Politicians Say Call 911 If Someone Is Smoking In A Public Place?

@elmiko (6640)
I heard this a while back but its obviously dumb. The 911 operators said No because it would overload their phone calls and block real emergencies. I can't remember where this was but maybe someone could say on here.
@myklj999 (18406)
I have no idea what idiot politician said this, but they were absolutely wrong to do so. 911 is for emergency calls, not to report someone breaking some little ordinance. I'm not sure what state you are in, but Illinois has a toll free 1-800 number to call to report violations. I think it's all rather silly myself; next thing you know people are going to be reporting each other for seat belt violations and such.
@elmiko (6640)
just as long as most people stay away from foolishness they won't have to worry about getting caught in this nonsense.
@Taskr36 (13925)
In some places you would be fined for making a false emergency call if you did anything that stupid. 911 is not a federally operated organization and the rules vary from state to state, county to county, and city to city. There are still places in the US that don't even have 911. Here in Tampa, FL there is a non-emergency number to call if it's something petty like that. Odds are cops won't bother to respond anyway, but if you call 911, they'll just direct you to call that number.
@elmiko (6640)
I know they probably fine people in most places for nonsense calls to 911. It makes sense.
@anniepa (27238)
I have no idea where this could have been either but I'll say this much - if this were ever actually suggested in some areas the calls would never stop because the "Smoke Police" think they own the world and nobody would ever get through in a true emergency! Annie
@elmiko (6640)
This would have no way of being sustainable over time. I don't even think I should type about this anymore.
@Cocoa33 (921)
the operators were right and have their heads on straight. it would be dumb to waste a 911 on calling someone who is smoking. there are more important things to call 911 for. it would be a waste of time.