Couscous day.

Image borrowed from Pinterest.
@Babino (5828)
Morocco
In Morocco, there's this tradition that every Friday we eat couscous. Wherever you are, in a hospital, at work, in restaurants.. there's couscous in the menu. Of course in a restaurants you can ask for something else, but you won't get couscous unless it's Friday. As I live alone, I don't make couscous, it's a family meal, otherwise it will be too much work for one person. I should ask my mom to make it for me when I go visit next time, I miss having couscous. Have you ever tried couscous or heard of it ? Picture borrowed from Pinterest.
@TheSojourner (51211)
I have eaten both kinds of couscous. There is the very small one, that I make small quantity. B the one in the photo you shared is a larger couscous that is labeled "Israeli couscous" but I find it not so often. I prefer the larger because I like the feel of it in my mouth. But I eat the other small one fairly often.
This is the recipe that I used to make just enough for me with a little extra. The original recipe was double this. 1Tbsp extra virgin olive oil 3/4 tsp minced garlic (1 clove) 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth) 1/2 tsp lemon zest 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice Salt 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, or more to taste (optional)* 1/2 cup couscous (not pearl couscous)
@Babino (5828)
• Morocco
That's awesome !!! You really do know a lot about food from everywhere !!
@Babino Well, I'm 40 years older than you, and I've always been interested in different cultures. I have always believed that food is what brings us together, because we all have to eat. Even people who fight one another will stop fighting, eat, and then get back to the war. I joined the military and left home when I was 18 years old so that I could meet people and do things differently. I'm glad that I did. I didn't live abroad, but I always was drawn to people who were from different cultures and I learned to cook many different styles. Now I kind of make it my own. But I don't use many recipes other than simply as a guideline.
@jobelbojel (31214)
Looks delicious. Your story sounds interesting that this meal is something that is already in your culture.
@Babino (5828)
• Morocco
It is delicious !! Yeah it's a nice cultural habit.
@jobelbojel (31214)
@Babino Thumbs up! You have a unique culture
@CarolDM (187092)
Never heard of it. Enjoy!
@Babino (5828)
• Morocco
Thanks.
@CarolDM (187092)
@RebeccasFarm (66706)
I have never tasted it. That plate there of food looks delicious. I hope you can go home to have couscous with your Mom.
@Babino (5828)
• Morocco
It looks even better when I'm hungry. I hope that too.
• Walnut Creek, California
I have heard of it. But what is couscous?
@Babino (5828)
• Morocco
It's this thing in the picture, it's a Moroccan dish we eat every Friday.
I've heard of it but never had it.
@Babino (5828)
• Morocco
Yeey glad the name reached you.
@Nawsheen (28782)
• Mauritius
I have never tasted that. I would love to one day
@Babino (5828)
• Morocco
It does look good doesn't it. I hope you get the chance.
@xFiacre (10681)
@babino Every day should be couscous day. It is a truly glorious feast to sit down to with family and friends.
@Babino (5828)
• Morocco
That is true but kind of hard to do these days..
@mom210 (8877)
I have put them in a stew before, I was a nice change
@Babino (5828)
• Morocco
That's awesome, glad you enjoyed it.
@AliCanary (2730)
Yes, my friend's mother from Bangladesh made it for us. The grains were smaller than in the picture, though. The ones in the picture look a lot like hominy (it's made from corn).
is it a delicacy of mutton and potato? Why is it eaten on friday?
@Edsamacos (558)
That looks good and delicious.
@FayeHazel (39131)
I've heard of couscous but I don't think I've had it. Is that a picture of it?
Yes, they sell it in a box here. It isn't bad...just another grain.
@Orson_Kart (5668)
I often have couscous as an alternative to rice or pasta. It needs something added to make it palatable but sometimes I buy a packet mix and just add water. Ainsley Harriott does a few different ones including a Moroccan mix. When they are 3 for £1 I usually buy them to keep a few handy if I fancy couscous.