveling but it would be nice to one day. Enjoy your trip and I am sure the kids will like the gifts you bring them. Most kids are fairly easy to please.
We've been lucky really to have done so much travelling. Having a son living in Ireland is a strong incentive to go there when we can.
@sissy15 (6681)
@JudyEv I imagine it is, unfortunately, I just don't have the funds to travel but maybe one day. Ireland and Scotland is where most of my mom's family came to the US from and it'd be nice to travel there one day but it won't be for a long time. I haven't even really traveled around the US much. I've been to 5 out of 50 states. I do love reading about other peoples travels though.
@sissy15 I do hope that one day you are able to travel.
@amandajay (20869)
• North Shore, New Zealand
Haha I thought a real one
No, not a real one this time although we have dozens of real ones at home.
@amandajay (20869)
• North Shore, New Zealand
@JudyEv oh really? real once at home? arent they dangerous? I have seen them kicking people
@amandajay Some do get dangerous but none of the ones on our property have become tame. They are very timid normally. We have 18 acres and the roos come in from the bush. They drink from our birdbath and eat the garden.
How adorable! Keep enjoying your trip.
We did enjoy the rest of the trip. We got home yesterday.
@JudyEv Welcome home. We got home today.
19h
@DianneN Are you pleased to be back? I was.
@kareng (12165)
It sounds like you are having a great time. The dino will be a hit. I've never seen one like that that hops along. Cute gift.
It doesn't quite hop but moves both legs like a real kangaroo does.
@kareng (12165)
@JudyEv Either way it sounds cute.
• Pamplona, Spain
Its nice to be an a Grandparent of that kind. Love the idea of the kangaroo she will love it and I can remember having well my sister better said had a monkey on a stick that climbed up the stick when you move it a certain way it was a great toy loved it. Have a good journey.
There was also a giraffe on a stand and when you pushed the bottom of the stand its legs would go every which way. Simple toys but intriguing to kids.
• Pamplona, Spain
@JudyEv That sounds a good one too and I so loved that monkey that climbed the stick and did antics.
@rakski (32239)
that is such a nice toy
I feel sure she'll enjoy it.
@rakski (32239)
@JudyEv for sure she will enjoy it
@Nakitakona (5309)
It's cute kangaroo toy. Kangaroo is native to Australia. Isn't it? Do kangaroos still thrive in Australia?
Yes, kangaroos are very common in Australia. On our 18-acre property, we have dozens of wild kangaroos.
@JudyEv That's good. Thanks.
She is one very lucky little girl to have two wonderful adopted grandparents. I think that kangaroo is the perfect gift!
Thanks for the kind words. We have a few other little gifts for her too of course. We don't want to spoil her so I'll be guided by her mother. Maybe some will be put away till Christmas or whatever. We don't send much in the post as it is REALLY expensive.
I bet she will love it.
It's quite cute. I've had it for years but realised when I go it might just get tossed out so now it's been 'decluttered'. I can give away things I love to people I love. :)
@Sojourn (5353)
Wow,such a simple yet cool toy in this age of electronic glory!
Yes, it is simple but hopefully she'll enjoy it.
That is a lovely little wooden kangaroo ! The trip to there is a truly unforgettable experience !
I've just checked the temperatures there and it may be in the low 30Cs so it will be a big change from Ireland.
@wolfgirl569 (16318)
• Marion, Ohio
That toy sounds very cute.
It is cute. It goes down a slope just like a kangaroo would although 'walking' two feet together rather than hopping.