One of my favourite things about chickens…

@Fleura (9943)
United Kingdom
is that unlike dogs or cats or many mammals, they will actually look where you point! This seems like such a simple thing, but if you’ve ever tried pointing out a missed cat treat to your pet you will know how frustrating it can be. Obviously this is because they use their senses in different ways, and many mammals focus a lot more on scent than we do while birds rely quite heavily on sight, but nevertheless I am enjoying being able to share this simple communication. If I toss some goodies over the fence and they don’t see them all right away, I can point out the missed treats and they will go and look in the right place – result!
@mrki444 (3635)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
I hate it when they run in front of my car. Go to another side, no jump in front of car.
@Fleura (9943)
I haven't seen chickens do that (they are normally enclosed here - too many foxes!) but certainly pheasants do it all the time - why don't they just jump to the side??
@mrki444 (3635)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Fleura They are at side but they start running on second side.
@cperry2 (1413)
There is a town in California where I used to live, Fair Oaks. A farmer left a large plot of land to the city with the provision that the Chickens there could stay and would be protected. That was at the turn of the last century, around 1900. Anyway, there are chickens everywhere. They do run out into the road sometimes. This can be frustrating not to mention give one a fright.
I never noticed this with chicken, I have to make a test. The chicken in your photo is cute, it looks smart.
@Fleura (9943)
Let me know if you get the same result! That's Buttercup in the photo, she was a real character!
@Fleura Buttercup seems to ask "why are you taking a photo of me?" I am going to experiment with the chickens at the farm nearby.
i've 'lways thought chickens to be purty smart. when i 'twas a young'un, i'd a pet chicken. she went e'erywhere with me, whether i wished 'er to 'r not. if'n i'd managed to get my horse tacked'p without 'er, she come hollerin' 'n flappin' wings tryin' to catch'p with's. e'en goin' 's far 's grabbin' my horses tail. yup, i'd stop 'n let 'er'n the saddle with me. i've trained bird pups fer years, so i reckon i've ne'er noticed pups not lookin' where ya point? the cat...yup, she'll jest stare 't'cher finger, lol.
@Fleura (9943)
Ha ha yes when you point at a treat and the cat just sniffs around and doesn't find it, and you want to just grab them and go 'It's THERE, look, just in front of you!' Love the idea of the chicken coming out for rides with you!
@Fleura yes ma'am, went through that same scenario with the resident cat here 't suppertime. 't aint oft i give treats, but fixed somethin' with cheese. her'n the pup 'lways get a few lil pieces. she 'twas convinced such 'twas still'n my hand, no 'er bowl :) she rode with me 'n helped 'round the place, more 'kin to a pup?
@Fleura (9943)
@crazyhorseladycx Did she fetch things for you?? Maybe 'assistance chickens' could be the next trend - cheaper to keep than a dog : )
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
Are you a vet?
@Fleura (9943)
No, are you?
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@Fleura I'm not the one talking about chickens here..
@Fleura (9943)
@ihasaquestion Not many vets know much about chickens. Mostly they specialise in cats and dogs - because the owners spend more money on them!
@kareng (13797)
I have to admit that chickens will scour the area any treats or food is thrown. I'll have to test them out with the pointing. Interesting.
@Fleura (9943)
Oh yes they don't miss much!
@kareng (13797)
@sophie09 (8485)
that is cool ! i've never get to interact with any chicken lol
@Fleura (9943)
They are more interesting than you might expect!
@sophie09 (8485)
@Fleura hhaha cuteness
Not sure never had any experience with chicken Good morning
@Fleura (9943)
They are more interesting than you think!
@Fleura yes and they are smart.
Even chickens have personalities if you spend time with them.
@Fleura (9943)
They certainly do!
I have never known that chickens have a knack for doing it.They acquired it in the evolutionary developement of them.
@Fleura (9943)
I didn't know either but I am pleased they do!
@janethwayne (4115)
Chicken in my yard runs here and there.But I did not see eggs any.
@Fleura (9943)
They are good at hiding them!
@owlwings (41150)
• Cambridge, England
I think that the reason for this is that a pointed finger looks very much like a beak to a bird and so they instinctively look at where your finger is 'looking'. Cats and dogs, on the other hand, will look at your face rather than at your hand and will often follow your line of sight that way, though a few can be trained to look at where you're pointing, though mostly they respond better if you are telling them to go/sit/stand where you point.
@cperry2 (1413)
How interesting. I've not interacted with many chickens. I will have to try this out the next time I have an opportunity.