Does anyone know anything about Barak Obama?

@SimplyMe (373)
I am interested in learning more about him. I have heard him speak and he seems intelligent, but soft spoken. Any other info?
@speakeasy (4215)
Barack Obama - born in Honolulu, HI. Father was a black Muslim from Kenya and mother was an atheist from Wichita KS. Parents divorced when he was 2 and his father returned to Kenya. Mother then remarried a "radical Muslim" from Indonesia and when he was 6 years old the family moved to Indonesia. The majority of his education was spent in a Wahabi Muslim school, though he did spend 2 years in a Catholic school. (If you are unfamiliar with the Wahabi Muslim sect - they are Muslim extremists and many of them are terrorists, actively supporting the Jihad.) Obama has recently joined the "United Church of Christ" here in the US because it is politically expediant and he is "playing down" all the years his stepfather was raising him to be a Wahabi Muslim. He is very outspoken against the war in Iraq and is trying to ignore questions about the "war on terror". So far that is all I have been able to find out for sure but I am still looking into this person.
@soccermom (3200)
Barack Obama, in my opinion, is one of the most honest down to Earth politicians we have seen in decades. He did go to a muslim school when he was a child, however only spent a couple years there. He has been a member of the "United Church of Christ" for about 20 years. I get a tad frustrated that people only want to focus on the fact he attended a muslim school. He attended the "madrassa" from the time he was 6 until he was 8. Hardly enough time to turn him into a terrorist. He then attended a Catholic school for two years before returning to Hawaii to attend the esteemed Punahao Academy. His parents are described as agnostic, and definately non practicing muslims. It seems to me that just because Obama wanted to learn more about his estranged father and his heritage he is being tagged as sympathetic toward terrorist causes.This is ridiculous. Obama said himself his mother was a "deeply spiritual person and would spend alot of time talking about values and give me books about the worlds religions and talk to me about them." I live in Illinois and have seen first hand the change this man has helped bring about. I think it's time to put the whole "Muslim" thing aside. Islam can be interpreted in many ways, as can Christianity and every other religion. As far as ignoring the war on terror, he has said many times he doesn't believe the war should've been started, it's time to bring the troops home and he has never waivered on his opinion. Although the war in Iraq is important, it is not the only thing of importance in this election. I think at this point in the campaign he's choosing to focus on issues that are important domestically. I respect him for just being himself, and not having to put on a false accent or any crazy rhetoric to try to convey his point. I hope you continue to do the research on the candidates, as it is important to weigh all the information and not just go by what you hear on Fox news and other networks. As for me, I've been doing my research and I hope Obama wins the nomination, he's the freshest face we've got.
Well, I know that he doesn't have as much political experience as Hillary Clinton, and I really think he seems to be hiding behind rhetoric without any actual policies or groundbreaking ideas. He also seems a little hasty on Iraq. I don't think we should be there anymore but I think a phased withdrawal would make more sense than leaving them to the sharks...