Interesting fact that I learned today.

Israel
Did you know that the word "slave" came from the fact that before the slaves were taken from Africa, people were taken against their will from the Slavic countries? So that is where we get the word "slave" from in English. What did you learn today?
@aninditasen (9360)
• Raurkela, India
Good there's no slavery in the world now. Thanks for sharing this information.
• Israel
I am not so sure about that but we can always hope that there is not so much slavery.
• Raurkela, India
@lifecoachjerusalem I think it's gone except in the middle east I think.
@porwest (58603)
@aninditasen I think slavery just exists in a different form these days. In the United States, for example, I think welfare is a form of slavery. The government essentially owns you and people become slaves to the benefits and the system does not encourage people to get off the dole.
@moonandstars (62600)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
educational, thank you. just, slavic tribes and languages are a large group. i also feel tribes in general , when there were migrations in european field, did that among themselves.from 9th to 11th century were tough times.
• Israel
I think for everyone those times were very difficult to live in except if you were in the upper class and had lots of servants.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@lifecoachjerusalem before christ, in so called latin countries, like italy actually, roman empire and when it spread over other countries, slaves were actually a class, the lowest, of course and they had to wait for their masters to set them free. awful, when you think about it. gladiator portrays that segment the best.
@sjvg1976 (37814)
What are these Slavic countries known with which make nowadays?
@PhredWreck (8630)
• Olney, Illinois
There is a difference between a fact and a theory. What you state is only one theory of the origin.
• Israel
I got it from a history book: US History that I downloaded from Amazon. Kindle Maybe you can't belive everything you read in books . ..
U.S. History - Kindle edition by Corbett, P. Scott, Janssen, Volker John M. Lund, Todd Pfannestiel, Paul Vickery, OpenStax. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting
@sol_cee (32766)
What are Slavic countries?
• Israel
According to Wikipedia, Slavic countries are the countries in the Balkans, Russians, Ukrainians, Belorussia. For more information you can go here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs
@porwest (58603)
Hmm. I did not know that. That is definitely a new one on me. Very interesting. As for what I learned today, so far this is the only thing. lol