100 years ago today: Wedded Bliss

This was borrowed from The Prescott daily news. (Prescott, Ark.) 1907-1941, February 22, 1921, Image 1Found on ChroniclingAmerica.Loc.Gov Doesn't this just warm your heart? 100 years ago today(ish) they celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary. The couple was originally from a little place called Galicia which is located in the Northwest portion of Spain. Absolutely cute & the woman looks to be wearing a little tiara.
@bunnybon7 (46878)
• Holiday, Florida
wow definately the good old days
I did the math and they would have been around 13 when they married! Wow! (I mean, my grandmother was 16 but 13? wow!)
@bunnybon7 (46878)
• Holiday, Florida
@ScribbledAdNauseum my grandma was 13 and grandpa 20. in late 1800's at least most marriages lasted then. They had 12 kids and they always still seemed so much in love .when I was little and Im 72 now
@bunnybon7 That kind of an age gap with marriages just isn't heard of today. Of course, I know (first hand) that marriages don't last as long as they used to either. People (not everyone, but a lot) don't want to work on their marriages anymore. My mom was 13 when she had my brother, but that's another story. I'm pretty sure that's the youngest a woman has had a baby in our family.
She looks precious.
She does! I love little stories like this and it was on the front page too!
@Chellezhere (2141)
That does not sound like a Spanish place name. Are you sure they were not from Galicia in Eastern Europe instead? I have ancestors who came from what is now Ukraine and settled in Arkansas and Oklahoma.
Galicia, historic region of eastern Europe that was a part of Poland before Austria annexed it in 1772; in the 20th century it was restored to Poland but was later divided between Poland and the Soviet Union. During the Middle Ages, eastern Galicia, situat
No, I wasn't completely sure when I posted this. I thought Spain was an odd place, but Anna noticed the thing I called a Tiara and explained that it was a comb that Spanish woman wear, so I assume she was from Spain.
@moffittjc (93233)
• Gainesville, Florida
Such a cute couple. And amazing that they were married for so many years. They must have gotten married a quite a young age.
Well it says they were 88 in this piece and married for 75 years, so yeah they were around 13 years of age!
@ScribbledAdNauseum , Awfully young to get married
@marlina marrying at the young of an age was not unusual back then.
@CarolDM (117923)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Amazing little romantic story for sure.
Such a cute little couple too! I love that style of hat on a man too, why aren't they back in fashion?
@CarolDM (117923)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@ScribbledAdNauseum I think anything goes these days.
@CarolDM Well, you aren't wrong. I've seen some very strange styles.
@LindaOHio (58506)
75 years is certainly a diamond anniversary. We made it to 50. I wish we could make it to 75.
I hope that you will get as close to it as possible.
@LindaOHio (58506)
@Tina30219 (67196)
• Onaway, Michigan
Yes it does because you don’t see many couples stay married that long. I was married 21 years.
I was married 2.5. Not sure I want to ever get married again.
@Tina30219 (67196)
• Onaway, Michigan
@ScribbledAdNauseum I am not sure either
@Tina30219 I think most people just stay in a committed relationship now without getting married. It's the easier thing in my opinion.
The capital of Galicia is Santiago de Compostela known as the culmination of the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route. It's not a tiara it is a Peiñeta, is a large decorative comb that Spanish woman wear, usually under a mantilla.
Oh, thank you very much for clarifying that for me. I was just basing it from what I could make out of the photo.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I show you how a peineta looks like. I have one somewhere that I bought in Spain, just because I liked it.
75 years is a long time to be married.
Absolutely! Lots of people give up way before that now.
@kaylachan (13615)
That is cute. I hope my marriage lasts that long.
I hope so too. Mine only lasted 2.5 years.
@JESSY3236 (13958)
That's sweet.