Songs You Might Not Know Were Covers Vol. 9: Dream a Little Dream of Me (#10)

@FourWalls (35598)
FREEDOM!!! There’s nothing as rewarding as hearing “you’re done” from the physical therapist!! Makes you wanna have lunch at your favorite Tex-Mex restaurant and sing!! You don’t want to hear me sing, so I’ll leave it to the professionals. Here’s a song you might remember from a big hit version and not known it was a cover. #10: Dream a Little Dream of Me Age has its privileges. One of those privileges centers around music. Like the t-shirt (and meme) says, I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands. That includes the Mamas and the Papas. DANG, could Mama Cass sing. That was so evident on this departure from folk rock hit from 1968, where she turned on the charm like she was singing a 30s song. You know what? She was singing a 30s song. This song goes back to Ozzie. No, not OZZY, the bat-eater, but Ozzie Nelson. If you’ve ever seen (or heard of) The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet and wondered just who those two people were, here’s your answer. Ozzie Nelson started his long career in show biz as a band leader in the late 1920s. His “orchestra” (what most pop bands were called then, hardly a real orchestra) was very popular during the 30s. In 1931 Ozzie Nelson gave us the first recording of “Dream a Little Dream of Me.” That was ten years before Cass Elliot was born. Just goes to show that good music doesn’t have an expiration date. And, for the record, this is one of those cases where the cover blows the original out of the water! Dream a Little Dream of Me Written by Fabian Andre, Wilbur Schwandt, and Gus Kahn Originally recorded by Ozzie Nelson and His Orchestra, 1931 Famously covered by the Mamas & the Papas, 1968 The original from 1931, with Ricky Nelson’s dad on vocals:
Ozzie Nelson - DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME - Fabian Andree, Wilbur Schwandt, Gus Khan.Ano de 1931.
@myklj999 (61233)
Didn't The Kentucky Churchmens Trio cover this too?
@FourWalls (35598)
Yeah, with ol’ Eustice B. Small singing lead.
@DocAndersen (48641)
Funny that Ozzie became known as Ricky's dad, he (Ozzie) and Harriet were quite famous on their own! nice song, the kind of song a very young person would share!
@FourWalls (35598)
I actually don’t mind being a boring old fart. Pete Townshend kinda made that cool.
@DocAndersen (48641)
@FourWalls i just want to make sure I am not in your doghouse!
@FourWalls (35598)
@DocAndersen — no room for you in there with a dog AND Hank Williams!!
Move It On Over was the first Hank Williams' first country hit reaching in 1947 rank #4 on country singles chart.ame in last night at half past tenThat baby ...
• Austin, Texas
Guess I've been living under a rock. I didn't even know Ozzie Nelson could sing.
@FourWalls (35598)
Nothing like Mama Cass, though.
Official audio to "Dream a Little Dream of Me" by The Mamas and The PapasMore from TMATP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk(C) 1966 Geffen Records
• Austin, Texas
@FourWalls - There will never be another Mama Cass. She was a one of a kind. She was definitely the voice of that popular group. I loved them!
@andreea_v (139)
This a gorgeous song! I love it so much! And I love when it is featured in movies. Does anyone like that too?
I know the song just never heard this version, I like it by Doris Day and by Mama Cass,
@LindaOHio (74859)
Congrats on finishing your PT. Had no idea Ozzie Nelson was a singer. Love Cass Elliott.
@RebeccasFarm (42240)
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Yes I do know it and remember well.
Yay to you! No more PT is awesome. Ozzie? Wow! This song has been around for a long time.
@CarolDM (152882)
Congrats on being free from PT. The original goes way back.
Slope