Went to my school today..Physically there.

@arunima25 (47451)
Bangalore, India
Good afternoon Friday from this side of the planet.I am here after a good hearty lunchand switching between the two sites. It's Friday. That calls for YAY!! FridayAnd it is double excitement for me today. It's not only weekend here but a long two weeks vacation starting todayWhat we call as Dussehra break or Autumn break and it is the first long break of this academic year. The next one will be a week break during Christmas and New Year. The holiday officially started today. Today is the auspicious day of Mahalaya in India and from tomorrow the grand festival of Navratri/Dussehra begins and it is there for 10 days. I would make few posts on this colorful festival and how it is celebrated in different ways in different corners of India. But for sure whatever maybe the way to celebrate, the jubilant festive mood is set all over the country. Today was a working day for teachers. And for the first time in this academic year since June we went to physical school and had a physical meeting. All safety measures and social distancing were in place there but still there was something bothering everyone at the back of our mind. First two hours were for a regular teachers meeting and then some according to different groups. Last one hour was for distribution of kits. These included art supplies ( needed in next term) and some other essential things that students will need in next term. Each parent was given a window of 5 minutes to come and collect the kit of their child and put a signature. Everyone adhered to their time slot and that ensured that social distancing was well in place Well, government here has allowed schools to reopen for higher grades (9-12) on voluntary basis. Willing students can come with the consent letter from parents. School and teachers have to make sure that all safety measures are in place. Online mode of classes will continue for students who do not want to come to physical classes. Well we have asked parents to fill an online survey for the same and depending on their response we have to plan. SO when the school reopens on 27th of this month teachers might have to take turns between online and physical classes. Today I drove after a long gap of two months outside my premise. It felt like a new driver especially because I have not used my new car much. We got a lockdown when it was still a few months old. But I feel that with unlock going on in phases, many people and vehicles are back to road. I found most of people wearing masks while many not wearing it properly. As soon as I was back, I started with sanitizing my bags, keys, bottles etc and straightway went for a bath and all my clothes went for laundry. I do not wan to carry the virus inside. Now moving on to notifications Stay safe, Stay Healthy and Happy
@fahmita_ (1851)
Good afternoon! Thanks for sharing here, it sounds like you enjoy your day so much. Stay safe!
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
It was the first physical visit to school since the academic year started. With all new norms in place, it didn't seem like the fun place it used to be. I had some odd and awkward feeling.
That's good you got out of the house and went to school. I'm glad all social distancing guidelines were in place. I feel your excitement for the holiday beginning today. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and a good new school term.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
I have all plans to enjoy my holiday. We are waiting for all surveys to come to us in next two days. So far only one parent is okay with physical class. We will get clear picture about next term working in couple of days.
@arunima25 I'm glad you have all your plans in place for the holiday. It sounds like your class size would be minimal.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
@just4him Yes for physical class that's the guidelines issued to ensure enough social distancing. Right now for virtual classes we have 15_17 in a group. My holiday plans are ready and hope it goes as per plan.
Planning to open schools sounds very complicated. So glad you have those two-week holiday to enjoy. I rarely use my car these days and when I drive, I feel like a new driver too.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
Here it is on voluntary basis and only for High school children who are mature enough to follow guidleines. And from the number of people who filled our survey till today, only one has opted for a physical school. Still parents are not brave to take a risk. We have two more days for survey and let's see. Last time I drove out of my premise was 17 March. In between we went out a couple of times but it was husband's car and I got a ride
@arunima25 Definitely a risk to send a child to school all over the world, I believe. I am not sure I would have sent our son to school during a pandemic like this. I really do need to take my car out every now and then so that I become very familiar with that car of mine again.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
@Corbin5 I am also a parent and have received the same survey and I have not opted for physical class. And I can really understand other parents concern. I would have taken my car out once in a week but then we are in containment zone and we have many cases around. I prefer to stay safe indoor.
Happy holiday! It's wonderful that protocols were followed in school, but I would be concerned about signing papers as the parents had to do. Did they use a common pen? Did they use their own? Did they wear gloves? I haven't driven our car since we returned from Florida in May. No need to. Hubs does the driving around with me. Enjoy your day!
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
They all brought their own pen and most had gloves. I am glad that everyone acted responsible. My car went out of premise after March 17. That was the last time I drove. We went out a couple of times but it was husbands car and I just got a ride The festival mood begins here. This pandemic has killed so many vibrant events like Dandiya dance that was so much part of celebration.
@arunima25 Glad to hear everyone was responsible. Can't be too careful these days. The last time I drove was on March 17th, too!. When hubs and I go out, he always does the driving. Happy festival to you. Nothing is the same anymore it seems.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
@DianneN March 17..What a coincidence!! You are right that there is no 100 percent prevention and all we can do is stay careful and take all measures. Not sure when the vibrant celebrations would be back.
@anil02 (21230)
Here teacher are going to school since June. Here we have vacation after Dushera. Here Navratra is starting from tomorrow. May be my daughter will keep fast for 8 days.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
No vacation for dussehra? We might have to take turns to go for physical school after vacation. This depends on how many students opt to come. Anyway we can have only two students at one time to ensure social distancing. What I guess is that it would be only for doubt clarification. Let's see. I used to fast for nine days. But now I fast on first day and Mahaashtmi.
@anil02 (21230)
@arunima25 You are doing regular job?. I am not doing fast but I am eating what my wife and daughter are eating
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
@anil02 This year due to pandemic we all worked from home. So I was offered a full time job with some added responsibilities and classes besides the two special students. I am fasting today with two meals of fruits and milk. I just had banana milk shake for dinner.
You have a handful of things to do today. I am glad that you have another site to be with. The other earning sites that I am working with seem like scam sites now.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
I guess you are talking about crazyoff. Even I joined it last week but then was not active there as I got discouraging feedback.
@arunima25 The bad thing is the site is deducting when paying the users on Paypal.
@arunima25 I was being paid on this site. But the affiliated site didn't pay me yet. So I decided to stop working with these two sites.
@msdivkar (16565)
In my childhood we used to have 2 vacations one summer vacation, the big one and the other Diwali vacation which was comparatively smaller and still smaller was Christmas/ New year holidays. Dussehra is comparatively a lesser festival here but in Karnataka it is a big festival.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
Dussehra is a big celebration for us. Especially on my husband side. It's very much similar to Bengal in Ranchi too. But this year it would be low profile one with no pandal hopping, no dandiya and no kanya puja. I use to have lots of girls for kamya puja on ashthmi. I did it for April navaratri too. But this year I will just do regular puja and jaapa at my home. Our building has cases and no child will feel safe coming here. And not responsible on my part to do it
@msdivkar (16565)
@arunima25 Yes the celebrations this year would be subdued but it is good. In places like Mumbai it is just tamasha no devotion in that.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
@msdivkar My husband is a atheist. But I am a devotee of Shiva and Shakti. I follow my rituals religiously. He respects that and offers help when I need.
@ptrikha_2 (26597)
We too sanitize thoroughly after coming back. The problem would be in winters when it gets very cold. I might try to avoid going outside as far as possible, especially during the stretch of extreme winters in late December and early January. Are more students and parents willing to come for physical classes? And how would a teacher teach both physically and online?
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
There are two more days for surveys to be completed. So far out of hundred that we got, only two are okay with physical class. I as a parent have filled the same survey from my daughters schools. Even I have not opted for physical class. For my elder one I have agreed to bring her on few days in December and January for her lab work completion. Let's see what comes as a result of that survey. We are supposed to have only six children and one teacher in a class. So maybe subject teachers will take turn. Corona would be worse in winter. That's what many experts are predicting and even reports of second wave is coming from various countries. Better to stay safe and indoors unless an absolute need is there to step out.
@ptrikha_2 (26597)
@arunima25 As per a scientific report, the need to maintain hygiene and distance would be even greater in winters. Also, in summers, it is still fine to come from somewhere, change and have a bath. That could be tougher, especially during the peak winters. I plan to almost shun offline grocery shopping that time. Even tomatoes and other vegetables remain fine during the extreme winter days, so may be that could be manageable.
@ptrikha_2 (26597)
@arunima25 For a few things I go and buy offline once or a max of twice a week. Rest is online.
oh, i don't envy y'all tryin' to get all that figured, hon. the same's happenin' here'n the u.s., perhaps e'en 'cross the globe. tryin' to get these young'uns learnin' whilst tryin' to keep all safe. a most dauntin' task, one that's not proven successful. i'd the need to venture to town myself today. 'n whilst all 'd 'dhered to the protocols (not much choice, 'twas a hospital, lol), i still did the same's yerself. sanitized e'erythin' 'fore gettin' back'n the truck. did't 'gain when i got home. 2nd shower 'f the day, the pup most confused o'er all the clothes changin'.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
We received a lot of surveys today. Only one parent so far is okay with physical class. There are two more days for more surveys and then we can have a clear picture. Going out these days adds up to so much work... Back home all sanitization, washing and shower.. It's added workload.
@arunima25 's there a minimum where physical classes 'd be open? if'n so, that one parent might be a tad disappointed. yes ma'am, lots 'f work, but worth the 'ffort fer peace 'f mind'n these troublin' times.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
@crazyhorseladycx We have been given the guidelines to have six students and one teacher in a room for physical class. We at least need that minimum number of 6. And we have to keep all windows and doors open or have the classes in open. With cool breeze, lowering temperatures and rain, that would be another issue. I agree that we should not complain about extra sanitization and cleaning. Health is the priority.
@Nevena83 (53060)
• Serbia
Here, children go to school one week and are online the next week, but I think they will close schools in November.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
That's a good way to ensure safety measures and social distancing in place. Why are they closing it? Some vacation or is it surge in cases there?
@Nevena83 (53060)
• Serbia
@arunima25 I wanted to say that because of the virus, children will switch completely to online classes.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
@Nevena83 Oh! I see. That makes sense. Not worth risking the lives of students. Many countries are seeing the second wave now.
@Shiva49 (17214)
Good that a beginning is made. We have to get back to life as usual but still be aware of this unseen enemy. This could well be the new norm for everyone. Not sure how long this will stay so. I am retired and in way I am happy for it.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
This new norm is worrisome but yes somewhere we have to start living with it. Of all the surveys that we got today only one parent was okay with physical school. We still have two more days for the surveys so let's see what's the response. So far it seems parents are not brave to send their children yet to physical class. Even for a retired person staying home arrested and socially isolated for long can have a bad effect.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
@Shiva49 Those words have real deep meaning I agree with you that children are robbed of their precious childhood and I am afraid that down the lane we would see adverse effects on their social, mental and emotional health. Even if the virus goes away, this one year of turmoil is definitely going to leave a long lasting impression. Only time will tell. And the best we can do is to take all safety measures in our capacity. You are right. Nothing is 100 percent assured.
@moonandstars (44754)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i'm sure it was a good, nostalgic feeling
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
It was nostalgic but somewhere we all had worries at back of our mind and no body could relax. It all seemed so weird.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@arunima25 yes, it was nostalgic at first later, it's no relaxing. sorry.
School started October 5 here in Manila but there were schools that started earlier. Most are doing online classes while some have modular learning kits.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
We are having online classes since beginning of this academic year in June. And it will continue till end of academic year in March. But only older children of High school can voluntary come with a consent letter from parents.
@arunima25 I see.
@nitsbubb (827)
• Pune, India
Frankly, if you will ask me, it is really very risky. The students should take self-care like wearing masks, social distancing. Anyway, if you get holidays, enjoy!!
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
Most of the parents or rather all except two three have not opted for physical class. So I guess it will not happen in coming month. I agree it's risky. As a parent of High school girls I have not opted for this physical class.
@thelme55 (53779)
I am glad the protocols are followed. Yes, you have to sanitize before going inside your house. Enjoy your holiday.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
It's second day into my holiday and I am enjoying it. It's going per the plan... Some cleaning and chores, reading, art, family time and of course mylot. . It's also festival time and so definitely some special cooking
Enjoy your two weeks off from school. I haven't been driving as much since lockdown either but lately I've been trying to take a drive at least once a week. I dont want to lose my confidence in driving
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
Actually it was first time since March 17 that I took my car out. We went out a couple of times but husband took his car and I got a ride. I guess I too should be driving more often else I might loose confidence. But here I am in a containment zone with many cases around.
@psanasangma (4938)
Enjoy your holiday !!
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
I have all plans to do thatThank you.
Wishing you a happy holiday and make sure you stay safe!
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
I am quite alert and take all measures to stay safe. It would be a nice break. Online classes are a bit stressful. This long break would give some time to rejuvenate.
Only a few of our students have chosen remote learning. Our teachers log them in and connect while they are teaching their subjects. Then the students have a website with lessons to do and they must screen shot it to the teacher when it is done. They have a closed tub that goes back and forth on a weekly basis with the paper copies of work.
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India
That's what we have been folowing since June the start of this academic year. I am not sure how many parents would be okay sending their children to physical classes. We have to wait for the survey results and then plan.
Thanks for last line
@arunima25 (47451)
• Bangalore, India