This Blew Me Away!

I’m fasting for our high holy day, Yom Kippur. Being weak and tired, I looked up some information on Wikipedia for the firm where our older son works in their main office in New York City as Senior Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer in their legal department. He wasn’t working at this firm during 9/11, but I was blown away what I read on Wikipedia! “At the time of the 2001 September 11 attacks in the United States, the corporation held offices on eight floors, 93 to 100, of the North Tower of the World Trade Center. When American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into the building, its offices spanned the entire impact zone, floors 93 to 99. Everybody present in the company's offices on the day of the attack died as all stairwells at impact zone were destroyed or blocked by the crash; the firm lost 295 employees and 66 contractors”. I’m not sure if he knows this. ~Photo of his building courtesy of Wikipedia~
@CarolDM (45672)
Wow this is horrible. Surely he knows about it.
Isn’t it just awful? I will ask him if he knew about it.
@CarolDM (45672)
@DianneN That gave me chills.
@CarolDM (45672)
@DianneN Yes, it seems to never end.
@LindaOHio (13064)
That's horrible. My heart breaks for those families and friends of the deceased. He probably does know about this; but what a shock!
I was shocked reading about it. It’s a day none of us will forget. I will ask him when I speak with him tomorrow.
@LindaOHio (13064)
@DianneN Good. Hope you can make it until dinner time. Maybe lie down for a while?
@LindaOHio I’m in bed resting. At least I don’t have my usual headache. lol
I'm confused? Did they rebuild the building afterwards and now your son works there?
No, both buildings were obliterated and a memorial stands in its place. My son’s firm is now operating out of a different building in Midtown.
@DianneN ohhh okay I get it now thanks for clearing that up. Thank god he didn’t work there when 9/11 happened
@shaggin He started work in NYC the day before and saw the first plane hit.
@Nakitakona (15023)
That's terrible. That's gruesome act of terrorism.
It was the most gruesome act, although all terrorism is horrific.
@Nakitakona (15023)
@DianneN I know but this one is terrible. It seems to be next to the holocaust.
@Nakitakona Not quite the Holocaust, but very close.
@WorDazza (12325)
• Manchester, England
I remember watching this unfold via internet news sites. There was no work done that day. I bet there are many people with stories of how they were lucky not to have been involved and tragically many who wouldn't have normally been there but for some reason out of the ordinary were there. It's still heartbreaking to think of all those lives pointlessly lost even though it was quite some time ago.
@DianneN It was really sad for all involved.
@WorDazza (12325)
• Manchester, England
@DianneN These events should make us all realise just how fragile life is and how we should try to live the best life we can.
@jstory07 Oh, yes!
He was very lucky he wasn't working there yet. Cantor Fitzgerald got totally demolished as well.
He began his career the day before and was in the Citi Corp building when he saw the first plane hit. So many lost their lives that awful day.
@DianneN I'll never forget that day. It was such a gorgeous day. I had just started teaching. Year 1.
@NJChicaa I was teaching, too, and it was a beautiful day. The ash made NYC look cloudy and awful.
Being a New Yorker the impact of 9/11 was horrific. That's interesting information regarding the company your son works for. Certainly glad he wasn't there on 9/11
We all remember the awful impact, Our son saw the first plane hit. He had started working the day before and was in the Citi Corp building. Birdseye view. It was so frightening.
@DianneN my daughter worked in Manhattan at the time and the day before she was there for a meeting. She was back in her office mid-town on 9/11 but had to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to get out of the city. It certainly was a horrible day for all of us and I can still get emotional when I think about it.
I am so relieved your son and future daughter in law are okay. I remember daddy calling me from work to put on the TV as history was being made, It upset me too much so refused to watch It. Daddy was glued to the TV when he would get home each night watching about it my cousin is a lawyer in Florida and was in a meeting with somebody who worked in one of towers with the TV on muted in the background and the person worked in the towers but watched his law firm be destroyed in the attack my sister was in southern California on business and the airlines wouldn't fly her home so she took a bus cross country as she wanted to get home as soon as possible
Wow! It’s amazing how many people were touched by that horror. My son had to walk back to his apartment across town in the falling ash. How awful for your cousin’s client and your poor sister.
@DianneN i am sorry about how your son had to walk with the ashes. i could not handle watching it back then and i still try to avoid it as it was so horrible
Did he not attend office that day?
He worked for a different law firm the, And started his job the day before. He saw the first plane hit.
Wow! I bet he doesn`t know either.
He may just knowing him. I’ll find out to.
@LeaPea2417 (26908)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Wow, that is so sad. It is so good he was not working there then!
I thank my lucky stars!
@garymarsh6 (19609)
How very very sad. I Hope that it NEVER EVER happens again! It is imprinted on my memory as if it were yesterday.
Triple ditto!
@garymarsh6 (19609)
@DianneN How could we ever forget it Dianne. I guess to our generation it is permanently imprinted on our memories! Life is so precious!
I bet he knew about it, but didn't want to upset you with the knowledge. My son works in DC, a fact that doesn't especially thrill me.
Perhaps. He did see the first plane hit. He started his career the day before and was in training on the use of IBMs. We were frantic!
@DianneN I can imagine.
@bunnybon7 (43294)
• Holiday, Florida
that is so so scary isn't it. You must be worrying every day and have to just keep telling yourself it won't happen in the same place again.
I just hope it never ever happens again - anywhere! He just started working the day before at another firm and saw the first plane hit.
@GreatMartin (10109)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I'm sure he does--they still talk and give all the facts and figures all over Manhattan, which in a way, is good! Regarding fasting for Yom Kippur I wish I was a kid again when my mom sent me and my brother to the movies where we could get popcorn and candy and the neighbors wouldn't know---except their kids were there also!
OMG! You led quite the life as a kid. And adult!
@acelawrites (17431)
He was saved; good he wasn't there when that horrible thing happened. Do you drink water while fasting for Yom Kippur?
Thank goodness, although he started his career the day before and saw the first plane hit from the building he was in. No water, no coffee, no nothing. We will break the fast in a few minutes when our guests arrive. I can’t wait. I’m starving!
I watched that on TV and a friend of mine was there and he said it all happened so fast and everyone panicked and was running up the stairs and than back down again.
@JustBhem (64334)
• Davao, Philippines
One of the event that people around the world will never forgets.
Yes, that’s so true. So sad.
Rather chilling to learn.
Definitely.
oh wow. That is so sad and tragic.
Very!