My Hair Melted Down the Shower Drain

We have well water and a water system to keep it pure. However, once upon a time, we would get rust in our water which stained my laundry, all white master bathroom, and my blonde hair! Iron Out worked on everything rust stained, so after my hairdresser noticed my rust streaked hair, I made a small mixture of Iron Out and used it on my hair. When I saw my hair on the shower floor, I immediately rinsed my entire head in a panic!!! I wound up with stumps of short and long hair. Very embarrassing and horrifying for my crowning glory. It took months for it to look decent. I’m fortunate to have a thick head of hair, so it could have been much worse. Have you ever done a number on yourself?
@WorDazza (15373)
• Manchester, England
Well at least it removed the rust. Shame it had to also remove your hair to do it. I haven't done anything to myself but I have a bad hair-do story. I cut my own hair with clippers using a number 2 guard (1/4 inch I believe). I then remove the guard and get Mrs. WorDazza to de-fuzz the back of my neck. One time while doing this she noticed I'd missed a bit at the back, decided to sort it for me and went right up the back of my head without the guard on giving me a sort of reverse mohican. I had no option but to re-do the whole lot without the guard. I looked like a convict for weeks. And it was like velcro. My t-shirts got stuck whenever I tried to put them on or take them off.
Your hair story is much worse than mine. Sorry for laughing. I can picture the convict look and the velcro action. BTW, I like your new avatar.
@WorDazza (15373)
• Manchester, England
@DianneN Luckily I'd cut it just before Christmas when I had a couple of weeks off work. By the time I went back to work it was just bad rather than terrible. Thought it was time to change the avatar. I'd been using the same one since I joined myLot. Who knew there was a beach next to the Eiffel Tower.
@WorDazza You lucked out! The only beach near the Eiffel Town is the Paris Plages. lol
You should not use iron out on your hair.
Now you tell me!
@DianneN I know things like that. I know stupid things. My mother always told me homemade things to do. She was raised on a farm. If they needed something and they could not make it they went without.
@jstory07 You seem to know a lot of things - all good!
Gosh you were lucky! But what were you thinking? It's a bit like the girl who put twice as much colour in her hair for half as long and the whole lot fell out.
I was thinking of getting that horrible rust out of my hair. I was an idiot for sure, but desperate. Hubs had a new water filtration which helped. No more rust anywhere. I never heard that about the girl and her hair falling out due to twice as much color for half the time. She must have freaked out like I did.
@DianneN We had carb soda to our huge rainwater tank as we get blue staining in the bathrooms. Something to do with the iron in the water reacting with copper pipes.
@JudyEv Exactly! Water can be a pain in the neck, but we can’t live without it.
• Israel
@DianneN I cannot recall something happening to me like what happened to you. I would be be horrified too if that happened to my hair.
I was horrified and glad it didn't happen to you. Our hair is our crowning glory.
• Israel
@DianneN Why were you horrified that it did not happen to me?
@Hannihar I was horrified when it happened to me. Not a pretty sight.
@thelme55 (56757)
OMG! I would be in a panic too if I were you.
It was just awful! I had to go to school and teach like that.
@thelme55 (56757)
@DianneN So, it happened many years ago.
@thelme55 Oh, yes. No problems since hubs has a new and improved water filtration system put in.
@FayeHazel (34960)
Oh dear! It's funny you mention this. Growing up we had these family friends. I thought the wife/mother had the prettiest hair color. Bright brassy orange. We'd known them for ages, her hair was always the same. Then I saw an old picture of her. Her hair in the younger picture was blonde. I asked my mom how her hair had changed colors. Mom said it was because of the rust in the water. Oh dear. We used that cleaner too when we had well water. I'm happy it wasn't worse on your hair.
and I feel for that woman. I am grateful that we no longer have that problem. When my hubs saw my hair, he instantly had a new and better water filtration system installed. I was so mortified!!!!
@FayeHazel (34960)
@DianneN That is a most thoughtful thing for hub to do. Actually... once I was grown I felt bad for this woman on many levels. They had a large family (fine if that's what everyone wants) but I always sort of got the impression that she might have liked to not have quite so many kids all the time... last I knew they had 7 kids. I was a bit older than the oldest so there are easily grandkids by now...
@FayeHazel Wow! 7 kids is an awful lot of kids to have unless you can fully provide for them. Two cost us plenty!
Oh my! That would be horrifying. The only number I've ever done on myself involved broken limbs. I fell over the back end of my bike at 10 years old and broke my right elbow.
Yikes! A broken elbow is much worse than lunatic hair. I hope it doesn't give you any trouble now.
@DianneN No, it doesn't. The only one that does is the left because I chipped the bone in that elbow horsing around with my husband. The doctor couldn't pin it and needed to take that chip out. So, I can't straighten it completely. As I said, it's my limbs that suffer from my stupidity.
@sophie09 (32175)
i love my hair so i would be shock to if it happened to me
Me, too. I was sick over it.
@sophie09 (32175)
@DianneN although i wear headscarf i dont wanna lose my hair
@sophie09 I don't blame you. I don't wear a headscarf, so turned everyone's stomach.
@Tina30219 (59448)
• Onaway, Michigan
We have hard water and can’t have anything white if we do we have to dye it .
That was our problem, too. We had a new water softener/filtration installed and the water has been good for years. No more rust anywhere!
@Tina30219 (59448)
• Onaway, Michigan
@DianneN Glad the water has been good for years and no more rust anywhere.
@Tina30219 You should look into getting a system, too. I ruined too many white clothes, sheets, and towels in the past, not to mention the toilets and showers.
@kobesbuddy (112065)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I'm glad in a little while, your hair was nicely grown in as before:) My sister told me about an early treatment for a cold sore. The second it appears on my lip, drop a tiny amount of bleach on it. Please, don't ever try this, Dianne! It burns like carbolic acid
Thanks! I have some pills just in case I ever get a cold sore, but I have to take them at the first tingle. I may try that bleach!
@kobesbuddy (112065)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@DianneN I'm glad your hair is all better:)
@kobesbuddy Thanks and so am I. This happened years ago, and hubs had a new water filtration system put in. Knock on wood, we haven't had a problem since.
@rakski (69647)
I will not try something like that on me
I won't anymore.
@rakski (69647)
@DianneN glad to know that
No, I'm not so adventurous! :-)
@CarolDM (102792)
@DianneN asked to let you know she thinks you may have blocked her. She cannot see your comments.
@CarolDM Thank you. I've contacted her.
@CarolDM Thanks, Carol!
• Midland, Michigan
That was scary reading, Dianne. I'm sure we've all done weird things to ourselves but I can't put my finger on one at present.
Yes, we girls usually do something ridiculous in the name of beauty.
• Midland, Michigan
@DianneN I got my ears pierced when I was in my tried and years later they grew partially back. I decided to see if I could get earrings in them. I did but I almost passed out a few times trying. That probably doesn't count but...
@MarshaMusselman It does count! My friend and I decided to pierce each other's ears in our senior years of high school. I froze her ear with an ice cube, and as I inserted a sterilized sewing needed, I heard the crunch of frozen tissue and she screamed. We immediately called the doctor and made appointments to have him do it.
@LindaOHio (51677)
Oh, no! What a shocker! I tried to have my hair straightened a couple of time when it was stylish to have that mod British look. All I did was ruin my hair...my hair was still wavy.
I looked like an idiot and had to teach then. I had my hair made stick straight years ago for the same reasons as you. It was too straight for me, and once again I looked like an idiot.
@LindaOHio (51677)
@DianneN We were not so smart in our younger days, were we?
@msdivkar (17711)
I avoided dying of my hair since long.
You used to dye your hair? What color?
@msdivkar (17711)
@DianneN It is long long back and not many times. the colour has always been black.
@prinzcy (8275)
I tried those roll comb when I was young. I thought it's going to make me look pretty with beautiful curls on my hair. But my hair was twisted and couldn't be removed. Mom got annoyed, she cut part of my hair. It was a bit uneven for a while.
I used those, too, and got my hair stuck in the brushes. I had to rip my hair out! Why do we do these things to ourselves?
@prinzcy (8275)
@DianneN We were young back then. Too adventurous for our own good
@prinzcy That's right! Silly girls.
Oh my goodness Dianne, never use those products on your hair, use lemon juice to remove rust from your hair, should you have the problem again. You could suggest this product to his Orangeness to remove the "orange" from his hair.
What I should do is send Don a bottle of Iron Out and tell him it works miracles to make hair blonde. Thanks! I learned my lesson and hubs immediately put in a new filtration system. This happened years ago, and I've been fine since. Well, my hair has been fine.
@DianneN I would love to see Don bald May be he is losing his hair now because he is so angry, he is not a good loser. I am glad that your hair has been fine.
@betlynfrnds (3222)
Nope, never tried an Iron Out deal on my hair. Once, when I was a kid trying to be cool, I used vaseline in my hair. I thought that would never come out. I'm thankful that I can talk about it with a normal, healthy head of hair.
Vaseline must have been better than missing clumps of hair.
@DianneN I'm sure it was. I've never had missing clumps of hair and hope I never do.
@betlynfrnds Well, it happened a long time ago, and I've have blonde locks since, so it's over and done with.
@Nevena83 (55603)
• Serbia
Oh, I would definitely kill someone in that situation.
I wanted to kill myself! I looked so awful and had to go to school and teach looking like my head got caught in a windmill.
@Nevena83 (55603)
• Serbia
@DianneN I definitely wouldn’t get out of the house.
Oh yikes. We have rust in our water too. I hate it!
Does it stain your hair? For some reason, it always happened in the fall. We had a new filtration system installed, so have been rust free for years.
@DianneN we all have darker hair so I wouldn’t know. Mine is a reddish brown so rust color definitely wouldn’t be noticeable. We do have a water filter system for the house but it’s not the greatest.