Good News and Bad News

MorgueFile by lisaleo
Well, we are back from a wonderful three weeks of traveling. There is so much to say about it, but mostly, it was wonderful. France--Paris, Amboise, Beaune, Colmar. Then on to Brugge in Belgium where I was able to go and watch people making lace. The bad news?? My phone was stolen while waiting for the Metro in Paris the second day into the trip. So I have no pictures to share. But after a stressful two-hour phone call, I had my phone line suspended, and made sure that my family was notified back in the states so they wouldn't worry. The upside was that without a phone, I talked to more people and looked at many more things than I would have had I been glued to my phone.
@CarolDM (32754)
Oh wow, I would have bought a camera. But I am so glad you had a great trip.
@CarolDM We thought about it, but just never ran across a place to get one. The hardest thing was that I was never sure what time it was--that only mattered when we had to catch a plane or train--but then it really mattered
@CarolDM (32754)
@divalounger The main thing is you enjoyed the trip and made good memories.
@CarolDM We had a great time--I don't feel much like working now so I must have gotten to that relaxed place
So glad you found a positive in not having your phone. My mother's purse was stolen in Paris.
@Corbin5--I think having your purse stolen is worse. I still had all my money and credit cards and passport--but having those taken would really make things a lot harder.
@divalounger Yes, Mom lost all of that.
@Corbin5 They target tourists, my purse was stolen in Miami.
Wow I would have bought a throwaway phone or a camera, I have had my camera die in Europe and always replaced it but for me, I need to have pictures.
OOh--love this @BelleStar --where was it taken?
@BelleStarr Yes!!! I loved the hospital! It was a fascinating tour--Thank you!!
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. I know that the Paris Metro is not a safe place, I should have warned you.
@LadyDuck unfortunately, I did something stupid--I took the phone out of one pocket in the backpack and put it in another. That was all it took!
@divalounger I am really sorry, should you ever visit Italy be more than careful, especially in the south.
@LadyDuck I learned my lesson this time--I am hoping to get to Italy as well--and I hear that Italy is also bad that way
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Lovely glad you had a wonderful trip anyway.
Thank you! It was fun!
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@divalounger And I am so sorry for what happened to you. But glad you came home safely
@TiarasOceanView Me too--I loved getting away--and I would stay away longer if we could afford it--I would love to find a way to split my time between Europe and here
What a shame your phone was stolen. I guess the upside is that you now know you can function without it!
I was telling my husband that I think I looked at more things by not having my phone with me--it worked out well in the end--but I did send the evil eye to the guy who took it!
@divalounger Hopefully karma will catch up with him - and soon.
@JudyEv Yup!
I'm sorry you lost your phone and glad you did more without it and enjoyed your vacation.
I forget how good it feels to get away from the regular routine. It was wonderful! Thank you
@divalounger I'm glad it was good to make that change even for a short while.
Welcome home! I'm sorry your phone was stolen. One can't be too careful when traveling. I'm happy you had a wonderful time, but I would have run out and bought a new phone or camera immediately.
We thought about it actually, but the area of Paris we were in just didn't have any electronics stores--and then gradually, I got used to not having it --
@divalounger Well, at least you had a good time when all is said and done.
@LowRiderX (10962)
• Serbia
Hey welcome back!! Oh, I can not believe what happened to you, I'm sorry, and I just used to, and I was looking forward to see the pictures
And I was looking forward to taking all those pictures! But it was ok really--
@LowRiderX (10962)
• Serbia
@divalounger That's how it is, the most important thing is that you have fun
@kareng (13798)
Sorry about your phone and no photos of your trip. I'm glad you still had a good time.
Thanks--I am slowly trying to get back in the groove of working--but my brain still feels like it is on vacation!
@kareng (13798)
@divalounger You are welcome.
@garymarsh6 (18434)
Paris is becoming quite a terrible place on the metro for pick pockets. I am sorry you had this experience but you did not let it mar your holiday! I hope you still had a wonderful time despite this hiccup!
14h
We did have a great time! Once I handled all the stuff around suspending the line and making sure the kids stateside knew that we couldn't contact them readily it was fine--
Sorry about that, but it does make you realise that a lot of things pass us by with a phone in our hands.
It did make me realize that same thing!
I am glad that you had a good time. I hope you are able to get another phone.
I am using my daughter's old phone right now. Its camera is broken but the phone part works and right now I would like to not spend money on a phone.
@Ecoy41 (379)
Oh I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your phone in Paris. SO, the situation in Paris hasn't changed as I have read about and seen in the movies. And you can always find the silver lining in every situation.
The Paris Metro especially seems to be plagued with pickpockets--but otherwise, I had a great time
Oh my...that is rough! It could have been worse though.
It could have been much worse. At least it wasn't my money or credit card or anything like that--or worse--passport--
An interesting downside and upside. You have to be careful around the Metro. Pickpockets as you learned.
@JohnRoberts I learned my lesson---and when your phone is in your hand, it is not being stolen--that was my other observation
@yanzalong (13217)
What happened will make you more careful next time.
I hope to never have that happen again!
@thelme55 (19463)
Welcome back. I am glad you still enjoyed your travel even though your phone was stolen.
@thelme55 Thank you! I am so glad that we got to get away!
@LindaOHio (6812)
I would have purchased a camera; but I'm glad you had a good time. Sorry your phone got stolen.
It worked out ok really--we thought about it, but it was hard to find a camera so we ended up letting go of the idea