Botswana has first three COV-19 cases

Image credit: Flikr.com
@Lushlala (3434)
Gaborone, Botswana
How's everyone doing? I hope you're all doing well and keeping yourselves and your loved ones safe :) I know this pandemic has been discussed and continues to be discussed to its death - excuse the pun. God knows the last thing I want to do is add to everyone's misery. But I just thought I'd share. Last night, three people in my country Botswana tested positive for Coronavirus. Until now, we've done to be free of the virus but we always knew it was really a case of when not if. The three reportedly flouted the government ban on travel to high-risk areas and recently visited the UK and Thailand. They're currently in quarantine away from the public. Earlier today the president declared a state of emergency and stated we'll be going into 'extreme isolation' from Thursday for 28 days to try and stop the virus spreading. Keep safe, stay healthy and observe all the precautionary measures, y'all. Tell your nearest and dearest you love them. Keep the faith and BELIEVE we'll overcome the pandemic
It’s good to talk about it. I’m sorry you have your first three cases. My state of Florida has over 7000 due to covidiots!
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
I totally agree with you and thank you. The figure now stands at 6, with one fatality. I'm sorry about your 7000 too. But like you, I feel people are being stupid and not taking the necessary steps to protect themselves and others. I believe if the population wasn't so small here (2.4 million) and the country wasn't sparsely populated, we'd have a lot more cases. Stay safe and healthy
@Lushlala We are up today to 11,000. There are foolish people still taking risks. Covidiots! Thanks and you stay safe and smart!
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@DianneN I like the word you've coined, 'covidiots'... it's so fitting! Yes, I see the US numbers soaring yet the authorities still won't declare a nationwide lockdown as recommended by the experts. Just mind-boggling. I do hope the situation doesn't escalate far beyond what it already has. My husband and I are observing all social distancing measures and are staying indoors - bar when we go for our daily walk/jog around where we live. Love and light to you and your family.
• Israel
@Lushlala I am sorry. I do not understand why people do not follow instructions and do what they want to do and do not care about other people or even themselves. Stay safe.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Thanks so much for your kind words :) This pandemic seems to have 'fried' many people's brains because I look around and see so much selfish, self-centred behaviour around me :( You take good care as well!
• Israel
@Lushlala You take care too and you are welcome.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@Hannihar Thank you - you too :)
Very wise to start extreme isolation as soon as possible. Most countries waited too long to do that.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
That's very true! I was shocked to hear on the news that Sweden has chosen not to!
@Lushlala Sweden is betting on people following social distancing on their own. I hope that works for Sweden. I was surprised that Russia is sending a cargo plane filled with supplies to the USA. .It is good to know that countries are helping each other.
@Lushlala China is also sending supplies to the USA. We are in a lot of trouble here. Too many people and too many urban areas in the USA.
• Preston, England
hope they keep it contained and everyone stays safe there - take care
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Thanks so much, Arthur - I hope so too. The government is doing all it can and has does a solid job so far. BUT there are a lot of numpties putting us all at risk
• Preston, England
@Lushlala same here sadly
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@arthurchappell Yeah, I've seen it on the news. Fingers crossed this thing ends soon. I'm sick of it - excuse the pun!
@bunnybon7 (46429)
• Holiday, Florida
I certainly hope we over come it. Sorry your country has gotten it. also that I am not sure where your country is so will need to do a search
@bunnybon7 (46429)
• Holiday, Florida
@Lushlala yes I looked it up. Hope things get better for all of us in all our countries
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@bunnybon7 We can only hope and pray
@ZedSmart (11991)
I hope that the contagion stops now. I don't know how miserable our lives can be if this continues.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Same here! I'm already feeling down from being cooped up in the house and the pandemic not showing any signs of slowing down :(
@akalinus (32893)
I am sorry to hear that you have cases now. It spreads rapidly, please stay out of harm's way. We have two cases in the next town over, where I do all my shopping and other things. There are over 30 in St. Petersberg and 200 in Tampa. I am staying here or going walking and staying away from everyone else.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Thank you so much, Jo Ann :) It's truly scary but yes, we're being very careful and staying cooped up indoors. We went out and did our bulk shopping yesterday - a straight in and out job. My heart was pounding all the way there and back. I hope all those cases are far enough away from you not to have to worry too much and that they all recover. It's good that unlike some people out there, you're taking the social distancing guidelines seriously :) Keep safe and stay healthy
@akalinus (32893)
@Lushlala I expect it to be near me any day now. I have health conditions so am taking the distancing seriously.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@akalinus It's very scary! Keep doing what you are doing and you should be fine, Jo Ann. I hope you have everything you need
@Nakitakona (32625)
You're quarantine period is 4 weeks. Hope the virus be stopped from spreading.
@Nakitakona (32625)
@Lushlala only Luzon has biggest cases and deaths ever recorded in Visayas where I live and in Mindanao are safe.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@Nakitakona That's good to hear - it's at least concentrated to one main area. Fingers crossed it stays that way :) Please stay safe and healthy.
@Nakitakona (32625)
@Lushlala It's best if those people living in that place wouldn't be allowed to go home to their provinces.
@nela13 (35481)
• Portugal
It was great that your country took measures immediately, I wish they had done the same here. We have more than 30000 infected people
@nela13 (35481)
• Portugal
@Lushlala we have near 1400 deaths, it is low compared to Italy and Spain but our daily number of infected people is always around 200.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@nela13 I'm sorry to hear that and pray and hope the 200 daily cases ease off. Positive vibes to your country.
@nela13 (35481)
• Portugal
@Lushlala Thank you, it has been decreasing and now we have less than 200 new cases every day. Let's hope for the best.
@birjudanak (14645)
I wish this message is recent day but can see before 3-4 months and things become much worst. Hope things alright at your place and rapid increase in corona cases.
@birjudanak (14645)
@Lushlala Your country figure is very good as you are able to stop it as here its increasing rapidly and it also because of numbers of peoples here a lot.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@birjudanak Yes, I have to say the government has been fairly good at managing the pandemic here. As soon as it became apparent that this was a global pandemic, the government locked down the borders and allowed in only residents and nationals. This remains in place. But also, our population is very small - 2.4 million. I hope the situation in India improves soon.
@birjudanak (14645)
@Lushlala Here we had 2 months of lockdown which is enough because this virus cant stay long. People not take it seriously and prefer to go outside without any important work. People looks angry and wanted to life it. Since its lifted up, cases increased rapidly and now its only way look stop of vaccine comes.
Isolation from each other really does seem to help. It's a pity some people don't obey the rules.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@JudyEv I know! And she'll likely have infected others along the way - so far the government has identified, quarantined and tested 18 people she recently came into contact with. We're now waiting to hear the outcome :( Such selfish, reckless behaviour!
@Lushlala If she was travelling, she could have been in contact with dozens.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@JudyEv That's the crazy thing! Somehow, people seem to have lost the ability to use their brains during this pandemic
• Semarang, Indonesia
Im so sorry... take care dear. And make sure you can support your surrounding to agains this virus
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Thanks so much I've got a lot of support. You take care of yourself too and stay safe.
• Semarang, Indonesia
@Lushlala thankyou... i will dear
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
I have been on a self imposed quarantine for over 2 months. In my country there is quarantine only in some places and curfew on others. And there is always stupid people that don´t do what they are supposed to do
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
It's a real shame that it's those stupid people who put other people's lives at risk
@Lushlala Some people are stupid and think they are immortal
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@marguicha You can certainly say that again!
@dgobucks226 (23347)
Sorry to hear! Shame a few individuals are putting your country at risk. Hopefully your safety measures keep infection to a minimum.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Sorry for the delayed response - not sure why I never saw this before :( Thank you so much. I hope you're also safe where you are!
@dgobucks226 (23347)
@Lushlala Yes, thank you!
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
@dgobucks226 You're most welcome :)
@id_peace (11621)
Take care of yourself and take things seriously. It will be fine after that.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Sorry for the delayed response - not sure why I never saw this before :( Thanks, you do the same.
@id_peace (11621)
No worry about it. Have a good day and take care of yoursleves.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
I'm sorry those people flouted the travel ban and did so anyway and now it's in your country too. I hope your people take this pandemic seriously.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Sorry for the delayed response - not sure why I never saw this before :( I know! the whole world needs to take this seriously if we're to flatten the curve. Take good care and stay safe!
@Lushlala That's okay. I'm way behind on my notifications. I'm not going out for more than groceries and getting laundry done.
I hope there will be no more cases in your country.
@ridingbet (66621)
it is very disgusting when a patient harboring the virus knowingly goes out of his house without proper precautionary gear, and shares to others the virus in him. those men did not think of the consequences they might have brought due to their insensitivities
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
It's very stupid and incredibly inconsiderate! That's why they should be punished.
@Inlemay (17459)
• South Africa
keep safe too
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
Thank you so much - same to you!
Youre fortunate to have only a few cases. No reason to celebrate about it though.
@Lushlala (3434)
• Gaborone, Botswana
We are not celebrating at all because one case is one case too many. The cases have also grown to 35 since I initially wrote the article.