Beyond grateful

@sallypup (53001)
Centralia, Washington
I keep journals. Most days I scribble down something about that particular time. Last night I ran into my 1991 book of days. Oh my GAWD. At that time I was in my 30s. My Dad had just kicked my hubby, me and my school age daughter out as he lay dying. We managed to scrape enough money together to buy a shack by Puget Sound- an inner part of the Pacific ocean. On the outskirts of an Indian reservation. HOW did we have the strength back then to keep on going? My hands were over full. I was trying to get work coming in that would pay enough for the house payments plus we had to eat and daughter needed shoes and pants etc. Hubby was going to school to be a drug counselor and volunteering there. Our cars were beyond crappy. They kept quitting on us in the middle of intersections. My Mom would give us things. One of my sisters gave us home canned fruit. On we went. We loved that house and its garden and being near the Sound. And yet we had to fight so hard to stay alive. Thank God hubby would end up in Grad school and then that mad drive East over the mountains to see if he would get that Social Worker job. He did and slowly we pulled away from The Great Depression. I am open mouthed grateful as I wade into another December, not worrying about every teeny penny I spend.
I think that everyone goes thru some hard times over the course of their lives. It builds character, and I know for myself, when I think back to the times that our bank account was the lowest, we were the happiest. Happiness isn't bought in our lives, it is naturally there, just with less worries.
I'm glad you found that notebook and could remember what it was like in the beginning and where you are today. You have much to be thankful for.
@sallypup (53001)
• Centralia, Washington
@just4him Due to discrimination the first twenty years of my married life were spent in hard scrabble poverty.
@sallypup That's a hard place to be. I've been in poverty. It's not a nice place to be. In ways, I'm still in poverty as I depend on Social Services, Housing, and the government to keep me going. Actually, that's not true. I depend on God to keep me going. He's more dependable than the government.
@sallypup (53001)
• Centralia, Washington
@just4him I am glad you have the government backing you. I am grateful my husband received a pension as well as social security.
I feel like times used to be even harder as there wasn’t all the assistance for people that there is now. I think I recall you writing about that hard time in your life before . I am glad those years are over and things got better. In 1991 I believe I was in 5th grade.
@sallypup my parents were the same way until my father had a stroke at 50 that left him unable to work. He had such a hard time getting any help so now he accepts whatever he can get.
@sallypup (53001)
• Centralia, Washington
@shaggin You're a little younger than my daughter. My family was proud. We took as little public help as possible. We made our food when we could. Prices for anything is so high now.
Wow, you have come a long way. You sure wouldn't want to be scrabbling for every dime now. When you are older, you deserve some comfort.
@TheSojourner (62685)
I think it's nice that you keep your journals. I used to get rid of them to get rid of the evidence of how I was feeling. I did find a journal a couple of weeks ago in a box in the garage written from June 21, 2012, starting the day of my cancer surgery, until December 26th the same year. I wasn't just writing in it, but asked others to write to me in it. It included nurses, doctors, hospital cleaning crew, family members and visitors, total strangers I'd meet along the way,and much more. Those were the six months from when I heard "you have 6 months to a year ( to live), two, if Lucky." I'm glad that we both have found something that reminds us of where we've been, and how far we've come.
@sallypup (53001)
• Centralia, Washington
@TheSojourner Your book is a keeper for sure. The older I get the more I wonder about leaving the evidence behind, so to say. I have considered a bonfire and it still stays with me and maybe I will some time. Or rip certain parts out? Life can't be ripped out like that but oh well.
@sallypup There are just some things that no one needs to know. I will revisit some things, but will rewrite those things in something that I want to leave behind for the world to see. I'm actually thinking of taking this mentioned journal and putting it together, using excerpts of it, into a book titled something like: "SIX MONTHS TO LIVE: Saying what needs to be said and reading what needs to be read."
@wolfgirl569 (69653)
• Marion, Ohio
There had to be many good memories back then.
• Rockingham, Australia
That sounds like such an incredibly tough time for you. I sometimes look back and am amazed at where we are now.
• Israel
@sallypup I am sorry you were all kicked out and that you found a place. It sounds like things are different now. How did the job work out for your husband?
@LindaOHio (114176)
It's amazing how we survive those dark times, isn't it? I'm glad you're comfortable now. I enjoy reading my diaries from when I was in my pre-teen and teen years.