Thanksgiving cactus

Midland, Michigan
I wonder what my specific cactus would be called in other countries unless they are mostly sold and grown for the USA. My particular cactus is called a Thanksgiving cactus because of the shape of the leaves And because they begin grown in November. There are ones knows as Christmas and Easter cacti too all with differently shaped leaves and starting their growth cycle at those times of the year. Mine bloomed November into January and it's beginning to bloom again. I hope to get pictures of it's current journey as it looks like I'm might have the whole plant blooming for the first time since it was very small. Crazy shared a link with me on the best way to water these plants when they are blooming and since I've been following that my plant has done so much better than previous years when I barely watered it at all. The large photo shows a portion of them plant that is blooming the insert shows a portion that is beginning to bud. I'm hoping as the blooms and bus get bigger that another section will begin to bud so the whole plants blooms for a change.
It's pretty. I have seen those. I had no idea they were called Thanksgiving cactuses.
• Midland, Michigan
More common term is Christmas cactus because they start selling them before Christmas. I've always called mine that too even though I knew it wasn't the same.
It looks great! I know zip about them.
• Midland, Michigan
I found that after having this one for many years that I knew zip about them too. So don't feel bad. Are you back home now or still in Vermont, I'll go look.
@MarshaMusselman We are still up in Vermont. I don't know when we will return to CT. It's so much fun up here.
• Midland, Michigan
@DianneN week glad you're having so much fun. Might as well enjoy the snow.
@moonandstars (46777)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
it's a special one, i feel.
• Midland, Michigan
Any plant that your can help grow is special.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@MarshaMusselman wisely said.
• Midland, Michigan
@CarolDM (117930)
• Nashville, Tennessee
I love the blooms on this one, never had one before.
• Midland, Michigan
I've had several. This is lasting the longest for me probably because I became determined to water it at least weekly. In the past I've only had half the plant bloom if I was lucky. Now I'm going the whole plant blooms or at least three forths of it and that it lasts until around Easter.
@CarolDM (117930)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@MarshaMusselman It is very pretty.
• Midland, Michigan
@CarolDM thanks, I've always enjoyed them. They come in a few different colors.
@vandana7 (79604)
Cactuses look exotic when they bloom, right? Really nice...does the flower open or does it remain in bud shape all the time.
• Midland, Michigan
It opens and sometimes has several blooms hooked together before they begin dying off. I hope to show the progression as each step unfolds.
@vandana7 (79604)
@MarshaMusselman Please do.
We have this one too - and in the same color! We propagated some last March - and while they were still small by November, we were surprised a bloom of two came out of some of them. I hope you get many blooms on yours!!
• Midland, Michigan
They'll bloom even when they're small.
@MarshaMusselman I didn't know that would happen!!
It pretty much looks like a Christmas cactus to me.
• Midland, Michigan
It's basically the same thing. It's the structure of the leaves that make it a Thanksgiving one. I still call or a Christmas cactus as that's easiest.
I thought they were called the Christmas Cactus. I don't have one so I don't rightly know.
• Midland, Michigan
I think generally speaking they are called that but I was told by a member that mine was actually a Thanksgiving cactus and once I checked out the leaves for each I found that to be true.
• Kenya
@marshaMusselman Not really
• Midland, Michigan
Ok.
• Kenya
@marshaMusselman thanks it looks beautiful. And I never knew their name.
• Midland, Michigan
You're welcome. Have you seen these before?
• Preston, England
beautiful - great name for the cacti too