Large sow ribs? Those are just pork ribs right?

@lilybug (21184)
I was at the grocery store the other day and they had several different types of ribs on sale. One of them was a package of large sow ribs for only 69 cents per pound. That was really cheap! They were a lot bigger than the others. Have you ever had large sow ribs? Do they taste like regular pork ribs?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (I use a St Louis style ribs in Alberta Canada, these were actually sow ribs, from breeding stock, the rib bones were bigger and meatier as the animals are 3-4 years old, most hogs are slaughtered at 12-18 months.) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (1) It seems that the age of the pig slaughtered makes a difference. The sow ribs are from animals used for breeding and are bigger. I also think the cut of meat might be different. Specifically, the page where I found the quote talks about St. Louis Style Ribs as opposed to baby backs. They apparently come from different areas. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Various included footnotes: 1) What's the Difference between Baby Back Ribs and St. Louis Ribs? - ( http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080201133640AA1UgaU ) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@tdemex (3551)
Yes but the reason thier so cheap is there's hardly any meat, your paying for bone and the bones aren't even good for your dog. usually good for boiling for a soup base. Sorry but give them a try light season them wrap in tin foil ans slow cook in oven for a few hrs. see what's left. Good Luck! tdemex
@lilybug (21184)
I did not buy any of them cause I was not sure. 69 cents a pound seemed way too cheap. Thanks for the info though.
@tdemex (3551)
Oh! okay thought you got some! Sorry I guess I didn't understand the discussion!
• Lubbock, Texas
If, as Daddy of the Rose said, they are from older breeders, the meat is probably tough. They would need to be marinated in barbque sauce and cooked really slow for a long period of time. The taste may be a little stronger than younger pig.