We knew it would be useful one day

Bunbury, Australia
Our hardware store gives us points every time we buy something. Some time back we used the points to buy a little gadget which we never thought we’d use but was too cute to pass up. I wrote about it when we purchased it as I was so impressed with its possibilities. You can catch up here: https://www.mylot.com/post/3415026/our-latest-acquisition. The gadget has several components. You can unscrew the mirror part which leaves you with a tiny light on the end of an extendable stick. We have sold our house and, as part of the conditions of sale, we had to ensure the spa was in working order. The pump died some time ago. Repairing the spa has been a real saga. Firstly, they don’t make the same pump any more. When we found one that would fit, it had to come from overseas. The pump and hoses are very difficult to fit as it’s nearly impossible to get to the spa taps from outside. However, luck was our side. Another thing we have in the workshop that we’ve never used was a long, slightly flexible ‘wand’ with a hook on the end. A telecommunications guy left it in the ceiling when the house was being built. I had to poke the light down the hole from inside. Once Vince (outside) established where the hole ended up (he could see the light), I poked down the tubing and Vince managed to hook it with the wand. TA DA! We pick up the pump on Monday from Perth and hopefully fitting that will be a breeze after what’s already happened. We reckon we’ve saved at least $1000 by doing the repair ourselves.
@xFiacre (9294)
@judyev You two are far too inventive. Glad to hear you’ve got the house sold - that was quick.
The wand with the hook has been sitting in the shed for about 18 years and we've never needed it but, for this job, nothing else would have done the trick. The estate agent had a couple waiting for a place like ours so we were lucky.
There was a little spring that the inspector found broken in our pump when we sold our last home, we opted to replace the entire pump as just replacing the little spring seemed next to impossible. I hope that your little tool will come in handy again.
When Vince first started investigating this problem, he thought there was no way he, or anyone else, could get to the problem to fix it so I know what you're saying.
@CarolDM (130225)
Sounds like a nice gadget to have. You two make such a great team.
Thanks. The one with the hook we haven't used in 18 years but it was ideal for this job.
@kobesbuddy (123780)
• East Tawas, Michigan
See Judy? You figured that wand would come in handy one fine day and it did! You just became a licensed plumber!
I had visions of having to take the spa bath which would have cost thousands.
@kobesbuddy (123780)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JudyEv I'm so glad you and Vince were able to fix it!
@kobesbuddy It was very tricky. Vince was scratching his head for a while.
@DaddyEvil (39065)
Good thinking, that! Congratulations on getting the difficult part done!
Having the right tools makes all the difference. The hook affair sat in the shed for 18+ years. lol
@DaddyEvil (39065)
@JudyEv I'm glad the telephone repair guy left if for you all those years ago.
@DaddyEvil Maybe he had a feeling that one day we'd need it.
@DocAndersen (39259)
loving the saga sorry about the agony of Da Spa. I would have to agree on the value of SPA's but they are a pain. Ours, sits outside and had a leak last year during the shutdown, we had to wait 11 weeks for it to be safe for a repairperson to come out and replace all the tubing.
We enjoyed it for a while particularly if we'd worked really hard and were stiff and sore.
@DocAndersen (39259)
@JudyEv that is what I use mine for - they are relaxing. we have a neighborhood pool but the spa is more private!
@DocAndersen Our new place won't even have a bath - just a shower. But there is a heated pool less that 100 metres away so perhaps we'll get used to using that.
That's a great doohicky to help get your spa fixed.
Doohicky - what a great word! I've heard of it but don't see it too often and it's not used here much at all. lol
@JudyEv It rolled off my fingertips. I haven't heard it used in a very long time but felt it fit.
@just4him It's a very good fit!
You and Vince make a wonderful team. Glad you figured it out and made excellent use of your gadgets. Funny how we never know what will come in handy.
So serendipitous! Is that the right word? Nothing else would have helped.
@RebeccasFarm (29062)
Well I tell you wasnt that a stroke of luck
It was indeed and it saved us a heap of money.
@JudyEv Brilliant and blessing
@LindaOHio (64085)
Yay! I'm glad you two are handy.
I was thinking we'd have to replace the whole spa bath which would have cost a lot of money.
That gadget really did come in handy!
Yes, it was ideal for what we had to do.
@wolfgirl569 (40016)
• Marion, Ohio
Hope the rest of the work goes smoothly.
Thanks. It might be touch and go whether the pump fits or not but we'll keep our fingers crossed.
@kaylachan (17797)
I'm sure you did, and it's great you managed to get it working.
Thanks. It is such a relief as we had to fix it somehow whatever it cost.